MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Transmission fluid change (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/292202-transmission-fluid-change.html)

photopro 04-02-2019 09:23 PM

Transmission fluid change

who do you guys and ladies trust for transmission fluid change transfer case, etc.
09x sedan, 106k, runs great gonna keep it for a little while longer. thanks

04G35NYC 04-02-2019 11:24 PM

With such high miles, don't touch it. Keep driving it and enjoy it

Said Amir 04-03-2019 03:46 AM

Transfer case, and the front and rear differential is really easy to change if you want to do it. Also if you do get the transmission fluid changed make sure they do a drain and fill, and not a flush. Because if they flush it, it will mess up the transmission by pushing gunk into other places that it does not belong. But then again it is best if you drain and fill the transmission fluid also since you will not be able to get all of the fluid out all at once, but having to drive it get the fluid to circulate, and drain and fill it 2 more times. Their is videos online, and on the forum about doing these fluid changes.

Evorus5 04-06-2019 02:45 PM

Adding on to this..
My transmission was swapped out by Infiniti in November with a brand new 6mt. I was talking to another g owner and he suggested I switch over to Redline fluid. Should I have a shop flush the old fluids or should I just drain and fill?
The transmission has about 4k miles.

Said Amir 04-08-2019 12:12 AM

The safe bet is drain and fill. Also since you have a 6mt that is much much easier to do, since you already have a drain and fill bolt, unlike the 7at it is a much different process filling it back up with fluid.

Conboss 04-09-2019 08:59 PM

I got my local speedy to do the job. Fairly sure they did a drain and fill, and the trans was much snappier (7AT) I did notice that shifts were starting to get harder, but I don't care. If it's bad, someone know what to do about it? I can't spend another $200 for the job

Said Amir 04-11-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Conboss (Post 4238177)
I got my local speedy to do the job. Fairly sure they did a drain and fill, and the trans was much snappier (7AT) I did notice that shifts were starting to get harder, but I don't care. If it's bad, someone know what to do about it? I can't spend another $200 for the job

the hard shifts is normal for the most part but Infiniti has a software update for the 7at to make it shift smoother many people on the forum had it done, and some loved it and some said it went back to shifting hard. You can also get your car tuned and they can tweak the transmission a bit also to make it smoother. I had a 2011, and a 2013 g37 coupe and the 2011 shifts a bit harsher than the 2013 but it’s nothing to noticeably unless you pay attention to it.

Conboss 04-11-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Said Amir (Post 4238457)
the hard shifts is normal for the most part but Infiniti has a software update for the 7at to make it shift smoother many people on the forum had it done, and some loved it and some said it went back to shifting hard. You can also get your car tuned and they can tweak the transmission a bit also to make it smoother. I had a 2011, and a 2013 g37 coupe and the 2011 shifts a bit harsher than the 2013 but it’s nothing to noticeably unless you pay attention to it.

I drive an 09, but I also drive pretty much exclusively in manual shift mode. Never liked the programming on this transmission, and it's just more fun

mummy2 04-22-2019 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by photopro (Post 4237307)
who do you guys and ladies trust for transmission fluid change transfer case, etc.
09x sedan, 106k, runs great gonna keep it for a little while longer. thanks

As far as the trans exchange, I would have the dealer do it. They are only going to be a little bit more expensive than a side shop. I had mine flushed at 70 thousand miles at a side shop for $250 vs. $275 at the Nissan dealer. I'm super cheap. It shifted so much smoother and it stopped banging into gears. Just tell them to just exchange the fluid without using any cleaners. I had 2 software updates done around the same time. That helped too. The only downside is that to help smoothing out the transmission they made the car less aggressive than before. It doesn't rev as freely.