Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G3RSTY7 Air-Air Supercharger Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:06 PM
grocerylist
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to TopgunZ it's possible but not without some extra fabrication.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM
dbl07
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grocerylist
According to TopgunZ it's possible but not without some extra fabrication.

I'm certain that it is possible. However, one must first find a good shop to design and make the piping for the sedan. The vehicle may take weeks for the shop to design such kit. From a consumer's perspective, it would have been great to have a kit for both models (sedans and coupes) which equates to the targetting of a larger audience, which also means more revenue and more satisfied customers, similar to other FI kits.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:07 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Finally doing cruising datalogs. Just waiting for that “i need a WOT pull 3rd gear 2k-7k rpms”. Then the fun with E85 but I still need to wire ethanol content from my gauge into the ECU—pin 102. And then I guess wideband into evap since Seb thinks we still want to keep downstream O2. Also learned for my setup I want to set the fuel pressure regulator with the vacuum hose off so it reads vs atmospheric.
lots of woosh woosh sounds
I've been following your thread for a bit. I have a general question regarding your setup, is it possible for me to have a "simpler" setup than yours that doesn't involve E85? I'd like to get an A2A SC for my AWD car that produces moderate gains but doesn't require different fuels or different in-car gauges to be added. I just want a set-it and forget-it option that'll be reliable and maybe around 390-400WHP, is this a possible?
Hopefully not a strange question for you, I just figure you'd have a pretty good idea... Thanks!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
I've been following your thread for a bit. I have a general question regarding your setup, is it possible for me to have a "simpler" setup than yours that doesn't involve E85? I'd like to get an A2A SC for my AWD car that produces moderate gains but doesn't require different fuels or different in-car gauges to be added. I just want a set-it and forget-it option that'll be reliable and maybe around 390-400WHP, is this a possible?
Hopefully not a strange question for you, I just figure you'd have a pretty good idea... Thanks!
In short yes,

