Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37/370Z 7AT FAQ Mega-Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Skylineactiv16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Uhm...

'The all-new TCU Flash Tool integrates with the vehicles onboard communications network via OBD to access the ECU, TCU and Convenience modules to adjust/reset the shift strategies within the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) control components to "point" or “re address” these strategies to the best and most optimal settings.'

'This includes changing the transmission shift speed pointer to a faster/different setting. The internal components that make up the mechanics of the transmission have a wide range of tolerance and multiple settings allowing manufacturers in most cases to use single components across a whole range of vehicles, from a VW golf to a Lamborghini Aventador. They all contain similar if not the same generation components, usually built in the same factory, but have model specific programs that are used for their specific application.'

No.

The fact their "explanation" is all transmissions are the same should be more than enough reason to give this snake oil a wide birth.
sure man, that's what I tought it was snake oil but is not, search what is a tcu online and how its connected to the obd2, you know that after they sale you a car it says it has amount of h.p. and torque, next 3 years the same car, the same engine and same transmission has more horsepower then the last three years old model. You know it's a tune on the TCU and on the motor.
I'm 100% sure that you are those car salespersons even if you say you ain't.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Skylineactiv16

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Uhm...

'The all-new TCU Flash Tool integrates with the vehicles onboard communications network via OBD to access the ECU, TCU and Convenience modules to adjust/reset the shift strategies within the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) control components to "point" or “re address” these strategies to the best and most optimal settings.'

'This includes changing the transmission shift speed pointer to a faster/different setting. The internal components that make up the mechanics of the transmission have a wide range of tolerance and multiple settings allowing manufacturers in most cases to use single components across a whole range of vehicles, from a VW golf to a Lamborghini Aventador. They all contain similar if not the same generation components, usually built in the same factory, but have model specific programs that are used for their specific application.'

No.

The fact their "explanation" is all transmissions are the same should be more than enough reason to give this snake oil a wide birth.
I know you are salesperson who doesn't want the truth to be out cause you lose money.
all brand new Automatic transmissions use a TCU that communicates the ecu or vise versa to do everything you said Uhm and No too. Just research in Google what a TCU does and it will tell you. All transmission are either single clutch, dual clutch, pdk, or other types that are made with a tcu too control so tell me how is this snake oil?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
What in the..?

If that's how you interpreted that all encompassing explanation you should probably pump the brakes on shelling out money for a products that the manufacturer can't even explain...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...g-box-2816093/

Then again, you seem to jump at the opportunity to endorse products that have absolutely no results: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ml#post4107700

Your money. Burn it how you see fit.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Skylineactiv16

Haha Haha, whybsuch hate with a TCU tune, you are a salesperson who wants people to believe you that they completely redesign the transmission and made it better. You swear manufactures want to make new transmission in the end for cars if all they need to do is a TCU tune, just like how the motors get tune. Why can't you see that there is a tune on the transmission control by manufacturers
Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Skylineactiv16

I know that there is a lot of **** snake oil out there but I know for a fact that the tool works exceptionally on my Mazda 6 skyactiv if you where to drive it you will be like what the heck what's dome to transmission right away. Its crisp, fast, and smooth like butter before the TCU tune it lag, and all my cars are completely modify so I know what is snake oil and what is not. I'm sorry but this time this tool is not snake oil. Best tunes come from the U.K. and the U.S.A,band this particular one was made by Porsche and top manufacturers ex employees who saw exactly how you salespersons and manufacturers pull tricks on customers and they are making **** loads of money without being greedy.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:03 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

No hate.

Actually, I'll include you in on this one time deal for a FOS-IV control module a local tuner is creating for me. All you do is plug into your fuse box and it initiates OD protocols in your car's TSI housing. From there, it systematically takes over your throttle bodies and consummates maps which create the same vacuum pressure in your intake manifold that one would experience after installing an 8 pd. pulley. Since the VQ is port injected (vs. Direct inject) the Intake manifold acts as a housing where the pressure can build and the AFR can occur before entering each cylinder. With the OEM VVEL system, power is always on tap with no delay.

