MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Car wont shift past 2nd gear (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/287007-car-wont-shift-past-2nd-gear.html)

hockeyzbh 03-05-2018 03:40 PM

Car wont shift past 2nd gear

Hey guys I have an 09 g37x coupe. Few days ago we had a lot of slush (rain/snow) but nothing crazy as far as flooding goes. I am driving my car back from work as normal when halfway home all of a sudden my car starts freaking out. It wouldn't let me go past 2nd gear and it wouldn't let me go past 25 mph. Everytime I tried the car would reject it. I made it home going 25 all the way and took it to the mechanic the next day and of course everything was fine. He ran a scan and only thing that came up was MAF sensor which he attributed to the fact that he accelerated very quickly to see how the car would respond. Not sure if this is gonna be a reoccurring issue. What it seems like is the car got water in it and started to seize but im worried there is something more. Anyone ever have a similar experience or have any idea what the main issue may be? any help is appreciate!

telcoman 03-05-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by hockeyzbh (Post 4186466)
Hey guys I have an 09 g37x coupe. Few days ago we had a lot of slush (rain/snow) but nothing crazy as far as flooding goes. I am driving my car back from work as normal when halfway home all of a sudden my car starts freaking out. It wouldn't let me go past 2nd gear and it wouldn't let me go past 25 mph. Everytime I tried the car would reject it. I made it home going 25 all the way and took it to the mechanic the next day and of course everything was fine. He ran a scan and only thing that came up was MAF sensor which he attributed to the fact that he accelerated very quickly to see how the car would respond. Not sure if this is gonna be a reoccurring issue. What it seems like is the car got water in it and started to seize but im worried there is something more. Anyone ever have a similar experience or have any idea what the main issue may be? any help is appreciate!

Did you remove the fiberboard shroud from underneath the vehicle when doing oil changes and never replace it?

Telcoman

hockeyzbh 03-05-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by telcoman (Post 4186505)
Did you remove the fiberboard shroud from underneath the vehicle when doing oil changes and never replace it?

Telcoman

i didn't personally but idk about my mechanic. I was also thinking maybe fuel lines froze. I didn't have much gas that day

slartibartfast 03-05-2018 09:49 PM

Several people have recently had problems with what they think is water in their gas that causes limp mode.

hockeyzbh 03-06-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4186528)
Several people have recently had problems with what they think is water in their gas that causes limp mode.

is that from getting watered down gas? or does it just happen? trying to prevent it since we are meant to have another storm here tomorrow

slartibartfast 03-06-2018 10:32 AM

I'd say water from gas stations. I live on the very humid Texas Gulf Coast and have never had a water problem.

hockeyzbh 03-06-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4186575)
I'd say water from gas stations. I live on the very humid Texas Gulf Coast and have never had a water problem.

hmm the only gas I get is Sunoco 91 or 93 octane. It is possible I got bad gas from Conoco. It was the first time ive used it since I was desperate at the time. You guys have that down there??

slartibartfast 03-06-2018 04:25 PM

Sunoco is trying to enter the market where I live. I usually buy Shell, Exxon or Valero. Occasionally Chevron.

Be aware that independents can use name-brand signs but aren't locked into name-brand gas.

telcoman 03-06-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4186697)
Sunoco is trying to enter the market where I live. I usually buy Shell, Exxon or Valero. Occasionally Chevron.

Be aware that independents can use name-brand signs but aren't locked into name-brand gas.

I use WaWa

Telcoman

nethole 03-08-2018 09:23 AM

can you check your code please, I've had P1093 over the past couple days.

I'd be 'thrilled' if this is just a case of bad gas, so it would mean not having to shell out a couple K to fix

hockeyzbh 03-12-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by nethole (Post 4186976)
can you check your code please, I've had P1093 over the past couple days.

I'd be 'thrilled' if this is just a case of bad gas, so it would mean not having to shell out a couple K to fix

I don't recall the code he got but he said it was related to the MAF sensor. My car has since been running fine with no problems so im attributing it to possible frozen fuel line or bad gas. Sticking to the gas I usually get from now on. Exxon is good gas?

slartibartfast 03-12-2018 02:14 PM

Exxon is a Top Tier gas. You have to verify the station is a franchise and not an independent. Independents are not locked into Exxon as their supplier.

hockeyzbh 03-16-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4187725)
Exxon is a Top Tier gas. You have to verify the station is a franchise and not an independent. Independents are not locked into Exxon as their supplier.

how would you look that up lol. Does exxon provide that info on their website or something?

slartibartfast 03-16-2018 03:26 PM

Don't know. I was told this by an industry insider.