Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VVEL Module - no throttle response / limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
jmitch421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VVEL Module - no throttle response / limp mode

Anyone had an issue with the VVEL module? I see the part is over $900 from the dealer but online its $40-$50. Showing a P1608 VVEL sensor power circuit code. I keep getting no throttle response and car goes into limp mode. Also getting poor mpg around 15 mpg.

I see two parts listed .. #23751 JK00A and #23751 JK00B.

Is there any difference?

Been a couple months of brutally expensive repairs on the G.. First the clutch SMC failed ..and cost me $2200 to replace witht he Zspeed clutch kit.. and now this VVEL issue I am hoping this module corrects the problem. Appreciate any info

2008 G37S 6MT
Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Per the FSM, P1608, as you mentioned, is due to either excessively high or low voltage. The FSM suggests:
a) verifying battery voltage >10V at idle;
b) check ground connection at modules;
c) check voltage at VVEL sensor harness, approx. 5V; (also fuses)
d) verify continuity at module (checking terminals) at module and connectors at harness;
Repair or replace accordingly. However, the code does not indicate bank 1 or bank 2 so you would have to check both to narrow down the problem/faulty module.

That said, discountinfinitiparts.com has the module listed for $680.39, part #:23751-JK00B (this supercedes JK00A (old part #)):

Perhaps others can help with this specific issue.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 PM
jmitch421

i ordered the VVEL on ebay .. will post back to see if this issue is resolved after replaced
Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 AM
jmitch421

had the VVEL replace picked up the car .. shop said htey dove it 20 miles and everything was good .. i didnt even make it home before the problem happened again .. i already paid two repairs and nothing has changed .. shop wants to charge diagnostic again when they didnt fix the problem the first time .. anyone have any ideas why the car keeps bucking and going into limp mode / no throttle response??

Old 03-21-2019, 12:50 AM
jmitch421

any ideas anyone?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Codes? If so, same as before?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:24 PM
jmitch421

yes same code P1608. I am wondering if the VVEL module was even bad in the first place. Replacing the VVEL is just on the troubleshooting steps in the service manual. I have already paid twice to the shop to have this throttle response / limp mode issue looked at. Each time they told me it was fixed and when i picked it up same limp mode problem before even getting the car home. The shop is highly recommended but I am starting to doubt they know how to fix this, also I have spent so much money recently on this now almost broke.

If anyone has any similar experience or ideas I would be really grateful.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM
jmitch421

so the shop refuses to even look at the car again without more payment i already paid for 2 diagnostic for same issue and they did not fix it or know what is wrong.. do I have any recourse to get my money back? any one have advice for getting a refund from an incompetent shop that was paid but did not actually fix the issue
Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Lawyer is about the only idea I have but the cost probably won't equal the return.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jmitch421
so the shop refuses to even look at the car again without more payment i already paid for 2 diagnostic for same issue and they did not fix it or know what is wrong.. do I have any recourse to get my money back? any one have advice for getting a refund from an incompetent shop that was paid but did not actually fix the issue
I dealt with a shop like this recently, had them repaint and repair the rusting door handle on my suv. A couple weeks later the rust was coming back, and they refused to do anything about it. They 'lost' my paperwork, so I said eff this and left. Unfortunately some people are just in it for the money, and don't really care about the customer
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM
jmitch421

So I am thinking to replace the VVEL relay and see if that works. Also when I called the dealer they mentioned that it could be due to low oil pressure. Which could mean the dreaded timing cover gasket failure. So I am thinking to install an oil pressure guage so that I can monitor and determine if that could be the cause of the problem that throws the 1608 vvel code.

Just trying to troubleshoot what I can on my own before paying the dealership $160 an hour.

If anyone has any advice Id really appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:27 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
So I am thinking to replace the VVEL relay and see if that works. Also when I called the dealer they mentioned that it could be due to low oil pressure. Which could mean the dreaded timing cover gasket failure. So I am thinking to install an oil pressure guage so that I can monitor and determine if that could be the cause of the problem that throws the 1608 vvel code.

Just trying to troubleshoot what I can on my own before paying the dealership $160 an hour.

So what was the problem?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:01 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeah I'm interested as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts

My 2¢:
PLEASE, PLEASE stop throwing parts at the problem! As you have seen it is expensive and frustrating.

Did you try any of the excellent tips mention by ILM-NC G37S?
After replacing the VVEL module was the MANDATORY idle air volume learning procedure done?

How do you know the VVEL module from ebay works?
I suspect your shop was not very happy with using ebay parts, and that may explain why they want more money to troubleshoot the problem as they can't assume the module is 100% functional.

To me, it sounds like it is time to take it to the dealer...
Old 06-03-2019, 05:20 PM
jmitch421

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
My 2¢:
PLEASE, PLEASE stop throwing parts at the problem! As you have seen it is expensive and frustrating.

Did you try any of the excellent tips mention by ILM-NC G37S?
After replacing the VVEL module was the MANDATORY idle air volume learning procedure done?

How do you know the VVEL module from ebay works?
I suspect your shop was not very happy with using ebay parts, and that may explain why they want more money to troubleshoot the problem as they can't assume the module is 100% functional.

To me, it sounds like it is time to take it to the dealer...
The shop suggested the ebay parts since the new part was $900! Anyway never resolved anything with that shop except they gave a partial refund. I did recently take the car to the dealership ( had to save up some money first) waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime i installed an Oil PSI guage .. i see like 14 psi in idle with the car warm ... is that normal? I will post back when i find out anymore from the dealer.

Quick Reply: VVEL Module - no throttle response / limp mode