MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   A Couple of rare mods would like your opinions with (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/272269-a-couple-of-rare-mods-would-like-your-opinions-with.html)

DevilsG37s 12-19-2015 04:53 PM

A Couple of rare mods would like your opinions with

Hi,

What I'm about to post here have been deeply researched and looked for until I came to a conclusion that I will install those mods.. Unless you guys see otherwise, please state the reason why I shouldn't.

The first is a Water/Meth Injection Kit made by AEM.

Water/Methanol Multi Input Injection Kit for MAF, MAP, 0-5V or IDC | AEM

Well, the reasons for thinking of getting this mod are:

1) The bad 95 RON (90-91 AKI) pump gas around here. And no other higher Octane gas than this. Could get VP race gas but it's very expensive because it's illegal here.

2) The hot weather in the Summer which could easily reach 115 F at day time.

This is a cheap way to increase the Octane rating and reduce the temps when it's necessary. A 165 KG drum of Methanol here is about $205 (yes it's measured by mass not volume when making a % mix with water).

3) Tuning. Recently I got my car EcuTek E-tuned by a pro tuner which is well known here in the forums. Let me just say it wasn't a pleasant experience tuning with him. Nevertheless, He netted me around 3 WHP up top and around 7-9 WHP in mid to high RPM range. I was actually expecting more but this is the maximum the car can get with the gas available here according to what he stated.

So I showed my data logs to another tuner as I came to a dead end with the one who tuned my car. The second one told me that the car easily knocks and recommended me to get a race gas to see if there will be any knock corrections at a 4th gear pull on the aggressive map.

For that, I made the old school Toluene/Pump gas mix and increased the Octane rating to about 94 AKI. Used this site to mix the right ratio (Octane Mixture Calculator). Result was as expected, no knock corrections occurred throughout the pull. Meaning there is a place for more timing and more power to be gained.

That is all to know about the first mod.

The second one came to my mind when was researching the water meth mod.

Crankcase Evacuation System

Allstar Performance Crankcase Evacuation Systems ALL34145 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

This is necessary to prevent the crankcase get contaminated by the water/meth mix that could get in from the small tubes at the intake tubing which is feeding fresh air to the crankcase.

This can be done by installing caps on these small ports on the intake tubes so the water meth would only flow through the throttle bodies into the combustion chambers.

This mod will also help in making more vacuum in the crankcase which is good for the seals and the performance of the engine.

I'm just not sure about the set up of the crankcase evac system whether at the PCV or the valve covers ports. Would like your help in how to set it up.

Any opinions & thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

DevilsG37s 12-19-2015 10:26 PM

Forgot to mention the mods on the car. Here:

1) Z1 oil cooler with 25 Setrab core for the engine.
2) CNT Test Pipes with HKS Resonators Style.
3) aFe drop ins with HPS Post MAF Silicone intake hoses.
4) Waiting in the garage to be installed soon the new Z1 Cold Air Intake kit.

I dynoed before and after the tune with the same parts installed. (SAE, Smoothing=5. With almost the same conditions)

Base line before the tune: whp= 284.74/Tq= 234.47

After the tune whp= 287.55/ Tq= was not reading well this time but it was almost the same before it fluctuates.

But like I said, around 7 to 9 whp gain in mid to high range. Not much gain in Tq though

Car is lightly moded and will get more parts as I'm slowly progressing in this.

VIVID 12-20-2015 08:09 AM

Wow!!! 3 ponies?

I've been looking into a tune very seriously, but if I'm going to only get three HP for $700...I might just shelve the idea. I mean I can get the equivalent of three HP by going on a diet!!! :bowrofl:

Sean

DevilsG37s 12-20-2015 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by VIVID (Post 3977986)
Wow!!! 3 ponies?

I've been looking into a tune very seriously, but if I'm going to only get three HP for $700...I might just shelve the idea. I mean I can get the equivalent of three HP by going on a diet!!! :bowrofl:

Sean

You'll get more than three ponies. Just run 93 fuel and you'll be seeing a difference before and after the tune. As the more Octane you feed your engine to a certain limit, more timing can be added, thus more power.

