Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2008 g37s coupe A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Codyvonelm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 g37s coupe A/C not working

Hey guys so I bought my car two years ago the first summer the ac worked but started noticing it wasn’t very cold so I ended up taking it to sears and they re charged it and it worked but then started not being ice cold anymore and just being kinda cold . So it was fine for that summer I didn’t care to much , so now October my car goes into a shop for body work as I was rear ended I didn’t get my back until April which sucked but I didn’t care to much as I was gonna drove in winter months with all the salt . So I get it back everything’s good now it starts getting hot again and the ac doesn’t work st all just hot air so I take it get it recharged and still nothing but hot air then I buy one of those ac pro cans and hook it up and notice the compressor never engages with the ac on but then when I plug that ac pro in to the ac line and pull the trigger the compressor engages but I went in my car to feel it and it was still hot air even with the compressor going . So I took it back too sears to have them check it out and they said my condenser is bad which means I would need a whole new radiator because it’s built onto the radiator as one piece and it would be about $1800 for the parts and $1500 for labor or something ridiculous like that I know it was over 3000 dollars so I left and started thinking about he can’t I just replace the condenser isn’t it mounted to the side of the radiator ? It’s not one piece of inside the radiator like he made it seem is it? And even when I was looking online I could radiators with condensers for 300-600 dollars or more or less depending what you want but I just wanted some advice as the summer is coming and I’d like to fix this problem. Thanks so much for reading , Cody
Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
get a used/rebuilt radiator/condenser for a few hundred dollars, the install shouldn't be very much its not terribly difficult to get too but will probably require a coolant drain and fill and a recharge...don't take it to sears any independent shop should be able to do it
The following users liked this post:
Codyvonelm (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:06 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
For one, I wouldn't take a pretzel to Sears least of all now that they are bankrupt- just my opinion. How did they determine your condenser was bad and what was the finding? Pinhole leak? Bent fins? Leaking seals?

More than likely you have a slow leak somewhere which caused the refrigerant to leak out and allow atmospheric air to enter the system. You can put 100 cans of refrigerant into the system but if there is ANY atmospheric air in the system, it will NEVER cool.

There are several tests that could be done but without proper gauges/tools it will be difficult to do these at home. At the least, do you have a UV "blacklight?" These cars come from the factory with a fluorescent dye already injected into the AC system. You could trace all of the AC components/condenser/lines/fittings for traces of this dye which may indicate a potential leak source.

I would take the car to a proper/reputable AC repair service and have a proper leak test. If the problem is indeed the condenser it is more than likely either a failed o-ring seal or a pinhole leak. Replacing the condenser is relatively easy and straight forward and a new, OEM ones
runs about $500, or, as Hashim suggested- search for used/rebuilt options or aftermarket. After repair the AC system will have to be evacuated (pull a deep vacuum) before charging with refrigerant as well as refilling the antifreeze/coolant.

A lot to read- hopefully some of this helps
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (04-11-2019)