Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blown Engine, What's next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 AM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by milkcow500
I agree that it's probably not worth it to the OP to do such an extensive upgrade. I went through this, so I'm well aware of the costs. To my knowledge, there's no single turbo setup for the 7at G, so he would have to go TT, which I doubt he wants to do.

Another option is to sell the Stillen kit and wait for RJM's Whipple kit to come out.
I'm looking at another like 5-6k if i go with the used motor, a2a and e85. how much will a twin turbo kit cost me? I'm guessing well over 12k?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by msonbolg37x
I'm looking at another like 5-6k if i go with the used motor, a2a and e85. how much will a twin turbo kit cost me? I'm guessing well over 12k?
Easily well over that. RJM's whipple kit looks amazing though fyi. Stage 1 - 500whp at under 10k. It's worth taking a look at.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
.. switch over to SD tuning on EcuTek to avoid your MAFs tuning issues.

anyone know if ecutek now supports 08... or if there is a workaround for the 08 ecu..
Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by micafd3s
anyone know if ecutek now supports 08... or if there is a workaround for the 08 ecu..
I remember people talking about swapping ECUs for the 08s. I thought you could run EcuTek on the 08 without the extra features.

Worst case for the 08 you could relocate the MAFs and just use Uprev, since their new update is pretty good from what I hear.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:51 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
I didn't realize we were talking about an automatic transmission. You will need to build your transmission over 400wtq anyway which will make your costs even higher. If the cost is an issue then don't seek for more power just swap out for another stock motor and call it a day.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ttv36
I didn't realize we were talking about an automatic transmission. You will need to build your transmission over 400wtq anyway which will make your costs even higher. If the cost is an issue then don't seek for more power just swap out for another stock motor and call it a day.
Yea if he was 6spd, then BP kit all the way. Luckily he mentioned that he already built his trans, so he should be good in that area.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:06 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Yea if he was 6spd, then BP kit all the way. Luckily he mentioned that he already built his trans, so he should be good in that area.
Wow I fully failed reading comprehension! I guess I had too much scotch last night
Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
And he is awd. Are there any tt kits even available for awd auto g?

Sorry to hear about your ride. Hope everything gets sorted out. After hearing your story and talking with another guy who was tuned at the same place who was also disappointed, (they have Ecutek there but I haven't heard of them tuning someone with it yet) I think if the time comes for me I will go with Seb at Specialty Z.
Please keep us updated with your progress. I think you have the only boosted g37 up here in MN.

Last edited by Invaderzim; 04-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ttv36
I have still seen motors blown even with the air to air setup. Seriously, if you want over 400whp ditch the Stillen. Otherwise stick with it throw another stock block in and be content with 400whp.
Ummm.. Can you please list the names of these blown motors? I would love to hear this.

Yes one guy with the kit blew his motor. He called me and said "I ****ed up when going WOT and went from 3rd to 2nd, watched the rpm needle bounce to 8K, then boom. It had nothing to do with the kit". He was pushing 560whp and running that car harder every weekend than most guys do all year.

Easily well over that. RJM's whipple kit looks amazing though fyi. Stage 1 - 500whp at under 10k. It's worth taking a look at.
The kit hasnt even been made yet. The guy making the hood has still to even source one to cut up for the 370Z, god knows how that will turn out loooking. You really think they will come out with a hood for the G? Maybe...but do you want to wait for a "possible" kit then a "doubtful" hood for the G. So a 10K kit plus the hood plus a built motor plus all the labor if your not doing it yourself...looking at closer to $20K now.

Apparently the G guys have not jumped on the A2A bandwagon yet. However there are 3 out there now. The 370z guys cant get enough of it because it completely changed the way their cars drive. Adds power, safety, responsiveness and sound (if that matters to you).

The most recent guy to go A2A said he was scared to get fully into the throttle after the re-tune. The guy that relocated MAFS into the pipe and put a filter directly on the sc and upgraded to frozen boost ic just bought a kit yesterday because his intake temps were still crap.

Last edited by Topgunz; 04-07-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP. I have been in your shoes. I popped my motor with a turbo then sourced a new one, turned out the motor had a very slightly bent crank when put on the micrometer. It was a gamble to install it so I ended up ordering a crank and then forged internals. When it was all said and done I really wished i had just bought a pre-built bottom end from Kyle at IPP. However, if you go this route plan on keeping your G for a long time as you wont get anything back out of it when you go to sell unless you find that perfect buyer. Even then it will be minimal.