With his kit and tune you'll make more than 400 WHP on 93 Oct. The Stillen kit it self will make 415 WHP with a tune and this kit is WAY more efficient.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
definitely and it will be way easier and cheaper. The stock stillen kit mentions drilling or jetting a wider opening for fuel pump housing assembly but i think they even use OEM pump.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Troubleshooting my “belt slip” was way too easy seeing half the belt sitting on top
So.. closed loop tuning was going fine. When we switched to open loop, something was wonky. Had buddy come over and we adjusted coupler fittings since it’s difficult to do yourself and easy to create a leak. We had them sealed, did a leakdown test and something was horribly wrong, not holding any pressure whatsoever and sounded like leak under the manifold—sad. I ordered a fogger and voila! There’s two bolt holes on the stillen manifold behind the throttle bodies near rear of engine bay where purge valve bolts up to. Due to space/plumbing constraints from the return fuel system, my purge valve was relocated near the firewall. But turns out you can’t leave those bolt holes open so that’s where i was losing all boost! Easy fix.
Logs looked good, did some WOT pulls, made 5-6psi peak boost. Popped hood to check for belt slip—see belt is torn in half. Pulley came loose, migrated on the shaft and bending the input shaft no matter how many people say that’s extremely unlikely. Getting pulley off was nightmare, more impossible to get on. So here i am, already sending in blower for a little rebuild needeing a new shaft.
so every issue has been very easy to fix, but adding time and a little cost up.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
This is a sick build man, hoping you get that pulley fixed up. Glad to see the G still getting love/money put into it nowadays, more and more people treat them as disposable with prices falling.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
This is a sick build man, hoping you get that pulley fixed up. Glad to see the G still getting love/money put into it nowadays, more and more people treat them as disposable with prices falling.
IMO they don’t make cars like they used to. People will talk up the Q red sport it’s still an automatic though. The best cars are the ones you’ve put blood, sweat (and tears) into and know inside and out. The people who trade up cars every few years wouldn’t even know what to do if it caused them issues on the side of the road in an isolated desert.
gawd i’m getting old lol
Old 10-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Doric
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '11 IPL and wouldn't previously consider the Stillen kit because it didn't have an air-to-air IC. I'm not new to centrifugal blowers (one of my toys is an LS3 Corvette with a Vortech and supporting mods), but I was always underwhelmed by the numbers people were getting with the Stillen kit.Didn't realize until halfway through the thread that we are both in CO. I had a very crappy experience with a local shop as well. Wonder if it's the same one...? Hope you've gotten back on the road with this. Interested in seeing how it works out for you.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Oh yes, ordered a new shaft, had blower rebuilt (kept original bearings on since it was so new--kicking myself for not just having them upgraded while I was already having that done but I have a spare blower to still build). This time I made sure to add loctite on the bolt holding on the supercharger input pulley and key and adding anti-seize to the shaft. Has been running well. Hit a dyno a week or two ago 402whp (corrected--337 at this elevation) at 7.8PSI on stock 8lb pulley setup 91 octane pump gas. Should pick up another 100whp with E85. Guy at dyno shop thought I had stock cats on it was burning so clean so could add more fuel especially with ethanol. Guy in California who's been helping me (redondoaveb on Z forums) was hitting 589whp on E85 at sea level with 9lb pulley, he put on a bigger 3.47' jackshaft pulley and smaller 3" supercharger input pulley and is now at about 650whp. So I try my best to follow his setup but will never see the same numbers he has.
Our WRX got hailed on so has been at a shop for the last month and the G has been the daily driver and has been reliable for us for the time being. Reaks like gas though since my fuelab regulator has a leak on the inlet side. Took it up the Mt Evans Nationwide cruise, lost to a R6 and beefy GTR on external wastegates, beat a type R and Jag F type, lost to a supercharged ZL1 Camaro or whatever but of note it was much closer than the GTR or R6. I think on E85 and a better launch I would have beat him but I'm still on stock clutch so really not trying to push it off the line since it's serving as our daily for the time being. And even with a clutch LSD I spin tires off the line too much on the street so I keep traction control on.
I was just frustrated with time it took, not really the mechanic. Return fuel systems can be very complicated I've seen people spend $3k on install on that alone so not so bad that's what I paid for fuel system and blower install. Blower install is pretty easy though. If you're underwhelmed with performance of centrifugal on a Vette though idk why you would be with this setup. I have the high end billet impeller so it pulls like a Honda Vtec, not much torque. Might someday do gearing on it--I love the idea of a 200MPH G but with a kid coming I don't think top speed runs are going to be in my life like they were before. Gearing is soo long on the G a Subaru is halfway through 3rd gear by the time we're doing the 1-2 shift it feels like.
But if you do go for it, hit us up. I had help from a guy from VQ CO who has the same setup on his 370Z. And LSpec auto which Redondoaveb uses is producing a silencer for the BOV since it's damn loud. Ironically I got a ticket in Boulder for loud exhaust but when I hear my wife drive to work a block away, I hear more BOV than actual exhaust

Last edited by RickyBobby; 10-19-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Doric
Registered Member

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I've been underwhelmed by the numbers VQ folks were getting out of the basic Stillen kit. The Corvette isn't the fastest thing I've owned, but she gets out of her own way - traps in the mid-120s on pump gas, full street weight, street tires.

I'm reasonably active on the VQ CO Facebook Group as well. Maybe we'll run into each other there.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:02 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Doric
Sorry - I should have been more clear. I've been underwhelmed by the numbers VQ folks were getting out of the basic Stillen kit. The Corvette isn't the fastest thing I've owned, but she gets out of her own way - traps in the mid-120s on pump gas, full street weight, street tires.

I'm reasonably active on the VQ CO Facebook Group as well. Maybe we'll run into each other there.
Guess you’re better off sticking with the Vet. Sounds damn fast G wont come close. Can reel most in on the freeway at high speed but always slow on 1/4 mile. I saw a GTR and M5 run mid-high 10s not sure if they even trapped mid 120s
Old 10-26-2018, 11:40 AM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

The internet said EVAP wire was pin 102, the gray wire (maybe true on a Z). There was only one gray wire in the harness and it looked like 102 so thats what I went for. Then I was getting throttle position errors. Turned out on the G my gray wire went to pin 103, the wire I wanted was this blue one with gold marks. Time to get my wire harness cleaned up and waiting on instructions to start flex tuning!

​​​​​​
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Nycstilleng37s
Registered Member

Stock Stillen Kit Blew my Motor

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Hey all, I've been mostly active on the 370Z although as a G37 owner maybe my build will be more relevant over here. And if you haven't been following along with the progress of improvements with forced induction options to us (AAM TT and Stillen options have come a long way), feel free to get educated at least on the supercharger portion. Read or click through the links all you want. And please chime in on suggestions or disagreements.
Topgunz Air-Air supercharger kit. Went to Minnesota myself to pick up the kit (and see family and friends, I guess...)

