Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cat

Was part of the group buy, and i finally had a chance to get the FI RHFC put on my car. My car already had Kinetix HFC, ARK CBE, and Stillen G3 CAI all of which made my car pretty loud at any RPM. When i say loud i mean hear from a block away driving loud. After the install of the FI RHFC i noticed a difference in sound right away. It made the exhaust much quiter. At highway speeds the noise level is hardly noticeble anymore. I do have an exhaust leak though, be aware that these only ship with the rear gaskets, i will probably have to get some new header gaskets to get rid of the slight leak, but maybe it will go away once they are broken in some more. Overall though the sound is great. The exhaust still sounds mean when i get on it but not obnoxiously loud when just cruising around. I never got pulled over with my old setup but living in CA why tempt fate. I will try to post up some short before and after videos so you can hear the difference in sound.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
The silicone didn't work for you when sealing the cats to the manifold? BTW, I love my FI RHFCs too! It surely made my Stillen exhaust quieter, by dropping the exhaust note a few octaves.

Question: Did you do your install? Were your O2 sensor wires long enough to use the clips they were originally in? In the meanwhile, I used some zip ties to secure the wires out of the way of road debris.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess i didnt use enough sealent then. either way just going to buy a new gasket and to get rid of the leak. My wires were not long enough to use the stock clip but i just use zip ties to secure them in place.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM
dnieto82

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You know I was also part of the group buy, I just install these yesterday, a little bit of a pain, was not to happy that you have to use hi temp silicone, O2 sensor did no reach the clip, I also used zip ties, and also I did not like the fact that you cold not re use the cat brace. It would seem that it would not be supported as time pass and will create some sort of rattle. As for sound and performance there is a difference, no CEL light Yet but I'm afraid the silicone will not work after a while...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dnieto82
You know I was also part of the group buy, I just install these yesterday, a little bit of a pain, was not to happy that you have to use hi temp silicone, O2 sensor did no reach the clip, I also used zip ties, and also I did not like the fact that you cold not re use the cat brace. It would seem that it would not be supported as time pass and will create some sort of rattle. As for sound and performance there is a difference, no CEL light Yet but I'm afraid the silicone will not work after a while...
True statement about the silicone. We need gaskets, but who wants to go through installing them after the cats are already on? Not I.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I want louder, not quieter. But louder in a good way, don't want it to sound like a broken down pony. Which HFC should I get.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Theese are as loud as you wanna go, except test pipes.
That **** is loud.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
I also have the RHFC and I used liquid gaskets when doing the install. I was told that they will hold better than the traditional gaskets. They do have some hiss but no rasp at all plus it made my exhaust much louder and it sounds exactly what I wanted to.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Paneraiguy

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I put mine on this weekend and I will say that they made a noticeable acceleration boost at WOT. I was also told the high temp silicon is perfectly fine for sealing the cats to the headers.

So after driving 24 hrs so far my impressions are the following:

1. The the craftsmenship is top tier.
2. Noticeably harder acceleration at WOT (I have and ARK CBE and stillen gen3)
3. It did make the exhaust louder but I am noticing it is starting to mellow a little(only been on the car since Saturday morning)
4. I don't like that they don't have bolt tabs to reuse the factory brace.( I may have a local shop weld some on and install the factory brace)
5. I have some low frequency vibration when at idol ( nothing bad just noticeable). I think installing the brace would remedy some of that but not sure.

For me, I wouldn't have been happy with just plain HFC combined with my CBE since the sound would have been to obnoxious (just for me that is)since I want "refined sedan with punch" sound levels rather than "racer dude" sound levels.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
dnieto82

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
I put mine on this weekend and I will say that they made a noticeable acceleration boost at WOT. I was also told the high temp silicon is perfectly fine for sealing the cats to the headers.

So after driving 24 hrs so far my impressions are the following:

1. The the craftsmenship is top tier.
2. Noticeably harder acceleration at WOT (I have and ARK CBE and stillen gen3)
3. It did make the exhaust louder but I am noticing it is starting to mellow a little(only been on the car since Saturday morning)
4. I don't like that they don't have bolt tabs to reuse the factory brace.( I may have a local shop weld some on and install the factory brace)
5. I have some low frequency vibration when at idol ( nothing bad just noticeable). I think installing the brace would remedy some of that but not sure.

For me, I wouldn't have been happy with just plain HFC combined with my CBE since the sound would have been to obnoxious (just for me that is)since I want "refined sedan with punch" sound levels rather than "racer dude" sound levels.
I also installed over the weekend and I have been driving my car all day. I did noticed vibration from the exhaust as it idleling or if I'm driving and the cars rpm drops down to 2000 rpm and I could hear it. I need to add this sock brace as well. Im not happy with the noise. Also I noticed it sound like when I rave it an d drop down to low rpms I hear this small vibrations type from the exhaust x pipe only when I let go of the gas... Any one have the same? I'm running manga flow CBE.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Paneraiguy

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dnieto82
I also installed over the weekend and I have been driving my car all day. I did noticed vibration from the exhaust as it idleling or if I'm driving and the cars rpm drops down to 2000 rpm and I could hear it. I need to add this sock brace as well. Im not happy with the noise. Also I noticed it sound like when I rave it an d drop down to low rpms I hear this small vibrations type from the exhaust x pipe only when I let go of the gas... Any one have the same? I'm running manga flow CBE.
I would take the car to a local "trusted" muffler shop and see if they can weld a tab on the CATs so the brace can be put back on.