If your interested, just send a one time payment of $799 $699 (he's having a sale) via PayPal through the gift option to my email.
The following users liked this post:
rosskuhns (04-21-2020)
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Skylineactiv16,

You sure sound like a troll. We tend to ban them.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Skylineactiv16,

You sure sound like a troll. We tend to ban them.
Apologies for my part. The ignorance just really rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:41 AM
IPT_Trans
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead but I'm relatively certain that I can answer plenty 7AT / RE7R01A questions, especially those related to performance applications.

-John
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 01:41 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by IPT_Trans
Bringing this back from the dead but I'm relatively certain that I can answer plenty 7AT / RE7R01A questions, especially those related to performance applications.

-John
I'm going to chime a bit on this based on the stuff that I know, accepting corrections as well. There have been a few members who went through the pain-staking process of having the Dealer "tune" the TCU which to my understanding is a re-program/update of the current software. Out of those folks a few who were tuned with either Uprev/Ecutek lost these licenses in the process being that it appears that the ECM software needs to be updated as well.
There was about 70% success from this mainly because of how much money in reality it would take to get this done as well as the inconvenience of tuned folks loosing $700+ on their tunes.

Now it's a fact that these cars record driving pattern. I have a NATS deleted ECM that I used on my car and pull it at least once a month to test other cars with. Upon re-installing it in the car I do notice a slight better shifting pattern only to revert back to the typical patterns in less than 30mins.

There have been countless of experiences of folks doing everything they simply can to improve these situations. From a total fluid replacement by 3x+ drain and fills, filter changes, line pressure adjustment in tune files as well as trying other fluids other than Nissan Matic with some confusing results at times. Sadly a few people doing it ALL and still suffering from the dead space under 3k rpm in 5,6,7 or in Drive and Drive S not helping either.
Now this part is important. There is a specific failure of the VHR that can affect this as well and is Gallery gaskets. It seems like the complaint is disassociation between when the driver expects the drop in gear vs when it actually happens.
In my experience with cars with a small-decent break in the gasket is that in this bit of time that the driver expects the VTCs are usually at 30+ degrees of advance to provide economy and need to react in an instant to accept the lower gear and provide a smooth transition.

Issues in the VTC area will and unresponsiveness when it needs to will just feel like dead-space. Now though I dont have a lot of significant data it is quite possible that the TCM expects reaction of the VTC and by not reacting when it needs to it can confuse it as an incorrect load and maintain the gear thinking you just want to go a bit up in the speed similar to using the CC to go up a few miles without dropping a gear.

I have installed 3 different transmissions in my 2010 G37s all different times using the Valve body that the transmission came with and in all honesty some where only one was a sport, another was a base G the current one is a base Z transmission and valve body. These were all TCMs that were used and proven and in neither case I had to program anything (different with a NEW TCM/Valvebody)

I believe the answer lies in a TCM tune/re-program/adjust however I believe that this can be part of the ECM as well. You cannot tune it on the common ECM flashes on it's own and like to believe that any changes done to the TCM can be lost in a ECM reprogram/flash/tune.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:39 PM
IPT_Trans
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I'm going to chime a bit on this based on the stuff that I know, accepting corrections as well. There have been a few members who went through the pain-staking process of having the Dealer "tune" the TCU which to my understanding is a re-program/update of the current software. Out of those folks a few who were tuned with either Uprev/Ecutek lost these licenses in the process being that it appears that the ECM software needs to be updated as well.
There was about 70% success from this mainly because of how much money in reality it would take to get this done as well as the inconvenience of tuned folks loosing $700+ on their tunes.

Now it's a fact that these cars record driving pattern. I have a NATS deleted ECM that I used on my car and pull it at least once a month to test other cars with. Upon re-installing it in the car I do notice a slight better shifting pattern only to revert back to the typical patterns in less than 30mins.

There have been countless of experiences of folks doing everything they simply can to improve these situations. From a total fluid replacement by 3x+ drain and fills, filter changes, line pressure adjustment in tune files as well as trying other fluids other than Nissan Matic with some confusing results at times. Sadly a few people doing it ALL and still suffering from the dead space under 3k rpm in 5,6,7 or in Drive and Drive S not helping either.
Now this part is important. There is a specific failure of the VHR that can affect this as well and is Gallery gaskets. It seems like the complaint is disassociation between when the driver expects the drop in gear vs when it actually happens.
In my experience with cars with a small-decent break in the gasket is that in this bit of time that the driver expects the VTCs are usually at 30+ degrees of advance to provide economy and need to react in an instant to accept the lower gear and provide a smooth transition.

