Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil filter mess Maybe it's just me? You know a better way?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:46 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
^ better to just take off the cover. its not that bad yea theres a lot of bolts. just use a drill it makes it easier and quicker
Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
You can fold the plastic cover back along the crease and there is a hole you can put a screw driver into that will hold that plastic flap back in place.
Did my oil change today and decided to take a picture so you get the idea

The following users liked this post:
llebcire (07-12-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:36 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
At least it's not upside-down like the SR20.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe you have a sedan qmantran, but on the coupe they have a freak'in bar in the way, that makes it a difficult mess, as you can see below. It makes it a bit awkward to direct the flow of the leaking oil. The oil hits that bar and then hits and collects in the plastic shield. (pic stolen from a different thread, disregard ratchet etc).

Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
^^^its not a sedan/coupe issue, the the AWD models (Coupe and sedan, that have the filter at the front) RWD models have it at the side
The following users liked this post:
Michael_in_DE (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
^^^its not a sedan/coupe issue, the the AWD models (Coupe and sedan, that have the filter at the front) RWD models have it at the side
Aw, thank you for the insight. I am new to the platform. Love the AWD, hate that damn bar.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Best fix I've found is to 'shape' a plastic grocery bag into a cone-like shape under the filter. Wide side of the cone is directly under the filter, goes over the bar and contains the oil "neatly" at the bottom. Been using it since my first oil change and haven't made a mess since.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
An amusing thread!

Back in the days of my 06 G35 I did 48 of the 53 oil changes until I traded it in at 171796 miles

Oil filter mess Maybe it's just me? You know a better way?-93pnrpn.jpg

I always removed the fourteen 10mm bolts holding the fiberboard shroud blocking the drain plug and the oil filter. I used an old plastic shower curtain to catch any minor spills. I drained the old oil out of the black plastic oil container and filled old gallon orange juice containers with the used oil and dropped them off at Pep Boys

I no longer change my own oil. I've gotten lazy. i now just let the dealer do it. They wash and vacuum my vehicle with the oil change and the dealer will provide a loaner if I should need one.

Telcoman
Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Came here to say I learned my lesson with the AWD filter placement. Next time I'll use a mini funnel to direct the flow
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Did my oil change today and decided to take a picture so you get the idea

I'll try that - folding the back portion of the cover forward. Just did an oil change last weekend and it was a mess.

-Eric
Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
I always removed the fourteen 10mm bolts holding the fiberboard shroud blocking the drain plug and the oil filter.

that sounds like a major PITA.

i use disposable rubber gloves, take filter off, and let drain into catch container (that sits on a big tray to catch any potential extra spillage).

while it drains, i'll detail the engine bay/get a coffee/etc. when its all done dripping, wipe up any extra oil on the belly pan with a paper towel.

easy, very little mess.

i installed a Valvomax drain plug at last oil change and got their oil drain bag, so next oil change should be super quick and easy ... only mess being from the filter change.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts

I did this last oil change. I had no idea that hole was there to put a screwdriver through like that. Brilliant!

Snap-On screwdriver too, very nice qman
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I know the idea is to have a perfectly clean solution, but honestly being up here where they use tons of salt on the road every year, I don't mind the oil dripping onto the swaybar, I spread any excess onto the rest of the bar and nuts and bolts nearby and the hood latch and spring, especially the swaybar bushings as a quick and dirty rust protectant, the difference on ones I do wipe down and ones that I don't is noticeable every spring when I go to do work on the car, the ones not wiped down inevitably end up much more rusted...i rarely end up with anything dripping on the ground during the oil change and never have anything dripping after.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
I know the idea is to have a perfectly clean solution, but honestly being up here where they use tons of salt on the road every year, I don't mind the oil dripping onto the swaybar, I spread any excess onto the rest of the bar and nuts and bolts nearby and the hood latch and spring, especially the swaybar bushings as a quick and dirty rust protectant, the difference on ones I do wipe down and ones that I don't is noticeable every spring when I go to do work on the car, the ones not wiped down inevitably end up much more rusted...i rarely end up with anything dripping on the ground during the oil change and never have anything dripping after.
Good tip for the mess. I didn't even think about using it as rust prevention!