Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM
ai3j50

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid

Yesterday I went to start my 2010 G37 Coupe which I haven't driven in about a week and it immediately had a rough idle. Service Engine Soon light came on so I pulled out my code reader and it had 2 codes, P0300 and P0021.

P0300 is for a random misfire and is the result of P0021 which reads as Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 2.

My initial research on P0021 for the G37 had me scared because others got that code with P0524 and that was a very expensive repair for most. In my case P0021 was signaling that my valve control solenoid had gone bad. There was not much information online on how to change this for the G37 so I figured I would write this up to help out someone else who would run into.

Solenoid bank 2 is the driver side, bank 1 is the passenger. To remove either you will need to remove the coolant reservoir. Once remove there is a single bolt holding the solenoid, it is a 10mm bolt. Remove that. Then you will need to remove the wiring harness from the solenoid, to do that I pressed the release with my hand and pried it off with a flat head screwdriver. Once you have the harness off you can remove the solenoid, you may need the flat head again to get it out. The part number for the driver side solenoid is 23796-AU00D. My local Infiniti dealer had it in stock so I picked it up today and installed it. Bolted everything up and reset the ECU and now all is well. You can test your solenoid by connecting it to 12volt power for no more than 5 seconds (per the FSM), the pump in the middle of the solenoid should come out when connected. Mine did not so that is how I verified mine was bad.

Providing pictures to provide perspective on where the solenoid is located because I had to find this in the FSM.
Attached Thumbnails SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid-img_6653.jpg   SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid-img_8231.jpg   SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid-img_0543.jpg   SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid-img_0020.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by ai3j50:
Carboy37 (09-17-2021), Darq (10-21-2023), Dough1397 (06-22-2019), Glenn2008 (06-21-2020), m3clubracer (09-05-2023), sush (07-28-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 PM
NaughtyDerek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

i was hoping you could follow up on this post post and let me know how it turned out? Any long term effects that you noticed after replacing the solenoid? I'm looking at a 2010 g37x with about 130k on it. Went to test drive and had the rough idle. The dealer put the reader on it and got the same codes, and diagnosed the same issue you had. They are replacing the solenoid tomorrow. Just curious if you had any insight.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:07 AM
jdublup

Thanks for the thread. Had this happen on Friday. Pulled the p0021 and p0300 codes. Was hoping it was the sensor because it looked easier to replace and cheaper.

I narrowed it to the solenoid by swapping the sensor across each bank. Figured it it changed to p0011 then it would be the sensor. P0021 stayed.

Followed this thread. Didnt even have to completely remove the reservoir, just unbolt and move to the side. Not sure if missed it in your thread, but i had to slide the coolant hose clamp back a little bit to get more clearance to pull out the solenoid.

Thanks again. The car is back to normal.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:17 PM
jdublup

Originally Posted by NaughtyDerek
Hello,

i was hoping you could follow up on this post post and let me know how it turned out? Any long term effects that you noticed after replacing the solenoid? I'm looking at a 2010 g37x with about 130k on it. Went to test drive and had the rough idle. The dealer put the reader on it and got the same codes, and diagnosed the same issue you had. They are replacing the solenoid tomorrow. Just curious if you had any insight.

Thanks!
Derek,
I will tell you that, my car is driving much better now. It's only been a few days but I drive over 80 per day and I can tell the difference in performance and fuel economy.

Only thing to mention is that when researching part on RockAuto (RA), it recommends if you replace one, you should go ahead and replace the other. I didn't considering it cost $250 at the dealership for the part. They have them for half the price on RA (even 1/3 the price).
Old 04-14-2018, 10:08 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Can someone update this DIY? I attempted to replace it but both hoses are in the way of the solenoid and i can't get it out. I took off the larger radiator hose and some coolant leaked out but the solenoid is hitting the other smaller hose and it won't budge out of the way. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:56 AM
boweld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0011

hello, is p0011 the left and p0021 is the right side?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Japan
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello was the p05 code the one that involved that galley gasket and timing chain removal? I'm praying that its not that for me and its just this solenoid. .
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I cannot get over how corroded all the metals on your engine are. My car is 10 years old and the valve control solenoid looks brand new. I wonder if it is your close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
bumping old thread.. I pulled the CEL code p0021 and p0300 few weeks ago. Car went to limb mode constantly after reset the battery and clearing out the codes. Thought it was bad gas. No fix. Thought it was bad spark plugs? replaced and still there. Found this thread and some video on YT explained that t might be the VVT solenoid on bank 2. Bought a replacement part for $45. Swapped it in 15 minutes outside my house and the car is good as new!! Thanks OP for the great help. My stock one was dirty with lots of gungs... probably from my car sitting for a few weeks without driving.

