Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

CV Axles

Old 05-14-2018, 11:14 AM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CV Axles

Hey guys. Got an 09 g37x coupe and my mechanic said my CV axles are ripped. The wheel on my car has been shaking whenever I hit speeds of like 65mph and higher. Could this be why? or is there something else that could be causing this? I have had my rims balanced twice already. any help is appreciated
Old 05-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
if they are ripped they are probably at least contributing to the problem..the grease in the boots will evacuate until its metal on metal in there ....I'm assuming your'e referring to the front CV axles, but you could have bad bearings up front too if its worse when you turn left or right... check for play in the bearings....changing the bearings and the front CV axle together is a good idea as taking the bearing out makes changing the CV axle easier anyways, but if the bearings are good just change the axles
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by Hashim
if they are ripped they are probably at least contributing to the problem..the grease in the boots will evacuate until its metal on metal in there ....I'm assuming your'e referring to the front CV axles, but you could have bad bearings up front too if its worse when you turn left or right... check for play in the bearings....changing the bearings and the front CV axle together is a good idea as taking the bearing out makes changing the CV axle easier anyways, but if the bearings are good just change the axles
Thanks man yea I had one of the bearings replaced a few months ago. Ill ask my mechanic about the other. Just trying to identify what else could be the problem. appreciate the input!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

FWIW, I jsut changed my passenger side front axle and my symptoms were similar to what you described and I noticed it was worse on days it rained... when i got to it both boots were torn and all the suspension components were heavly coated in grease...I couldnt even see any of the silver of the aluminum LCA if you can peek under there with the wheel turned and compare to the other side of the car you'll see a difference right away...one side every thing is silver and the other side coated in black grease

also I've changed the front bearings after bad pothole filled winters on this car 5 times....one was due to the replacement part failing so don't rule that out too... my only solution was to move somewhere with less potholes...
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 AM
hockeyzbh

FWIW, I jsut changed my passenger side front axle and my symptoms were similar to what you described and I noticed it was worse on days it rained... when i got to it both boots were torn and all the suspension components were heavly coated in grease...I couldnt even see any of the silver of the aluminum LCA if you can peek under there with the wheel turned and compare to the other side of the car you'll see a difference right away...one side every thing is silver and the other side coated in black grease

also I've changed the front bearings after bad pothole filled winters on this car 5 times....one was due to the replacement part failing so don't rule that out too... my only solution was to move somewhere with less potholes...

So did the axle change help the symptoms at all? or are u saying they went away when u moved somewhere without potholes?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hockeyzbh
So did the axle change help the symptoms at all? or are u saying they went away when u moved somewhere without potholes?
lol sorry, yeah the axle change made the symptom go away and was recent problem...mine was so bad it came out in two pieces...

the moving away part was related to having to repeatedly change front bearings after almost every winter...
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 AM
hockeyzbh

lol sorry, yeah the axle change made the symptom go away and was recent problem...mine was so bad it came out in two pieces...

the moving away part was related to having to repeatedly change front bearings after almost every winter...
geez I don't think mine is that bad but my mechanic def said it was shot. They getting replaced today so hoping like u the symptoms go away after. and I feel ya I had to replace my control arm and bearing at one point. appreciate the heads up man
Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
So did the new axles fix it?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Once they tear and lubricant dries out and let's crap get in you'll have to rebuild the axle boot and repack with grease or replace depending on amount of damage
The following users liked this post:
hockeyzbh (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:05 PM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by Michael_in_DE
So did the new axles fix it?
yessir. Drives very nicely now. no crazy shaking.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:15 AM
hockeyzbh

so car started shaking again at high speeds. Not as much as it had before but enough to notice it. anyone know what else this could be from?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:41 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Out of balance wheel, bulged tire, maybe a loose wheel bearing...
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Perform a slalom on a backroad going about 40-50 and see if the noise increases as each side is loaded. Isolate if the noise / vibration is coming from driver or passenger side. If your car is shaking, my money is on the bearing. I've had both and a bad/loose bearing sounds like what you're describing. Did you get an alignment after the axle and bearing replacement?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Perform a slalom on a backroad going about 40-50 and see if the noise increases as each side is loaded. Isolate if the noise / vibration is coming from driver or passenger side. If your car is shaking, my money is on the bearing. I've had both and a bad/loose bearing sounds like what you're describing. Did you get an alignment after the axle and bearing replacement?
I did not. I had one done just before the axle got replaced plus it was shaking before axle replacement as well. didn't think it would need it again so soon
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
If the axle was replaced I'd think you would definitely need another alignment. Figure, the last one was done with damaged parts :-/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV Axles