Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

First Stillen SC A-A Upgrade Kit - G37xs

Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm using Berk Resonated TPs right now. I blew out the stock ones shortly after installing the kit. I didn't go with HFC because the heat will destroy those even faster.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
So non-resonated would be the best way to go huh?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Either or should be fine.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

I got my first updated map from Sebastian. Flashed it this morning and it feels really good. Back to more logging...
Old 05-18-2016, 02:05 PM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I've heard from stillen and others that you need back pressure from the oem cats. heard people lose as much as 30-40hp with the rhfc. I sold my rhfc and went back to the stock cats when i supercharged my G.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

The heat is too much for any catalytic converter honestly. You'll blow them eventually and they are not cheap to replace. When I initially switched over to EcuTek, the only difference was that I had changed over to test pipes and I ended up making more power. There's too many factors to say that it helped, but either way I can now up the boost to compensate for the lost power.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
kaostheory1

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Completely agree i.e. the cats, don't believe the internet 'experts', while true that the backpressure is good in terms of power, no cat can sustain that heat for long. I took Stillens word for it that my car would make more power with the stock cats so I swapped out my FI test pipes for the stock cats...car did make slightly more power, so they were technically correct... however within 6 weeks I blew out my drivers side honeycomb in the cat and it just rattled around in the cat and was generally embarrassing every time I drove the car until I put the test pipes back on. =P

How goes the tuning Milkcow? Dyno time coming?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
It's not the back pressure for the power alone it's the PSI drop from it. You'll lose 2 PSI or so with TP's but you can up the PSI back to where it was and retune and make more power, this was on the 370Z forum a while ago. Even when I had mine I didn't agree total about keeping the HFC's. Still says it because their tune wont support the extra flow. But again their tune is TERRIBLE anyways. Getting TP's is nothing because you getting a custom tune anyways
Old 05-20-2016, 02:53 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Tuning is going well so far. I'm pretty much going back and forth with Sebastian day by day. I get him logs in the afternoon and he usually gives me an update/new tune by midnight.

I started my WOT logs last night and it was pretty nerve racking. It seems like it's going well though. I should hear back from Sebastian later today with some good news hopefully. No date on the dyno yet unfortunately. If my luck keeps on like this, I won't need it for the tuning process. If anything, I'll just do it so I can get everyone some numbers.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Here are my WOT runs:
The following users liked this post:
Upscale Speed (05-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Team_STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
It's not the back pressure for the power alone it's the PSI drop from it. You'll lose 2 PSI or so with TP's but you can up the PSI back to where it was and retune and make more power, this was on the 370Z forum a while ago. Even when I had mine I didn't agree total about keeping the HFC's. Still says it because their tune wont support the extra flow. But again their tune is TERRIBLE anyways. Getting TP's is nothing because you getting a custom tune anyways
Man...I don't you'll ever get off that train man. (no joke I bet 50% of your posts mention STILLEN's tune)

The STILLEN Tune of old was pretty bad. However, we have redone so many of the tunes that they are reliable. The goal with the canned tune was consistency, not optimal power. It is impossible to have preset tunes that will be amazing for every car because of all the variables. If you want the best results, a custom tune is almost always your best bet, but for those without access to a good local tuner, the canned tune works well and is reliable.

*Note: a lot of people were able to download the old tunes for quite a while before all of them were updated. Hence why there were still a lot more complaints flying around even semi recently.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Awesome pulls Milkcow. Sounds great and seems to pull hard. Loving it.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Update: Got my gauge working to show proper AFRs. Apparently it was a silly setting that was set to E85, so it reads AFRs differently and also in lambda. I ran another WOT run and it looks good until 6500+ rpms, where I'm at the mid 12s. I'm leaning out at the top end and I think there may be an issue with my fuel return, so I'm kind of in a pickle at the moment.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:47 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Mine was doing the same thing.. No matter how much we "fattened it" it was lean. Mine wound up being and issue with the fuel pump install, feed line was cracked.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:49 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Team_STILLEN
Man...I don't you'll ever get off that train man. (no joke I bet 50% of your posts mention STILLEN's tune)

The STILLEN Tune of old was pretty bad. However, we have redone so many of the tunes that they are reliable. The goal with the canned tune was consistency, not optimal power. It is impossible to have preset tunes that will be amazing for every car because of all the variables. If you want the best results, a custom tune is almost always your best bet, but for those without access to a good local tuner, the canned tune works well and is reliable.

*Note: a lot of people were able to download the old tunes for quite a while before all of them were updated. Hence why there were still a lot more complaints flying around even semi recently.

Not saying you told him this but this is why I don't "As you put it, Get off that train"

BTW was posted today
"Ok so Stillen had told me my car was doing 420 to the back wheels
Well this is the dyno pull from Specialty-Z
Man I always felt my car was such a dog and had no pull for having a SC , I guess my butt dyno was right"

His dyno showed 334 WHP and 272 WTRQ,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Stillen SC A-A Upgrade Kit - G37xs