Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Do VDC, slip related to ECM?

Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 PM
enuff4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do VDC, slip related to ECM?

Long story short,

I opened sunroof and rained... water soaked/damaged shift assembly and center console area. It was fine while I was driving back to home, but next day a blue smoke came out from center console area. Dearler quoted shifter assembly and wire harness replacement since there were a burnt mark on most of switches(especially snow button). They also scanned system and found 8 error codes

Luckly, insurance company will cover for total of $4k, However, once new harness came in, all error (not communicating) codes were gone except ECM

After harness replacement, VDC & Slip light came on and dealer is asking to replace ECM, but insurance wouldn't want to do it since the light did not come up initially(picture) and there is no sign of burnt on ecm and connecting port.

Dealer is stating that the core malfunction would prevent any of other 2 lights to turn on since no communication with ECM. After the harness is replaced, they are now communicating with ECM and showing the 2 lights.

Here is my question....
1. Does above statement makes sense?
2. Would dealer messed up the ECM or other communication harness while they were replacing it? Or are they telling me the truth?
3. If dealer is right, how should I convey the insurance company ECM is malfunctioning with rain?

The attached pictures are before the replacement and after

For side note, before the incident, I had no TPMS on passenger side(tried to transfer to new wheel, but broke it while I was doing it) and as you can see the lights are gone magically... Would this mean, it is not still communicating?