Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

installing VLSD - is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:53 PM
orava
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing VLSD - is this a problem?

Hi,

Laugh if you want but I really don't know. I have an automatic 2013 Journey. I got a VLSD from an automatic 2011 G37S and was going to install Whiteline bushings. (What a PITA removing that rear bushing!)

Anyway, I haven't installed the VLSD, yet. I got it used. I just noticed one of the extentions on the flange for the bolts is bent. My guess would be someone dropped it. I don't think this would matter, but I attached a picture.

If it's just cosmetic, I don't care. But could this cause the car to vibrate? If it is a problem, can I take the flange off of my open differential and use it?

My understanding is that this all bolts up but you need bolts because you now have holes on the CV axles and the flanges. I got some grade 8 bolts for that.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You're going to need to get that flange straightened so it can be bolted to the driveshaft. And to eliminate possibility of vibration. 7AT and 6MT driveshafts use different flanges, so as long as both flanges come from the same style of transmission, you should have no issue swapping the flange.

Use this opportunity to replace the diff bushing with urethane. NVH increase is negligible and it will eliminate the need for future replacement. Those fluid-filled bushings just don't seem to last all that long.
The following users liked this post:
orava (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM
orava
Registered Member

Thanks.

I was exhausted when I wrote this yesterday because I'd been messing with removing the old bushings for hours so I wasn't totally clear. I plan on going with urethane bushings.

Both diffs are 3.3 and from 7ATs. I don't drift my car, I just want better traction when I accelerate. This is my daily driver.

I tried to find out how to remove a side flange so I can use my old one but wasn't able to. My understanding is that there is a clip somewhere. Do you open up the cover or do you just hit it hard enough from the outside to knock it out?

Really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Darian
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by orava
Do you open up the cover or do you just hit it hard enough from the outside to knock it out?
Definitely don't need to open up the cover. Just get some leverage on it where it meets the housing with a pry bar and hit it with a deadblow till it pops out or hit ti on the the part of the flange where its bent Try not to dig in too deep if you go in near the housing or you may hit the sea. If you do damage the seal they are cheap and easy to replace (may be a good idea to replace them anyways while the flange is out anyways)

good luck
The following users liked this post:
orava (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM
orava
Registered Member

Just FYI it bent back when I torqued it down to the axle.