Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Radiator Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Radiator Hoses

Please be gentle on me.... I have been dealing with a coolant leak for months now. I have puddles of green on my garage floor & it's only winter. I took off the top hose, cleaned it up & replaced the clamps. Still the same problem. I did some research & was afraid it was the bypass hose. I used to be a do it yourself guy but I'm getting too old to fit my hands where those clamps are & going under the car is out.
So I brought it to my dealer as I had a free oil change coming. They charged me up front $140 to inspect it. the diagnosis was all 3 hoses cracked needing replacement. Looks like the bypass hose requires the intake tubes to be removed so I'm out. Well, they gave me a loaner for 2 days (Q70L) but they also ripped me off for $698 !! Since I was already in for $140 I had no choice.
Point of this post is not only to embarrass myself in front of all of you but also to warn others NOT to let the dealer handle this project. 2012 G37S with only 32k miles mostly in hot climate. They even had the ***** to charge me $10 to top off the tank since I didn't have time to fill it. Q70L is way to refined for my taste but willing to test drive the V8!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
$700 to replace 3 hose sections!?@# What else did they do?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry, but gotta say "you got hosed"

I'd post the dealers name on site just as a warning.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Dealer charges their price for labor and parts. You can replace on your own or take it to a Nissan dealer or a gen shop
Old 01-30-2018, 01:14 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Does anyone have a link to replacing the bypass hose? looks like that is the most labor intensive part of the job.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Too bad, you could have replaced it all with Z1 hoses and not worry about it again, like me
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Just drain the whole system makes it easier
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Джон
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow that is a complete rip off. unbelievable.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:15 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
my thing is most people don't realize the cost of maintaining or repairing a vehicle until they gripe about something like this. since you stated you fell out of touch with the diy aspect yourself you had to resort to the dealer. one thing about the dealer is they do use factory parts and their parts and labor are backed with at least a 1yr/12mile warranty. for the $700 repair that you received at the dealer i see it as being broken down as the following:
1. oil change (apprx $35)
2. diagnosis of cooling leak ($140)
3. loaner vehicle benefit worked into the cost of labor (apprx $50/day) don't know of any independent shops that provide loaner vehicles. in lieu of taking the loaner you could have asked for a 15percent discount
4. 3 factory cooling sys bypass/heater hoses (guessing apprx $50)
5. coolant ($20)
6. labor, those heater/bypass hoses are a pain in the asz to do (apprx 3hrs at $140/hr)
7. miscellaneous parts such as clips, clamps, seals that break during tear down and repair that don't make it on the actual invoice and worked into the final cost of labor
8. environmental waste disposal and taxes collect by the state (apprx $15)
9. too busy to top off your own gas fee ($10). btw did they charge you for the gas too and was that part of the $700
10. 1yr/12k mile warranty

in all actuality i do not see where you got ripped off. cars are not getting any easier to work on. parts, labor, and tools required to the the repair properly are the unforeseen expenses of owning a vehicle. hey if you got such a big issue of spending the $700 you shouldve done the job yourself.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
32K miles and all 3 hoses are already bad? That doesn't sound right even if you live in death valley.

My car has over 100K and all the hoses are still in good shape. *knock on wood*
Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by antirice
32K miles and all 3 hoses are already bad? That doesn't sound right even if you live in death valley.

My car has over 100K and all the hoses are still in good shape. *knock on wood*
Keep in mind I don't drive much as I have a MC & bicycle for the weekends. It's been about 7 years of stop & go driving.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:39 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
Please be gentle on me.... I have been dealing with a coolant leak for months now. I have puddles of green on my garage floor & it's only winter. I took off the top hose, cleaned it up & replaced the clamps. Still the same problem. I did some research & was afraid it was the bypass hose. I used to be a do it yourself guy but I'm getting too old to fit my hands where those clamps are & going under the car is out.
So I brought it to my dealer as I had a free oil change coming. They charged me up front $140 to inspect it. the diagnosis was all 3 hoses cracked needing replacement. Looks like the bypass hose requires the intake tubes to be removed so I'm out. Well, they gave me a loaner for 2 days (Q70L) but they also ripped me off for $698 !! Since I was already in for $140 I had no choice.
Point of this post is not only to embarrass myself in front of all of you but also to warn others NOT to let the dealer handle this project. 2012 G37S with only 32k miles mostly in hot climate. They even had the ***** to charge me $10 to top off the tank since I didn't have time to fill it. Q70L is way to refined for my taste but willing to test drive the V8!!!
I also got the free oil change coupon in the mail for my 2012 G37S.
I don't think you got ripped off. You could have done the work yourself but in my experience the Infiniti dealers use quality parts and guarantee their work.
While my 2012 G37S was getting the free oil change they had a 2016 Q70 with 3470 miles on the show room floor. They let me drive it home to show the wife and tomorrow will be one week that I owned my almost new Infiniti Q70
With 94.4k miles on the 2012 G37S it was going to soon need brakes, fluid changes, a possible power steering pump, plugs at 105k so instead of spending more than you did on repairs, I now have a larger more comfortable vehicle with new additional features, all new parts and a warranty.

Telcoman
Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Джон
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sorry but 700 $ to change three coolant hoses is a rip off. You can slice it any way you want but that's insanity

Probably took the mechanic 30 minutes if he was taking his time
Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Джон
I'm sorry but 700 $ to change three coolant hoses is a rip off. You can slice it any way you want but that's insanity

Probably took the mechanic 30 minutes if he was taking his time
Seriously. I don't care how you break it down, $700 for that and charging the customer for a loaner..?? I've never been charged to use a dealership loaner vehicle and I can't recall a family member being charged per day either. Usually, it's done as a courtesy considering you bought a $20-45k car from them (pending when you bought it) or the fact that you're giving them business.

These hoses aren't **** to replace...when you have to loosen motor mounts to give yourself room to remove the airbox, charge pipe, and splash shield then you can say this job sucks...Probably took longer waiting for the coolant to drain than it did to replace the actual hoses.

That's why you always ask for a quote before allowing the dealership (or any body)to touch your car.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Seriously. I don't care how you break it down, $700 for that and charging the customer for a loaner..?? I've never been charged to use a dealership loaner vehicle and I can't recall a family member being charged per day either. Usually, it's done as a courtesy considering you bought a $20-45k car from them (pending when you bought it) or the fact that you're giving them business.

These hoses aren't **** to replace...when you have to loosen motor mounts to give yourself room to remove the airbox, charge pipe, and splash shield then you can say this job sucks...Probably took longer waiting for the coolant to drain than it did to replace the actual hoses.

That's why you always ask for a quote before allowing the dealership (or any body)to touch your car.
You really didn't read my post did you?
Loaner was free, they charged me for gas top off.
The bypass hose is hard to reach & both intakes need to be removed.
I got a quote after I agreed to a $140 diagnostic fee.
I doubt you could do this in one hour as you claim.

Quick Reply: Radiator Hoses