MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Too late for a supercharger? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/278474-too-late-for-a-supercharger.html)

Ihtbealexxx 09-17-2016 01:53 PM

Too late for a supercharger?

Hello all,

Currently have 53k on the dash in my 7AT '11 G37x. I'm considering supercharging my car in the next half year. By the time I have enough saved up for a kit, I should have 60-62k miles on the car. Would it be too late in the car's life for a swap to be viable or would there be too many variables that could go wrong to be worth it?

So far besides the supercharger itself, I think I would also have to get an oil cooler, tranny cooler, and a valve body upgrade. Anything else I'm missing?

CPJ LB 09-17-2016 02:43 PM

I'd contact Stillen for some input....also depending on how much boost you'll be running.

Upscale Speed 09-17-2016 04:35 PM

That's not too old a motor to boost. Go for it

ZahyMatar 09-17-2016 11:20 PM

I think you'll be fine with even more miles considering you have all the supporting modifications. Turbos would be a completely different story though.

ninja_please80 09-18-2016 12:43 AM

Results from a compression test will be the key factor.

Ihtbealexxx 09-19-2016 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar (Post 4074173)
I think you'll be fine with even more miles considering you have all the supporting modifications. Turbos would be a completely different story though.

What would the full list of supporting mods be?

milkcow500 09-20-2016 05:25 PM

Hey Alex, It's Justin from that bbq meet we had. I'm at 70k miles with no big issues with the stillen kit.

Some things you should look into getting including the ones you listed:

If you intend to stay with stillen's W-A kit:

Oil cooler
Transmission cooler
Frozenboost cooler
I would do valve body through Level10 at minimum
EcuTek tune
Gauges (optional)

If you posted in the FI part of the forums, you'd be getting a lot more responses.

Tuckermaclain 09-22-2016 12:23 PM

Ha! You should have PM'd me. I had a 2010 G37x. I was looking to get rid of. Had the stillen blower put on at 55,000 miles. Drove it about 1000 miles after that. Wicked fast! Was gonna give it to my daughter when I got my ATS-V. Didn't like the idea of giving it to a 19 year old. Anyway, I ended up giving to to my sister and brother-in-law. He is a retired cop. They LOVE it. Had some Tanabe Medallion Touring axle-backs and it sound nice and rumbly--not ear-splitting ricey. Once in a while I would get a temporary SES light on and it bugged me enough to get my ATS-V. The G was nearly as quick but nowhere near the Caddie in chassis or brakes or engine smoothness. It was awesome though! Go ahead! The Stillen kit is great! I guess I'm not a fan of aftermarket SCs any more. Don't like those random SES lights you might get. I know it's minor. If you do get it, consider the Level-10 valve body upgrade. I'm glad I got it. I also like the tranny oil and engine oil cooler. I didn't find the extra guages I put on to be terribly useful since I don't race.