Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Gear grind with clutch pedal fully in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Gear grind with clutch pedal fully in.

So my 2013 G37S 6mt is having an issue that occurs like once a month, i would be shifting with the clutch pedal all the way down and i would hear the gears grinding. First time it i was shifting into 4th. Today i was at a full stop, clutched in for almost a minute at the red light and tried to put it into 1st but heard a grind. I don't think the clutch is slipping, so what can it be?

Also currently only at 15k miles, they also adjusted the clutch pedal recently and it seems the catch point is really high. think it more then half way up. Wasn't that high before i brought it in, but it seems to shift a lot smoother with less effort now lol.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
known characteristic of the 6mt clutch pedal. engagement point is high in the sky, but pedal travel lower than the engagement point _really_ ensures that the clutch is completely disengaged.

have you had any grinding after the adjustment?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Splitpi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may need to adjust the clutch travel (perhaps due to pad wear) so that the clutch is fully engaging.

Check page CL-5 of the FSM which is linked in this forum

Could be a busted spring or something on the clutch plate which is causing it to no function properly.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

The first time this occurred was before the clutch pedal adjustment. I got the pedal adjustment when i went in for the 15k maintenance a few days ago. Today was the second time it occurred. As for the travel, it wasn't that high before i got it adjusted. (Or maybe i just feel it is higher because it seems they made the entire pedal higher lol). Someone told me that it may be the slave cylinder.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

No one else has experienced this?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by inspector94
Someone told me that it may be the slave cylinder.
The slave cylinder is known to fail on the G/Z 6MT. That doesn't mean failure is eminent, just that it's a known problem. According to my dealership, mine is the only G/Z 6MT that the Service Manager could recall ever having to replace. As for replacement... parts are only a few hundred dollars, but labor is a one or two day affair, because to replace the CSC on these cars, you have to lower the transmission. If I weren't under warranty, it would have been $1500.

Mine failed at 18K, as did a few other 6MT members here in that same general (low) mileage. In my case, there was no notice whatsoever that it was going to happen. Over the course of 30 seconds, the clutch pedal just got lower and weaker, and then completely fell to the floor. It was a very unnerving experience. Take that in for what it's worth to you, but I never experienced any grinding, so IDK if the CSC is the culprit. Sounds more like a transmission issue in the syncros between whichever gears are problematic. Don't quote me, but I think as a warranty repair like that, Nissan would simply swap in a whole new transmission.

As for engagement point on the clutch pedal... the OEM pedal is just awful. But there is a superior alternative:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-assembly.html

Last edited by Rochester; 09-08-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I've never experienced gear grinding with the clutch fully depressed, but I also dont fully depress the clutch. Ive also always been under the impression that sitting with the clutch in was bad for the throw out bearing

To Rochester's point, the CSC is a know weak link, but it's probably overblown by the higher % of 6MT guys on the forums. The 370Z guys seem to think fresh fluid/bleeding the clutch is worthwhile preventative maintenance
Old 09-08-2015, 12:34 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Yea, i told the dealer about the grinding but they said they couldn't replicate it so they couldn't do anything. It might be the syncros, going into third most the time i get a thud on the shifter.

I usually don't hold the clutch in, but i though it was going to turn green when the turn signal came on instead so i just held it in.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a similiar problem and had the transmission replaced on the car at 7500 miles...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ssion-and.html