Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blown Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:09 AM
ddoctorisin
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blown Transmission?

...2011 G37x. Driving last week with almost no gas... Heavy stop and go... Traffic clears I go to hammer it car stops dead. I put it into Park Start it and off we go... I get a full tank of gas and think no more of it. Oil changes every 5k synthetic only, Brakes done once that's it in2 years I put 90k on it for a total of 180k(KM) on it. Bought it with 90k drove for the past two years. This week car starts dying when I come to a stop or put into reverse. I bring it to a buddy's shop it spits 6 pages of codes. Everything from Cam sensor to tranny to MAF, you name it. I leave it for 2 hours he does the TB/MAF cleaning relearn etc. Tells me seems like an electrical issue go see the dealer. I drop it to the dealer (Nissan) I call them first to ensure they can work on the G leave it for a day get stuck with a POS sentra as a "loaner" and hear no more. I drop in this AM to check they say they havent looked yet. Agonizing day off they call me 10 minutes to close and tell me it's the Tranny. $2200CDN + TX for one from the wrecker, they cant get rebuilt or new and they have supposedly checked with Infiniti all around "no one has them" I make some calls to the US as I'm just outside Buffalo on Canada side. $5700 USD for a rebuilt 2-3 days. If it's the tranny fine... Cry whine whatever and figure out where to pull the cash from and get my baby going.

Here's the rub. Car runs fine idle, If I feather from neutral into drive or go down the drive she slips into drive no issue. Reverse is a bit more challenging. Once moving car is totally normal. I said **** it took it to 200K no issue no whine no lag no rough nothing. I don't understand why any dealer would even consider a tranny from a wrecker but the price is far less but I dont need a tranny from a write off or with 250k being put in. I didn't get to ask them question such as "Did you drop the pan? Is their fluid in the tranny etc" I have scoured everywhere for days I saw one guy here who had exact same issues and infinti had his for a month before they finally put in a tranny and all was well (including a Hiss when first put into drive before stalling) Just looking for ideas or questions etc to ask them. At this point I think I'll go to a transmission shop my buddy's shop uses and have them look her over. Sorry for the novel
Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 AM
ddoctorisin
Registered Member

Update. Nissan charged me 30 mins for calling other techs... No one dropped the pan or checked the fluid. As I don't presently own a jack or stands I'll take it to a trusted tranny shop and have them drop the pan, check the fluid and let me know what they see. To tell you that they know you need a new tranny because they spoke to some people on the phone is BS...
The following users liked this post:
dbeachy1 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Yeah, that seems to be pretty standard for the dealer service department. If it doesn't fall neatly into a a technical service bulletin they tell you you need to replace the whole thing. They tried to replace my engine for a plugged PCV passage

If you need the transmission rebuilt, Level 10 in Hamburg, NJ is the place to get the parts or a rebuilt unit from.

Last edited by Victory; 08-05-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:35 PM
ddoctorisin
Registered Member

2nd opinion was $200.. Torque converter. Choice was $2200 CDN for transmission from Wreckers of 90k car. $5700 USD for Reman from infiniti or $5000 USD for Transmission from Level 10. Both the USD options installation was extra. Sadly I had to go with the transmission from the wrecker. I'll be interested to see if it sounds like a rattle at below 20km/hr. They've had it 5 days and it wont be ready til Monday or Tuesday. They covered the rental as they had no loaners... Got a POC 2017 Ford edge... God... 4cyl Ford Ecotech in a "SUV" with 4wd sucks. $45 to fill the tank with the same driving style as my G gets me 400KM HWY as opposed to $85 for the G and 600KM HWY
Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not following you. What is the 2nd opinion $200 torque converter option? That seems like the winner. So you are spending $2200 cdn total? That sucks but it seems like you are getting it fixed.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM
ddoctorisin
Registered Member

The second opinion from local Mr T. was torque convertor. Cost $200 for the opinion they said maybe pump etc as well and didn't seem 100% sure and wanted to look further at it. Their estimate was $1500 not incl the pump or any other incidentals. Too much risk. Dealer give 60 days or 5k warranty or $500 for 1yr/2k. Problem being I drive 35k+yr so no point. I will be later swapping it for Level 10 Tranny anyway prior to building for track so it should do for the next year until I am ready to track her. I wish I had time to plan for the lvl 10 seems a shame to buy twice. They said nothing I could have done to cause this. I drive it hard in DS alot with the paddle shifters but I shift before redline. I was doing some engine breaking from time to time down hill but nothing it shouldn't have been able to handle. I did tell them I would occasionally downshift to pass a car going slow in the fast lane but again they said that shouldn't cause it.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
How much would the level 10 rebuild have cost? I would have considered just going level 10.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a transplant from a wrecker.

And you blew your transmission at 180K. Honestly not too surprising. Wear and tear does happen over the years.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
That's 180k Kilometers. Which is around 112k miles. Sounds like a case of the Trans fluid never being drained and refilled due to the lifetime fluid gimmick.

OP, out of curiosity, when was your last transmission flush?