MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Car wont up-shift/rev over 3500rpm/jerking (with video) (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/277502-car-wont-up-shift-rev-over-3500rpm-jerking-with-video.html)

WalterC 07-30-2016 02:43 PM

Car wont up-shift/rev over 3500rpm/jerking (with video)

Hi there,

I have following 2 situations happened to me, wondering if anything experienced similar/know the cause/solution.

2009 G37 coupe /80k km/ auto

few months ago, i was driving in the city and car would not upshift.
when i step on gas it wouldn't rev up and i floored it, and the rev bounced between 3000-3250rpm, car kept jerking. try using the shifting paddle did not help. i happened to be around the Infiniti dealer so i kept up with traffic and went there.
Parked, got the tech came out, he sat in my car, started up, drove for a round and the same issue did not occur.

i did took a clip to show him but he said it would be because i just put new winter tired on and caused it.
link to video: (

fast forward to yesterday, i was on the highway, almost got into a crash as the same problem suddenly occurred.
i was about to change lane and pass the car next to me, when i stepped on the gas/and eventually floored it, the car was jerking again, rev locked at the similar rpm like last time, expect i was on the highway so when i floored it, i actually felt the car was slow/lost power. Again, shifting paddle did not help, so i waiting the traffic up front cleared a bit, put it in manual sport mode, i was able to shift up all the from 7th gear (was at around 120km at the time) but not shift down. so i basically kept myself between 4th-7th gear, rev limited at 3250rpm and whole trip till i eventually got home.

This time it does worry me and i almost got into a crash when i was changing lane.

anyone had experience this? idea? thoughts?

slartibartfast 07-30-2016 05:27 PM

That's called limp-mode. You should be getting a CEL. If not, find someone who can plug into the OBD port and check for codes.

PNW_IPL 07-30-2016 06:39 PM

My car went into limp mode after intake install. Forget the code but it didn't trigger the engine light it was pending when I plugged the scanner in. Erased the pending code and it hasn't happened since. About 2k miles or so ago. No idea why it happened or what fixed it but it was so scary cat shifted fine but no power.

WalterC 08-01-2016 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4058895)
That's called limp-mode. You should be getting a CEL. If not, find someone who can plug into the OBD port and check for codes.

thanks pal, i called the dealer, the tech said they are not aware of this situation - said its not common
they said my 2009 warranty has run out.
they suggested me to bring it in for a code scan ~$40 for a diagnose and see whats next

WalterC 08-01-2016 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL (Post 4058900)
My car went into limp mode after intake install. Forget the code but it didn't trigger the engine light it was pending when I plugged the scanner in. Erased the pending code and it hasn't happened since. About 2k miles or so ago. No idea why it happened or what fixed it but it was so scary cat shifted fine but no power.

my car was stalk when the first time it happened (in video)
and i have put on fast intensions exhaust when it happened again few days ago.
so looks like it could happen both on stock/after market installed

Epiphany 08-01-2016 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by WalterC (Post 4059470)
thanks pal, i called the dealer, the tech said they are not aware of this situation - said its not common
they said my 2009 warranty has run out.
they suggested me to bring it in for a code scan ~$40 for a diagnose and see whats next

If you can get it to drive normally to one close to you, any auto zone type place should check for codes for free for you, to let you know if anything is pending. Is your car awd?

WalterC 08-14-2016 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Epiphany (Post 4059475)
If you can get it to drive normally to one close to you, any auto zone type place should check for codes for free for you, to let you know if anything is pending. Is your car awd?

no, mine is RWD

maybe my shop who does my oil change can do a code scan for me next when i go it.
It hasnt acted up the past few weeks so im putting this issue aside for now.

Off topic - just went through a slow slope and bent my muffler and scratched my exhaust tips...it hurts...

micafd3s 08-14-2016 08:30 AM

make sure your maf sensor isnt loosely connected...

