Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Need advice: 09 g37x leaking galley gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM
justinc7100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need advice: 09 g37x leaking galley gaskets

Parked my car at home the other night. Right as I go to turn the car off, my check engine light comes on. Was not flashing. Scanned the code and got p0300 misfire and p0524 low oil preassure. Off to the dealer. Dealer says this:
leaking galley gaskets in timing cover looking preassure, will need both galley gaskets, both timing solenoid, both front cover gaskets.

They wanna charge me around 2k after "discounts".
My car has 130k miles. Everything is in great shape, this is my first serious problem. No problems when driving the car. No limp mode or shuttering. The only thing I have experienced was rough idle. Occasionally while idling, my rpms dip to 400 and the car shutters for a sec then goes back to normal. I am guessing that is low oil preassure.

Anyway, should i bite the bullet and fix this? I don't have a trusted mechanic that I would want to do this. I am located in monmouth County nj if any body could reccomend a good shop. I just don't know if it is worth it considering my miles. Any input on this would be great. Thank you. Also, I did not drive with the light on, had the car towed.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:21 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
If the rest of the car is in good shape and you plan on keeping it for some time, maybe price out a used lower mileage engine from a 2012 or newer car. That should have the updated gaskets already.

There are probably ways to do this repair cheaper too. I believe some on here have done it themselves as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:31 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by Jsolo
If the rest of the car is in good shape and you plan on keeping it for some time, maybe price out a used lower mileage engine from a 2012 or newer car. That should have the updated gaskets already.

There are probably ways to do this repair cheaper too. I believe some on here have done it themselves as well.
thanks. That was a thought but then again I would have do pay for labor and the whole engine. From what I have researched it is more expensive. But then again, I would not have to worry about 09 gasket design. Ridiculous how they never even addressed the issue.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The gasket you would get has been redesigned so it's a one-time fix, albeit an expensive fix. Your price quote is actually on the low side for a dealer per others who have suffered this fate and reported it here.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 PM
justinc7100

Yup it's 2k for just the gaskets. O can spend 2400 for them to replaxe my water pump, etc. Basically parts that i would not want to have to open up the engine for again. I am going to head to another shop for an estimate but i think I am going to get it fixed. Car drives great atm.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I'd fix it. $2K is cheap nowadays. (actually, the "old" me would have swapped to a newer motor in my driveway, but I'm not allowed to do those things anymore!)

I just gave back my leased car, bought my Q60 to replace it, and now we need to buy my wife a new car. I wish it would be over at just $2000!

These cars are worth fixing, other than this galley issue it is an overall super-reliable car. If you have no qualms driving an older car, yeah keep it and fix it!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by justinc7100
Parked my car at home the other night. Right as I go to turn the car off, my check engine light comes on. Was not flashing. Scanned the code and got p0300 misfire and p0524 low oil preassure. Off to the dealer. Dealer says this:
leaking galley gaskets in timing cover looking preassure, will need both galley gaskets, both timing solenoid, both front cover gaskets.

They wanna charge me around 2k after "discounts".
My car has 130k miles. Everything is in great shape, this is my first serious problem. No problems when driving the car. No limp mode or shuttering. The only thing I have experienced was rough idle. Occasionally while idling, my rpms dip to 400 and the car shutters for a sec then goes back to normal. I am guessing that is low oil preassure.

Anyway, should i bite the bullet and fix this? I don't have a trusted mechanic that I would want to do this. I am located in monmouth County nj if any body could reccomend a good shop. I just don't know if it is worth it considering my miles. Any input on this would be great. Thank you. Also, I did not drive with the light on, had the car towed.

Did you have it towed to Circle Infiniti or another dealer?

Prior to the gasket problem your 10 year old vehicle was worth X
If you spend $2k+ to repair it your vehicle will be worth X - $2k+
If you are in an accident shortly after the repair and your vehicle is totaled then you are out the X -$2k+
Speak to your insurance agent before you make a decision.

What kind of trade in could you obtain as is towards another new or used vehicle?

If it were me I would be looking for another vehicle.

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

If you are in an accident shortly after the repair and your vehicle is totaled then you are out the X -$2k+

What kind of trade in could you obtain as is towards another new or used vehicle?

Good luck

Telcoman
He'll lose way more than $2000 just buying a new car. How much is lost the moment you sign a purchase agreement?

And in some places, the taxes are quite significant.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:35 PM
justinc7100

Good luck

Telcoman
yup right to circle. Thing is the car is in perfect condition apart from this. Did not drive the car at all with the light.I plan on grabbing a new car in the next year or so. I can,afford the repair, am just nervous something else can go wrong.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:37 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by takemorepills
He'll lose way more than $2000 just buying a new car. How much is lost the moment you sign a purchase agreement?

And in some places, the taxes are quite significant.
yeah, I think I am going to bite the bullet here.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Did your car go into limp home mode? I had the same codes the P0300 and the P0524. Took it to the Nissan dealer, they checked it out, cleared the codes and I haven't seen them again in 500+ miles. When I got the car home from the Nissan dealer, I changed the oil, cleaned the MAF sensor and all seems good. I didn't have the low idle or any vibration. After I cleaned the MAF's, I noticed the rpm's went to 1000 at idle, but after about 30 minutes when I started it again, it was back to a steady state of 650. $2K at the Infiniti dealer is a good price for the replacement. The Nissan dealer told me that if I had to replace the seals, it would be $1.4K.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:46 PM
justinc7100

Originally Posted by Glenn2008
Did your car go into limp home mode? I had the same codes the P0300 and the P0524. Took it to the Nissan dealer, they checked it out, cleared the codes and I haven't seen them again in 500+ miles. When I got the car home from the Nissan dealer, I changed the oil, cleaned the MAF sensor and all seems good.
I dont really think so because the light went on right as I parked. I am going to get a second o
oppinion from another mechanic Monday. I don't think infiniti would lie though considering it is such a pain the get to the gasket.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:55 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justinc7100
yup right to circle. Thing is the car is in perfect condition apart from this. Did not drive the car at all with the light.I plan on grabbing a new car in the next year or so. I can,afford the repair, am just nervous something else can go wrong.
I would fix it, but that’s just me. I think people often are too quick to shy away from repair costs in lieu of buying a new car. But ask yourself, how long will it take you to “spend” $2k in depreciation on a new car - a month, maybe two? And depreciation is a cost, just like a repair bill. But many people don’t see it that way.

On the other hand, while it definitely is worth fixing if you are going to keep driving it for a while, if you are looking to sell it pretty soon anyway, you might want to investigate the value as it is vs the value after the repair. Paying for a major repair and then turning around and selling the car can be a bad financial move. While fixing it and keeping it makes good financial sense.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts

Good luck

Telcoman

Your math doesn't work.

#1 His car is not going to be worth less because he had the repair done. If anything it will be worth more, because a potential new owner wouldn't have to worry about it.

#2 You are talking hypotheticals on if he has an accident.

#3 His insurance agent wouldn't agent wouldn't give one care on if he repairs it or not.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might be worth another opinion on the repair estimate, Nissan dealers are typically less than Infiniti from all the posts on this topic. If there is a Nissan dealer close by I would let them take a look and see what they will charge.

Quick Reply: Need advice: 09 g37x leaking galley gaskets