The stillen kit with A2A at 10psi and roughly 475-500whp is going to be a very safe option. Which you are limited to if you want to stay boosted and under X amount of dollars. I mean think about it.. Its a blower, going through a properly sized intercooler. This is the same as hundreds of thousands of other cars out there. If that idea scares you then just stay NA. The stillen kit on the water system is also safe (on a good tune but a tune could take out ANY car/kit) Just dont try to push more power out of the stillen kit then the water system was designed to do. So that means under 400whp and 300tq. If you go that route = no built motor.

Who was your tuner that had you at only 365whp and a garbage tune here?

Last edited by Topgunz; 04-07-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

I'd listen to Topgunz. That RJM kit does look very enticing though and we have a couple aftermarket options for the G with scoop-like features on the hood that "should" work. On another note, do you think it would require an engine build for their stage 1 kit?

I get a feeling the OP will be satisfied with the power level of the stock stillen kit, which is why I initially mentioned that the y pipe delete and retune with SD would be best for him.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 AM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Topgunz
OP. I have been in your shoes. I popped my motor with a turbo then sourced a new one, turned out the motor had a very slightly bent crank when put on the micrometer. It was a gamble to install it so I ended up ordering a crank and then forged internals. When it was all said and done I really wished i had just bought a pre-built bottom end from Kyle at IPP. However, if you go this route plan on keeping your G for a long time as you wont get anything back out of it when you go to sell unless you find that perfect buyer. Even then it will be minimal.

The stillen kit with A2A at 10psi and roughly 475-500whp is going to be a very safe option. Which you are limited to if you want to stay boosted and under X amount of dollars. I mean think about it.. Its a blower, going through a properly sized intercooler. This is the same as hundreds of thousands of other cars out there. If that idea scares you then just stay NA. The stillen kit on the water system is also safe (on a good tune but a tune could take out ANY car/kit) Just dont try to push more power out of the stillen kit then the water system was designed to do. So that means under 400whp and 300tq. If you go that route = no built motor.

Who was your tuner that had you at only 365whp and a garbage tune here?
I'd be very happy with 475-500whp if i can make it safely. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I've spend over 20k in mods on this thing and I just want it to run at this point lol. My tuner was Shane at DB. Worst experience of my life.

tuned it and told me the car was running good until I paid then they told me that it needs to get towed out of there because it won't make it home because the transmission was fried
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by msonbolg37x
I'd be very happy with 475-500whp if i can make it safely. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I've spend over 20k in mods on this thing and I just want it to run at this point lol. My tuner was Shane at DB. Worst experience of my life.

tuned it and told me the car was running good until I paid then they told me that it needs to get towed out of there because it won't make it home because the transmission was fried
I suggest you go with A2A then and get a real tuner. If you can't find a good one local to you, you can look into e-tunes and run logs on the road or a local dyno. My tuner is all the way in cali and I've had no regrets in switching over to him.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

I suggest you go with A2A then and get a real tuner. If you can't find a good one local to you, you can look into e-tunes and run logs on the road or a local dyno. My tuner is all the way in cali and I've had no regrets in switching over to him.
Yeah that's the plan as of right now. I've talked to Seb and Topgunz already. Gotta find a new motor first. Just hard to find one when there's no way of confirming the miles on it
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 PM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Invaderzim
And he is awd. Are there any tt kits even available for awd auto g?

Sorry to hear about your ride. Hope everything gets sorted out. After hearing your story and talking with another guy who was tuned at the same place who was also disappointed, (they have Ecutek there but I haven't heard of them tuning someone with it yet) I think if the time comes for me I will go with Seb at Specialty Z.
Please keep us updated with your progress. I think you have the only boosted g37 up here in MN.
Who is your friend? yeah i def don't recommend anyone to ever go there. I think there's a sedan that was supercharged and I think he blew his trans on the dyno as well and hasn't fixed it yet. I'll keep everyone posted on the build. It'll probably be sitting till winter before I start on it.

Quick Reply: Blown Engine, What's next?