Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil pan spacer on AWD G

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 08:46 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts
Oil pan spacer on AWD G

I looked in the past and always wanted to do an oil pan spacer on the G. I read that it is not possible do to clearance issues with the front sway bar on the AWD models? I did see, I believe at least two instances with people using an oil pan spacer on the X AWD model. One was some supercharger TT build by a member on here.

I know there is the option for an oil cooler, but the routing of the lines on the AWD model is not great and the spacer seems to be a more safer mod. Was curious on this, thanks!

*edit this was the thread (with pictures) were this user had an oil spacer installed on their AWD G. https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...-tt-kit-2.html

Last edited by Krzysztof47; 06-28-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:40 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Found out from a Z1 review, that a small section of the subframe needs to be slightly trimmed to accommodate access to the bolt. So it will fit with slight modification.
Old 07-02-2023, 03:28 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Concur, i did a test fit (moslty test look) during my last oil change and the AWD coupe will need some minor crossmember surgery to make some clearance on the rear driverside of the pan/spacer.

I plan to install it at my next oil change, but with teleworking 3 days a week it may be a while before i get to it.

Just one more challenge of modding the X (AWD).

The oil cooler was the real difficulty, but i managed to route the lines in a reasonably safe manner - with strategic antichafe currugated tubing and clamping.
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 04:59 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Originally Posted by beefychicken
Concur, i did a test fit (moslty test look) during my last oil change and the AWD coupe will need some minor crossmember surgery to make some clearance on the rear driverside of the pan/spacer.

I plan to install it at my next oil change, but with teleworking 3 days a week it may be a while before i get to it.

Just one more challenge of modding the X (AWD).

The oil cooler was the real difficulty, but i managed to route the lines in a reasonably safe manner - with strategic antichafe currugated tubing and clamping.
Thank you for letting me know! I too looked into the oil cooler, but decided against it as you pointed out the routing of the lines are not great on the X models and I was always worried of the thermostatic plate seal leaking which I heard can happen. The oil pan spacer seemed like a nice upgrade.

The review on Z1 stated: "Speaks for itself. Will work on an awd if you are willing to notch a section of subframe out. Just enough to snake items in and the bolt it would otherwise cover. Then weld a flat bar to cover the open space and paint over. Did this with two cars."

I believe what they are referring to is the splash shield bolt hole tab? If you know the area they are talking about, if you could point it out I would appreciate it!

I believe this is the spot, but this is a RWD model below. I seen some they just bend it out of the way for the install and then bend it back into position once the pan is all set.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:14 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Oh no! I just saw this, sorry....( i will PM you this response, but keeping it public for others use in the future).
Going on memory from the test fit a number of months ago, i believe the surgery has to be performed in the highlighted area of the picture.

The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:06 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Thank you for sharing this info!