So here's what I have going on. You may or may not have been considering the Stillen supercharger kit. It's great to have as an option, but there's always some issues. For one, Stillen got California CARB approval with their canned tune, which is garbage (but legal in California at least). That's issue number one. Second and probably biggest issue is MAF sensor placement on the Stillen kit. MAF was placed before the blower (correct me if I'm wrong) so it had it's readings that didn't account for heat soak in the intercooler, and any changes from blower which can also be dangerous for the motor. This new design places the MAF's on the charge pipe (and comes with the MAF extension cables). The water intercooler was an issue with the Stillen causing heat soak issues for big power as well, so some would opt to upgrade to the frozenboost heat exchanger, or the other option that came up was Topgunz originally came out with the air-air intercooler (with the charge pipe with relocated MAF, etc). This option was available for current stillen owners and came at a cost of $1500.
Topgunz - air to air upgrade - Nissan 370Z Forum

Originally I had picked up a used blower and was going to send it to 928 for the SuperVortech upgrade (upgrading the SCi impeller for Si impeller yielding ~15% more air), and the SuperVortech also comes with upgraded ceramic bearings so you can use a smaller puller and spin the blower at higher RPM's. I started talking to Aaron (Topgunz) at that point as I wanted to pair the upgraded blower with his intercooler, and order the rest of the parts from Stillen. Easier said than done--Stillen had no interest selling Joe Dirt the manifold, brackets and hardware to make their own kit. Somehow, Aaron met the right person who would allow him to order the parts in bulk. So here we are, we have a fully improved supercharger kit for $6,000. It comes with the V3 Si impeller (an upgrade from the Stillen SCi blower), however the bearings remain the same and are not upgraded to the ceramics. I will be starting off using the standard 3" 8PSI pulley (which with the upgraded impeller should be giving me a bit more than 9PSI anyways).
Topgunz full supercharger kits!! - Nissan 370Z Forum

I currently have on order 1050x injectors (ordered from Aaron for $675), and it seems I will be the first G37 using the Fast Intentions 34 row oil cooler. It is listed as being for the 370Z only although it really should work considering I have a 6 speed manual coupe very similar to the 370Z. One guy at FI said it will work on G37, other brand oil coolers I've noticed seem interchangeable between 370Z and the G37 coupe but the guy over the phone who took my order made me agree that it is not guaranteed to fit since it has not been tested on a G37. So watch for that if you're interested as I did try to see if anybody had done it on a G37 but could find no instances for myself.

So at this point...I'm fully in it. Work is slow, crypto/bitcoin is down, so spending more money on a build isn't first nature at this point but I'm thinking I may also do return fuel system with the Walbro 450 and tune for flex fuel/e85. Just may have to sell a GSXR for more racecar money.

Oil cooler is expected around 4/20, so that's about when I'm hoping to start really making some moves. On the car currently are the cooler NGK GTR spark plugs (DILKAR8A8) designed for boosted motors, FI resonated test pipes (since boost is known to blow out the catalyst), and a Nismo 1.5way differential as well as a DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. Currently working out the issue with high speed vibration on the DS, hopefully I can find a good shop that may just find the diff has been shimmed improperly. I had FI RHFC's on the car that I could sell although I loved the sound so might keep them around, I will be welding in resonators along the exhaust as I can't stand the rasp and I'm amazed wife hasn't made a fuss about it.
So I bought a g37s 6mt used with a stock stillen kit.

I recently bought a long block (stock- used) and am having that installed to my car.

I am looking to do a similar build, not just for the raised performance (I was making 453 HP before) but for the reliability and safety of the motor.

Am very interested in seeing how this build plays out.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Are you saying you have two motors? This winter I’m going to put on a 3.47” jack, 3” input pulley and run just a blower guard screen and try the gates RPM belt and hopefully not get belt slip and be between 600-650whp.
There’s a guy with a Ysi blower pushing 850whp but he’s using cog pulleys but if you have a built motor you should be pushing for numbers.

Originally Posted by Nycstilleng37s
So I bought a g37s 6mt used with a stock stillen kit.

I recently bought a long block (stock- used) and am having that installed to my car.

I am looking to do a similar build, not just for the raised performance (I was making 453 HP before) but for the reliability and safety of the motor.

Am very interested in seeing how this build plays out.

Quick Reply: G3RSTY7 Air-Air Supercharger Build