Joshua Pilgrim 03-22-2018 09:53 PM

Has anyone found a answer to this problem? I have done everything I could think of with my37. I have replace the cam sensor and actuators. I have also replace the oil pressure sending unit. But I keep getting a upshift failure while I’m driving. Could it be a bent fuel line causing this problem; a bad fuel pump; or the cat could be full of debris

hileo 04-17-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Joshua Pilgrim (Post 4189627)
Has anyone found a answer to this problem? I have done everything I could think of with my37. I have replace the cam sensor and actuators. I have also replace the oil pressure sending unit. But I keep getting a upshift failure while I’m driving. Could it be a bent fuel line causing this problem; a bad fuel pump; or the cat could be full of debris

This sounds eerily similar to what I've experienced. Replaced cam sensor, car drops into limp mode randomly (can't rev past 3500), and when I read the codes I get the constant P0345 camshaft sensor in "pending" mode, meaning it won't show up on the dash yet until its confirmed?

See my thread here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...-sprocket.html

I hope I'm wrong though.

G3sevenn 09-26-2021 01:37 PM

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I’ve been dealing with the same thing trying to figure out what’s happening

s10689834 08-07-2022 08:04 PM

I'm having this problem with my 2013 G37xS

I'm having the same exact symptoms on my G but it's throwing the P0011 code. It happened right after an oil change. I've cleared the codes, change the oil pressure sensor (because I already knew I needed one), I've tested and swapped the vtc valves, I've changed the cam sensor and MAF sensor, I've even gone as far as changing the gallery gasket and making sure the timing is correct. I just recently changed the VVEL control module and I still haven't found the problem. My next step is to change the VVT sprocket. Has anyone found a solution to this?

vqmaxxx 08-12-2022 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by WalterC (Post 4058865)
Hi there,

I have following 2 situations happened to me, wondering if anything experienced similar/know the cause/solution.

2009 G37 coupe /80k km/ auto

few months ago, i was driving in the city and car would not upshift.
when i step on gas it wouldn't rev up and i floored it, and the rev bounced between 3000-3250rpm, car kept jerking. try using the shifting paddle did not help. i happened to be around the Infiniti dealer so i kept up with traffic and went there.
Parked, got the tech came out, he sat in my car, started up, drove for a round and the same issue did not occur.

i did took a clip to show him but he said it would be because i just put new winter tired on and caused it.
link to video: (Inifiniti G37 upshift fail - YouTube

fast forward to yesterday, i was on the highway, almost got into a crash as the same problem suddenly occurred.
i was about to change lane and pass the car next to me, when i stepped on the gas/and eventually floored it, the car was jerking again, rev locked at the similar rpm like last time, expect i was on the highway so when i floored it, i actually felt the car was slow/lost power. Again, shifting paddle did not help, so i waiting the traffic up front cleared a bit, put it in manual sport mode, i was able to shift up all the from 7th gear (was at around 120km at the time) but not shift down. so i basically kept myself between 4th-7th gear, rev limited at 3250rpm and whole trip till i eventually got home.

This time it does worry me and i almost got into a crash when i was changing lane.

anyone had experience this? idea? thoughts?

ignition coils, light as well replace the spark plugs

s10689834 08-13-2022 01:56 AM

Update on these symptoms with the p0011 code

Originally Posted by vqmaxxx (Post 4313885)
ignition coils, light as well replace the spark plugs

I recently posted about how I had these same symptoms and have changed out multiple parts. I found that replacing the variable timing cam sprockets was what fixed this problem.

DongSoLo 09-02-2022 01:41 AM

LIMP MODE....car won't rev over 2500 to 3500 rpms/ P0011 CODE

Hey to all my enthusiasts out here rocking these fine g37s! So back in June my car went down after getting my water pump changed and rear galley gasket by an infiniti dealer in March. (Did that to get proper timing and warranty in parts and labor) anyway so my car would start bucking and wouldn't go over 2500 rpms and went to LMode. I checked the cam shaft sensors and connectors, wheel speed sensors, abs sensors. To my surprise today I was looking through some videos and found this. Check your variable timing solenoids. I pulled out mine and noticed the plunger one of them looked scorched on the end. Maybe its time to replace. Im gonna order 2 (BTW I have 2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan) and let you know what I get and how it goes when installed. But here's the video I found that made me go check them out in the middle of the night.