Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Major problem on my sedan

Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Halo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Major problem on my sedan

So last july I bought a 2009 G37x sedan with like 90k miles. I will not even go into the details of how shady this dealership was. I will say it was a huge mistake and wish I would have just walked away. I could tell the car was not in "great" condition but seemed decent and the price was okay, but it only had a one month warranty.

So anyway the service light came on like a month ago, and then a day later it started blinking while I was driving. The steering wheel would vibrate violently and it ran really rough going to and from work. So I bought a cheap code reader and it gave like a P300 and P301 I think. I then let it sit for a month in my garage(have another vehicle) until today I took it to a Nissan Dealership to be looked at. Long story short guy tells me I need a new motor!!! Something like the cat converter debris is in the engine n there all all these major problems with the motor.

I have a loan on this vehicle and no way do I have money to do a engine swap, nor would i want to. Not to mention I do not want to pay over 4 more years on a car that does not run. The service guy said I can not purchase a warranty because someone would have to come reinspect it. So I would appreciate any advice on what options I have. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Ouch. I can't think of any options other than a swap.

There's an engine in.., Nashville I think for 2k
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Did you pay for the diagnose? If so take a picture of the work order see what they say exactly. Not sure why steering wheel will shake from a bad motor.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Halo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Ouch. I can't think of any options other than a swap.

There's an engine in.., Nashville I think for 2k
Thanks for the response. I just texted my brother and told him the situation. He basically just told me the same thing about an engine swap. He has a Lancer Evo and a Ralliart and has had a lot of work done at some semi-local shop for a few years. He is going to call him and see what he says. I was hoping there was a way to get rid of the car and loan but it looks like I stuck with it.

What stinks is this is my first G and I love the car, but I just wish I would have spent the few extra grand for a newer model with lower miles and a warranty.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Halo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
Did you pay for the diagnose? If so take a picture of the work order see what they say exactly. Not sure why steering wheel will shake from a bad motor.
They still have my car, they called me at home and told me the news. I did not pay yet. He told me it is going to be $98 for the diagnostic exam. I will take a pic tomorrow morning when I get the car. But yeah the steering wheel would shake back and forth fast and hard while driving. Thanks for advice.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
This is a possible scenario and what most likely happened was your cat converters were clogged and created high back pressure. This can cause valve overlap which can also create vacuum in the exhaust manifold.

I wouldn't take what your brother said with a grain of salt. The Lancer engine is quite frankly a POS and anything can go wrong on those things. Any change you have a reputable repair shop in your area? Where are you located?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Halo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
This is a possible scenario and what most likely happened was your cat converters were clogged and created high back pressure. This can cause valve overlap which can also create vacuum in the exhaust manifold.

I wouldn't take what your brother said with a grain of salt. The Lancer engine is quite frankly a POS and anything can go wrong on those things. Any change you have a reputable repair shop in your area? Where are you located?
I am located near Reading Pennsylvania. To be honest I really do not know who or what shop to take it to. I mean we have a mechanic that does our inspections and minor work, but I am not sure I would trust him to do an engine swap on an Infiniti. I just think those are not the type of cars he usually gets. I got burned like ten years ago when I let my buddy swap out my 1991 eclipse gsx motor for a new one. It lasted like a month til the brand new motor seized. He did something wrong and i lost thousands of dollars in the process. I am scared to ask what an Infiniti dealer would charge. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I'm more so asking for you to fine another reliable independent shop to diagnose the same "you need a new engine" issue. That's almost as unbelievable as me sitting at firestone with my girlfriend at the time, and watching some unknowing blonde walk in and say her 2012 Lexus RX needs a new engine.

What I'm saying is make sure you verify this from multiple angles before you start making moves. If you do end up needing a new engine, shoot me a PM. I might have a source for you.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Halo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'm more so asking for you to fine another reliable independent shop to diagnose the same "you need a new engine" issue. That's almost as unbelievable as me sitting at firestone with my girlfriend at the time, and watching some unknowing blonde walk in and say her 2012 Lexus RX needs a new engine.

What I'm saying is make sure you verify this from multiple angles before you start making moves. If you do end up needing a new engine, shoot me a PM. I might have a source for you.
Thanks so much. I will do that. This is a big Nissan dealer so I just figured they would know what they are doing, and I am just going off they told me on the phone today. I will find out more tomorrow when I pick it up and ask more questions. I definitely will find another source to look it over.

Thanks for all the responses. I truly appreciate it. I will check back later tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Good luck I hope you find a solution...............I have the same yr and model approching 48K.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Necessity is the mother of ingenuity. Just drop an LS1 into it! /s

In all seriousness though, that sucks. Hopefully you can find a solution to your problem.
Maybe you could just have the engine rebuilt? I'm not sure how far gone it is.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
P0300 is a random misfire code and P0301 is a misfire code for cylinder 1. If those are the correct codes they are very common and typically it's a coil pack. You could buy one coil pack and play swap a coil until you find the bad one. Start with cylinder 1. Install the new coil reset the code with your code scanner and start her up and see how the engine behaves. Did the Nissan dealer tell you what codes they found? If so post them here. If not call them and get them. They could be a shady dealership preying on your lack of knowledge.
twin_snails (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
^^^ completely agree. Just because they are big dealership doesn't mean they don't pull a fast one. Just like car sales they have quotas and goals to meet. When it is something that major you should always get second opinion.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Why not just swap a coil pack from a different cylinder to see if the misfire moves? Aren't the coil packs part numbers the same for each cylinder?
twin_snails (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Why not just swap a coil pack from a different cylinder to see if the misfire moves? Aren't the coil packs part numbers the same for each cylinder?
Great idea on this notion. OP give it a try or have a shop give it a try... Could help solve some issues...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major problem on my sedan