Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Valve Train Noise Cured? New Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 PM
HelloNewman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve Train Noise Cured? New Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

My 2010 G37 Sedan has over 120,000 miles on it. The engine runs like new, but has had noticeable valve train noise for a couple of years. I read all about it, here and elsewhere, and continued using the old Pennzoil Platinum (PP) synthetic because the noise was just a nuisance, not damaging. I also had a bit of a rattle or vibration develop from the passenger side engine compartment.
Of course it got to be time for new plugs, so I did the plugs and air intake filters, throttle bodies and MAFs all at once. That seemed to cure the rattle but not the diesel-like valve train noise.
Next I changed oil, tried the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with Pureplus. And Viola! Valve train noise gone or so much better it just doesn't bother me at all. I have about 4500 miles on this oil since change.
I hate to start an oil thread! lol and hee hee. I'm an M.E. but no mechanic. Not an employee of Pennzoil, nothing in it for me. Keep in mind that Pennzoil may cause dizziness, dry mouth or death. As always if your erection lasts for more than 5 hours, consult your physician.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Mongolian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used the same oil on my commuter (Mazda 3) for fun. The first thing I noticed with the oil was that it was almost water like so I was a bit hesitant, but I think it moves around better in colder temp. I've used the 5W20 blend. Is the 5W30 blended for the G just as thin in appearance? I will try to run this on my G next time.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 PM
HelloNewman

I almost always do my own oil changes, but this time I took the easy way out and had it done at 5-Minute Oil Change with my filter and oil. So I haven't noticed anything about oil viscosity or consistency. I use 5W-30 down here in New Orleans. I've been checking Oil Forums, but the oil is new on the market, and I'm not seeing much yet on used oil analysis. Once we get some data on this oil in the VQ engine, I'll be sold. Also, there is the new version of Pennzoil Platinum (without the Ultra). No idea if that will run quiet or not. I'm going to run the PP Ultra for a while, and maybe submit a sample of my own to Blackstone later.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Is this any different than the Penzoil Ultra that many of us have already been using for a long time or is it the same oil in new packaging?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 AM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Interesting. Also wondering if this is just marketing hype, or if this is a better oil.

Never really got into Royal Purple or Amsoil, because I just stuck with Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. (easier and cheaper, similar level of protection)

But if this proves to be better......
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM
HelloNewman

I've used the old Pennzoil Ultra in this G as well, and believe that is an excellent synthetic. However this is a new Pennzoil with a different base synthetic stock somehow made from natural gas using a process called GTL Gas to Liquid. I'm pretty sure they are going to phase out the old Pennz Platinum and Ultra over time. Here's Pennzoil's propoganda film and another article on GTL. Oil Geeks are writing about this left and right. I think many are waiting to see if it tests out as well as PP and PU.

Shell GTL Technology Converting Gas to Motor Oils | 2014-03-07 | Natural Gas Intelligence