The sound is a bit much for me at the moment but not outrageous. It is not raspy at least but the best description I can think of is that my ARK CBE was originally at 6 on the volume before I installed the FI RHFC. After the install it was turned up to 8. Same nice exhaust note but amplified.

I think we need to give it a few hundred miles to let everything settle in?

I don't know how guys drive around with test pipes and a full exhaust.

If it's too loud then you're too old...well, I am too damn old then.

I am still satisfied with the perceived performance results.

Anyone know if cats usually settle in and eventually taper down the sound?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM
2009G37Bandit

Paneraiguy.

I really like your POSTS man. You nail it right on the money, every time. Concise, great real life info. Love it.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a CBE and some HFC's. Trying to figure this out. I am a Commercial Banker (who gives a %^&*), but just saying, this is my work car and don't want to sound like a rice box, but do want it to scream when I get on it..............

I am interested in the feedback and elaboration on #4.

"I don't like that they don't have bolt tabs to reuse the factory brace.( I may have a local shop weld some on and install the factory brace)"

I haven't looked under the car so I don't know what he's talking about, but is this an issue (souinds like there IS a rattle at idle???). If so, would love to solve it BEFORE I install it, or while it is being installed. Welding (or something similar) to support the CBE better could be a solution? Again, I haven't looked so I don't know exactly what I am talking about, just speaking in generalities.

The Bandit......................
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
2009G37Bandit

Follow up Post. Guys, WHAT do I need to KNOW about the install of these and my CBE, likely an ARK for my G37 SEDAN?

1. Someone mentioned there is no gasket for the front?
2. The rattle (how can this be solved? Welding a brace, something else?)

What are a few Tricks, Tipss, Suggestions, you guys can tell me so I won't run into the same problems and I can be prepared before I get these installed?

What gasket do I need to buy (Or, should I get to ensure there is no Exhaust Leak)?

Also, is ARK GRIP CBE a good choice for my Sedan???? I heard a clip of the exhaust Black Betty got in a group purchase (forgot the name off the top of my head). I loved that exhaust note.

The ARK, from my memory, seems to be really deep and has a lot of Bass? I don't mind deep if it screams at WOT. I am alomost thinking I don't want resonated CATS? I don't want it to be too quiet?

Thanks so much!

Bandit..............
Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2009G37Bandit
Follow up Post. Guys, WHAT do I need to KNOW about the install of these and my CBE, likely an ARK for my G37 SEDAN?

1. Someone mentioned there is no gasket for the front?
2. The rattle (how can this be solved? Welding a brace, something else?)

What are a few Tricks, Tipss, Suggestions, you guys can tell me so I won't run into the same problems and I can be prepared before I get these installed?

What gasket do I need to buy (Or, should I get to ensure there is no Exhaust Leak)?

Also, is ARK GRIP CBE a good choice for my Sedan???? I heard a clip of the exhaust Black Betty got in a group purchase (forgot the name off the top of my head). I loved that exhaust note.

The ARK, from my memory, seems to be really deep and has a lot of Bass? I don't mind deep if it screams at WOT. I am alomost thinking I don't want resonated CATS? I don't want it to be too quiet?

Thanks so much!

Bandit..............

1) There aren't any gaskets included where the cats connect to the exhaust manifold. You have to use high-temp silicone.

2) I haven't personally experienced a rattle, but the factory cross brace (that was used on the stock cats) is not used with this application. The FI RFHCs are aroud 7 lbs. lighter than stock (if I remember correctly) so I don't think they need the extra support.

"What are a few Tricks, Tipss, Suggestions, you guys can tell me so I won't run into the same problems and I can be prepared before I get these installed?"

Get a shop to install them if you can. It's a small price to pay, if you're looking to save time, and the possibility of damaging an oxygen sensor as I did. Also don't use an impact.

I'm running a Stillen CBE with the FI RFHCs. There are 2 resonators on the cats, and 2 before the mufflers. I love the sound, as the sound isn't too loud with the windows up at WOT. My G is a daily driver, so I didn't want to get too much sound, but IMO the volume and tone is awesome for me. It's louder than stock, louder than a CBE alone, but not crazy loud.

Last edited by Dj1ofDet; 08-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
2009G37Bandit

DJ in the House! Thanks for a thoughful and well written response. I also use my car for work as a DD, BUT, do want it to scream (and be quiet when I want it to be, lik ewhen I'm highway crusing at 70 MPH in the 2K RPM range.

Does anyone offer the specific size gaskets (for purchase), and would they be useful for connecting the Cats to the exhaust manifold connection?

I'm looking at the ARK Grip, or possibly the newest Motordyne Exhaust (IF, they offer a Motordyne CBE for a Sedan, no one has confirmed they do yet. Just need to call them to get this answered).

It sounds liek as of now, I am looking at the ARK Grip CBE (Stainless Tips. Not sure the burnt tips or the crazy colored blue/red tinted one would look goon on a Black Sedan?)

t5hen I just need to figure out which HFC to get?

The resonated one is an option, but I have learned from experience to always go one more than you want, because after you get it, you always wished you had a little more. maybe I can get a FI HFC that are NOT resonated. I might call Fast Intentions to have a talk with them to get their opinion on what to get after I tell them what sound I am after.

Thanks agian and any more comments are appreciated!

The Bandit.............

Quick Reply: Review Fast Intentions Resonated High Flow Cat