VVT part I bought to fix this:
Amazon Amazon

Engine Camshaft Variable Valve Timing Control Solenoid

Last edited by *ICE*; 06-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by *ICE*:
Baadnewsburr (06-20-2019), Dove.G37 (05-15-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks ai3j50 for posting this. I just installed a new driver’s side part to address the issue. It went reasonably well. I did notice that the new part from Hitachi was missing the fine mesh. I was unable to remove it from the old part and transfer it over. Is this fine?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ai3j50
Yesterday I went to start my 2010 G37 Coupe which I haven't driven in about a week and it immediately had a rough idle. Service Engine Soon light came on so I pulled out my code reader and it had 2 codes, P0300 and P0021.

P0300 is for a random misfire and is the result of P0021 which reads as Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 2.

My initial research on P0021 for the G37 had me scared because others got that code with P0524 and that was a very expensive repair for most. In my case P0021 was signaling that my valve control solenoid had gone bad. There was not much information online on how to change this for the G37 so I figured I would write this up to help out someone else who would run into.

Solenoid bank 2 is the driver side, bank 1 is the passenger. To remove either you will need to remove the coolant reservoir. Once remove there is a single bolt holding the solenoid, it is a 10mm bolt. Remove that. Then you will need to remove the wiring harness from the solenoid, to do that I pressed the release with my hand and pried it off with a flat head screwdriver. Once you have the harness off you can remove the solenoid, you may need the flat head again to get it out. The part number for the driver side solenoid is 23796-AU00D. My local Infiniti dealer had it in stock so I picked it up today and installed it. Bolted everything up and reset the ECU and now all is well. You can test your solenoid by connecting it to 12volt power for no more than 5 seconds (per the FSM), the pump in the middle of the solenoid should come out when connected. Mine did not so that is how I verified mine was bad.

Providing pictures to provide perspective on where the solenoid is located because I had to find this in the FSM.
Hi,

Going through the same issue with my car right now and I have a few questions.
1) You mentioned you researched this issue and was relieved that you didn't pull the p0524 code along with p0021. Could you elaborate why and/or refer me to a link that would? I'd highly appreciate it.
2) You said you reset the ecu once you were done. How did you do that?
3) You mentioned testing the old solenoid by plugging onto a 12v power source. How did you do that? What did you use?
4) Is the solenoid you bought from the dealer a Hitachi? Did it have the mesh screens on it?

Thanks again
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dough1397

Thanks ai3j50 for posting this. I just installed a new driver’s side part to address the issue. It went reasonably well. I did notice that the new part from Hitachi was missing the fine mesh. I was unable to remove it from the old part and transfer it over. Is this fine?
Hi there,
I'd appreciate if you'd fill me in on how your car is doing ever since you switched out the solenoid. I too am now wondering why the Hitachi part I ordered also does not have the mesh like the original. Thanks a million for your response!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Kali4nia
Hi there,
I'd appreciate if you'd fill me in on how your car is doing ever since you switched out the solenoid. I too am now wondering why the Hitachi part I ordered also does not have the mesh like the original. Thanks a million for your response!

i did the same and car ran fine after 6 months! The amazon part is a good buy!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:53 AM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Bought mine off rock auto. Paid a bit more but got an OEM Hitachi. Car runs great so far. No more codes! Apparently, the failing solenoid causing the P0021 code also directly affects the oil pressure hence the p0524 code. Makes sense since the Solenoid's purpose is to deliver oil to the cams whenever needed.
The following users liked this post:
Dove.G37 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:30 PM
Dove.G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Are you sure about amazon? What should be a decent price I’m looking for? Got the same problems..

Quick Reply: SES Code P0021 Fix - Valve Timing Control Solenoid