Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Coolant expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Coolant expansion tank

Hey, Forum

So I opened my hood the other day and noticed that the area around the cap of the coolant expansion tank has a bunch of dried up coolant and it looks like lime scale/calcium deposit build up. It's solid stuff and it isn't alot but it is there. I was wondering what could be the cause of this? Should I clean it off and see if it occurs again? Also, at what mileage do you all recommend a coolant system flush? I'm at about 59k and I get a **** ton of highway miles in. Not so much city stop-n-go driving. I'm in Texas too.

Best,
Banshee
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ seems to be a common occurrence. no big deal, just clean it off periodically assuming it is a small amount. same thing happens to me. i need to wipe it off every 6 months or so as i do a mini-detail underhood. if things seem to get noticeably worse or you are losing coolant then it warrants further investigation.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Coolant is pretty long life interval, I'd do a change at 75k, easy DIY if you use a Lisle No Spill Funnel kit.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks guys. I also noticed a tiny tiny drip of dried coolant where the feed hose attaches to the neck of the motor and then another tiny dried leak at the bottom hose. I'll try to snap photos of it sometime later today.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
my moms rogue has this issue idk i assume the cap is not sealing good. so i wrapped the neck with plumber sealing tape and the issue hasnt come back, yet. its beens couple months and no leak lol. ur talking about the resevoir right?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Banshee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
my moms rogue has this issue idk i assume the cap is not sealing good. so i wrapped the neck with plumber sealing tape and the issue hasnt come back, yet. its beens couple months and no leak lol. ur talking about the resevoir right?
Yes I was talking about the reservoir. As for the hose leak I just saw the other thread about seaping coolant and that basically answered my questions.

Thanks to all. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing to worry about.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also had that happen to me but it was due to the coolant reservoir being overfilled from the dealer. Haven't had it happen since I siphoned some of it out. Try checking if it's overfilled for your car.