Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Valvebody and torque converter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:51 AM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valvebody and torque converter upgrade

My car is a 2011 X with Stillen Supercharger. Looking for some place close that can do the upgrade for the 7AT valvebody and torque converter like Level 10 does. I'm in Seattle so driving all the way to NJ is not possible. Shipping my car is $1800 to NJ that's too expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS!!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 AM
gearheadrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can have your mechanic to drop the transmission pan, pull the valvebody, and then send the valvebody to Level10 to do the upgrade. You can do the same with your torque converter as well.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 AM
NoKaOi G37X
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gearheadrd
You can have your mechanic to drop the transmission pan, pull the valvebody, and then send the valvebody to Level10 to do the upgrade. You can do the same with your torque converter as well.

Thanks, sent them an email about that. Read a couple guys had issues with the ECU and TCM not communicating afterwards so I'd rather have a shop do all the work. Pulling the parts is my last resort.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 AM
gearheadrd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can send the entire transmission there for the upgrade, and it will still be cheaper than shipping your entire car there

Originally Posted by NoKaOi G37X
Thanks, sent them an email about that. Read a couple guys had issues with the ECU and TCM not communicating afterwards so I'd rather have a shop do all the work. Pulling the parts is my last resort.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by NoKaOi G37X
My car is a 2011 X with Stillen Supercharger. Looking for some place close that can do the upgrade for the 7AT valvebody and torque converter like Level 10 does. I'm in Seattle so driving all the way to NJ is not possible. Shipping my car is $1800 to NJ that's too expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS!!
did you find a shop? I'm going this route and wondered if you had a review for us!
I'd love to know more about the torque converter before I pull the trigger
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Here are some things I've read:
1. The 7at can be tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ to hold torque for a supercharger up to 400ft. lbs.
2. Gears 5,6,7 can't handle the boost from a supercharger. The clutch packs are too weak. It will hold as long as you don't boost in these gears (what fun is that?)
3. Send it to Level 10 and it will cost 4000$ to bullit proof it. They install their valve body, better clutch packs, and a better torque plate. Maybe some other magic.
4. Buy the Exedy clutch packs, Level 10 valve body and billet torque plate from Fast Intentions and have a local guy install it. Still would have to have it tuned properly by someone. Might cost as much as just sending it to Level 10.
I may have missed something.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
You've pretty much nailed it. I have heard it's easy to get the clutch packs wrong. Not sure if that's Level10 trying to get more work sent their way or what but it's definitely a job for a performance transmission shop and not your run of the mill place.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Just wanted to say, this is exactly what i did. Almost 6 months on the trans. 8k miles or more.
-Level 10 valve body and 3k torque converter.
Also added exedy clutch kit for 7at.
Also added fast intentions flex plate.
Did a stillen trans cooler, but will be upgrading that to a 25 size row cooler from around 15 row size or so that it is now with stillen trans cooler. Ive had fluid changed 2x now with no issues. Multiple track sessions and drag strip passes. Also 8k or so miles put on, I’ve drove around the south east the last few months. Florida, Georgia,the Carolinas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. Car is very much dailable but it is very aggressive shifting. Under $1000 labor to build trans professionally when you supply parts.

Originally Posted by Invaderzim
Here are some things I've read:
1. The 7at can be tuned by Seb at SpecialtyZ to hold torque for a supercharger up to 400ft. lbs.
2. Gears 5,6,7 can't handle the boost from a supercharger. The clutch packs are too weak. It will hold as long as you don't boost in these gears (what fun is that?)
3. Send it to Level 10 and it will cost 4000$ to bullit proof it. They install their valve body, better clutch packs, and a better torque plate. Maybe some other magic.
4. Buy the Exedy clutch packs, Level 10 valve body and billet torque plate from Fast Intentions and have a local guy install it. Still would have to have it tuned properly by someone. Might cost as much as just sending it to Level 10.
I may have missed something.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (12-22-2018)