Issues in the VTC area will and unresponsiveness when it needs to will just feel like dead-space. Now though I dont have a lot of significant data it is quite possible that the TCM expects reaction of the VTC and by not reacting when it needs to it can confuse it as an incorrect load and maintain the gear thinking you just want to go a bit up in the speed similar to using the CC to go up a few miles without dropping a gear.

I have installed 3 different transmissions in my 2010 G37s all different times using the Valve body that the transmission came with and in all honesty some where only one was a sport, another was a base G the current one is a base Z transmission and valve body. These were all TCMs that were used and proven and in neither case I had to program anything (different with a NEW TCM/Valvebody)

I believe the answer lies in a TCM tune/re-program/adjust however I believe that this can be part of the ECM as well. You cannot tune it on the common ECM flashes on it's own and like to believe that any changes done to the TCM can be lost in a ECM reprogram/flash/tune.
I can't speak on a lot of this because I've never had a customer who's had the dealer tune the TCU.
As of the last new valve body replacement (tcu really), the customer got one that was plug and play, and swapped the new electronics onto his existing IPT modded valve body. Everything worked correctly but it appears that there may be another mechanical transmission malfunction internally (gear ratio error).
Old 09-15-2023, 12:50 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by IPT_Trans
I can't speak on a lot of this because I've never had a customer who's had the dealer tune the TCU.
As of the last new valve body replacement (tcu really), the customer got one that was plug and play, and swapped the new electronics onto his existing IPT modded valve body. Everything worked correctly but it appears that there may be another mechanical transmission malfunction internally (gear ratio error).
The P0730 which is the code for the incorrect gear ratio is for the 5th speed sensor that reads the gear of the shaft, I've found that 50% of the time is a dead sensor and the other half is metal contamination stuck to the magnet of this sensor.
Because this is part of the valve body components it usually doesn't come included. Unsure if this helps
Old 09-15-2023, 01:02 PM
IPT_Trans
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
The P0730 which is the code for the incorrect gear ratio is for the 5th speed sensor that reads the gear of the shaft, I've found that 50% of the time is a dead sensor and the other half is metal contamination stuck to the magnet of this sensor.
Because this is part of the valve body components it usually doesn't come included. Unsure if this helps
Thank you!
The original problem wasn't the typical P0720 (I'll find out the exacts because the car is 100's of miles away from me being diagnosed) and I don't have the original codes in front of me- one of them was a communication error though. The original codes are all gone after the tcu swap.

There's 3 speed sensors in the unit, two are built into the valve body (which are new at this point) and there's one in the tail that reads the parking gear for all output shaft speed.
Also, it currently has a gear ratio 6 code only, my guess is internal issues.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:15 PM
IPT_Trans
Registered Member

Maybe relevant to this thread or at least of interest to you guys:

The following 2 users liked this post by IPT_Trans:
Krzysztof47 (09-25-2023), socketz67 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 03:06 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
@IPT_Trans

If one were to order your Upgraded RE7R01A Performance Automatic Transmission here: https://www.importperformancetrans.c..._detail&p=5437

Would this purchase include the following?
RE7R01A Transmission Rebuild Kit not shown on this page, but similar in make up to the others shown: https://www.importperformancetrans.c...uct_list&c=154
Upgraded valve body: https://www.importperformancetrans.c...uct_list&c=155
Upgraded torque converter: https://www.importperformancetrans.c...uct_list&c=152

Is there a core charge, or is the idea for us to pull our transmission and ship it to you? Do you have shops across different regions of the US that you could recommend for the install?

MotoIQ is one of the better Nissan engine rebuilders here on the west coast, but I'm not sure if you have working with them: https://motoiq.com/project-g37s-tran...pgrade-part-2/

Quick Reply: G37/370Z 7AT FAQ Mega-Thread