Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Knock sensor pulling timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Knock sensor pulling timing

Car has about 70k. It's been feeling a bit sluggish in some situations so i did a couple of 3rd gear pulls monitoring knock events and spark advance via the Torque app. The car is definitely pulling a degree or two of timing. I use top tier 93 octane, so it's not the gas. I do hear a little rattle under the car like a loose heatshield sometimes when i start moving from a stop, so I'm not sure if that is contributing to a false knock situation (although i never hear the rattle in any other situation)

Anyone have a similar situation? Differential diagnosis? Something to check that I haven't thought of?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Check out this thread might be some info you seek. https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...-knocking.html
Old 09-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Check out this thread might be some info you seek. https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...-knocking.html
Thanks. Given that the timing was being pulled randomly across the powerband, I'm going to go with the assumption that this is a phantom knock from driveline noise. I'm gonna get under the car and check all the heat shields. Are there any other common culprits for driveline noise?

Also, does anyone know where the knock sensors are located in this engine? Eliminating false knock was an obsession in my old car club as the engines were notorious for it and several people had good luck using dynamat around the sensors

Last edited by Victory; 09-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Thanks. Given that the timing was being pulled randomly across the powerband, I'm going to go with the assumption that this is a phantom knock from driveline noise. I'm gonna get under the car and check all the heat shields. Are there any other common culprits for driveline noise?

Also, does anyone know where the knock sensors are located in this engine? Eliminating false knock was an obsession in my old car club as the engines were notorious for it and several people had good luck using dynamat around the sensors
I honestly don't know. I just saw this thread a few days ago, thought this might help you.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:17 AM
Victory
Registered Member

found some sticks in a heat shield causing noise. I don't think they're the issue though