EcuTek is proven well by many members in here with good gains. Whether if it's an etune or a dyno tune. It also depends on the tuner.

Upscale Speed 12-20-2015 10:57 PM

Who did your tune?

DevilsG37s 12-21-2015 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed (Post 3978154)
Who did your tune?

I would really like to keep this to myself as I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's business.

Let's just focus on the mods shall we :biggthumpup:

DevilsG37s 12-21-2015 12:04 PM

Here is an idea that I've come to.

Connecting a Tee fitting to the hose coming from the PCV on the valve cover, one port goes to another in-line PCV valve then to the intake manifold. The other port goes to where I would weld in the steel threaded nipples with the 45 degree angle. These kits are always come with check valves so I wouldn't be concerned about the exhaust gases flow back to the intake manifold when the vacuum is higher in the manifold. So once there is almost no vacuum in the mani when in WOT, the exhaust flow will step in and take care of evacuating the pressure building up in the crankcase.

Can also add OCCs between the OEM PCVs and the Tee fittings.

Here is a simple funny diagram that I made to ease up things.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...0987b5bfe1.jpg

The left side is with OCC setup, the right is without. Of course can only run one set up on both sides. this is just to show you the difference.

And for the small tubes at the intake tubes, I can just cap these and install breathers on the ports of the crankcase.

slartibartfast 12-24-2015 09:08 PM

A simpler and cheaper solution would be just inject water. While methanol would add to the BTU value, it's affect on fuel system rubber must be considered.

DevilsG37s 12-25-2015 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 3979415)
A simpler and cheaper solution would be just inject water. While methanol would add to the BTU value, it's affect on fuel system rubber must be considered.

It could badly effect the rubber if the mix contains more than 50/50 Methanol.

Also for an N/A car, the injection amount will be very low compared to FI.

Check this out: HorsePower Explores the "Chemical Intercooler" | HorsePower | PowerBlockTV - Full Episodes

They used the 572 Big Block Chevy engine in the test and they changed the nozzles to smaller ones and also reduced the pump pressure for it to work best in that monster engine. Our engines would definitely need less than that. That's why I would start injecting from the smallest nozzles I can find then work my way up till I find the G spot :biggthumpup:

Enjoy the Video.

DevilsG37s 06-18-2016 03:29 AM

Update:

So I've pulled the trigger and installed the water meth kit by AEM.
And also installed NST pulley kit and the Z1 CAI kit with Apexi filter heads. After all that I got an ecutek e-tune from Sebastian who was very knowledgeable and efficient in tuning the car. It was a great experience dealing with him.

I've also dynoed with the parts installed with and without injecting.

Here are the runs results:

Run 7 without the above parts installed and tuned with different tuner.
Run 8 with everything installed and tuned by Seb but without injecting.
Run 10 with everything installed and tuned by Seb with meth injecting.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...1cedc0417c.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...31b853f937.jpg

The gains are very solid though the whole power band with injecting.

4doorfury 06-18-2016 12:25 PM

Why the change in correction factor for last run? Due to meth? I don't see why it would change.

DevilsG37s 06-18-2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4doorfury (Post 4044769)
Why the change in correction factor for last run? Due to meth? I don't see why it would change.

No change done from me or the shop whatsoever on the runs settings. The last run was in a hotter environment though it was in the same day and time for run 8.

4doorfury 06-18-2016 01:31 PM

The graph clearly states sae 1.01 for first 2 the sae 1.02 for highest whp run.

DevilsG37s 06-18-2016 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4doorfury (Post 4044793)
The graph clearly states sae 1.01 for first 2 the sae 1.02 for highest whp run.

Yup. I can clearly see that but as I told you that there is no change done from our side.

I don't know based on what factors the correction would change but as far as I'm sure of that it hasn't been changed from my side or the tuner's.

4doorfury 06-18-2016 02:11 PM

The correction factor is going to ever so slightly inflate the numbers. I would ask the dyno operator if they could forward you the file with a correction factor of 1.01 for the last run. My guess is you would lose about 3-4whp across the range. Been a while since I have played with correction factors since dialing in my old turbo setup.