Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Z1motorsports 400 hp package

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Just remote tune with someone like Seb at SpecialtyZ. He can take your mods into account. I'm sure he's seen or tuned for every single mod available for the VQ platform and then some.

+1, Seb gets universal praise on his tunes. In the auto world, it is hard to find someone whose work is not criticized by someone.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
All you're getting is a generic tune for your mods. It could be worse or maybe just a slight bit better without that tune. Unless you do a custom tune you really don't know what your A/F ratio is..
Who did the tune and what software did they use to tune it?

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
No good tuners in the area and they have a tune specific to the mods on my car. The tune probably made the biggest difference out of all the performance mods I have done to the car so far.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
All you're getting is a generic tune for your mods. It could be worse or maybe just a slight bit better without that tune. Unless you do a custom tune you really don't know what your A/F ratio is..
He said he's sending the ECU in to Z1 for a tune. I just don't see the need to rip the ECU out of the car, mail it in, risking damage, have them open the case and install their ROM, zip it up and send it back. That seems very 1998.

You'll get a far better tune through Seb remotely using EcuTek than you will with a canned tune. Each car is different. Honestly, I'd do a remote tune through UpRev now that they have updates and you'll be able to do the final tweaking yourself. Can't do that with EcuTek (also very 1998).
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Better off remote tuning with Z1 or Seb. Or even E Tune if you want too.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Just remote tune with someone like Seb at SpecialtyZ. He can take your mods into account. I'm sure he's seen or tuned for every single mod available for the VQ platform and then some.
Z1 took into account the exact mods on my car when they did the tune.

Originally Posted by chuckie311
Tune was done by Z1 as part of their 400hp package. The tune made the biggest difference out of all of the mods.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

You're missing the point. They didn't have your car on the dyno to tune it did they. I'm assuming, going by what you wrote earlier that they supplied a canned tune to cover the parts installed in their kit. If they're smart, and I know they are, there's a nice fudge factor built into that tune to take engine variables into account. Every engine is different and while I'm sure the tune is in ballpark territory, it's still not going to be optimized like tuning remotely. Theoretically, you could be leaving a great deal of response and even area under the curve on the table.

So let's take Specialty Z and Seb for instance. He tuned my car. He can send you a canned tune as I'm sure he has one for just about every combination of mods to ever have been used on this platform. It's still not going to be optimized like it would be if you logged via ECUTek and sent him those logs to make changes. He works his way up to that optimal but safe tune and it's a far cry better from the canned tune that gets sent out initially. It'd be the same with the Z1 canned tune.

But..it's your car/money and if you're happy with it that's all that matters!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You're missing the point. They didn't have your car on the dyno to tune it did they. I'm assuming, going by what you wrote earlier that they supplied a canned tune to cover the parts installed in their kit. If they're smart, and I know they are, there's a nice fudge factor built into that tune to take engine variables into account. Every engine is different and while I'm sure the tune is in ballpark territory, it's still not going to be optimized like tuning remotely. Theoretically, you could be leaving a great deal of response and even area under the curve on the table.

So let's take Specialty Z and Seb for instance. He tuned my car. He can send you a canned tune as I'm sure he has one for just about every combination of mods to ever have been used on this platform. It's still not going to be optimized like it would be if you logged via ECUTek and sent him those logs to make changes. He works his way up to that optimal but safe tune and it's a far cry better from the canned tune that gets sent out initially. It'd be the same with the Z1 canned tune.

But..it's your car/money and if you're happy with it that's all that matters!
No, I get your point. But you are missing the point that this tune is specific to these mods on this car. Very similar to what Cobb tuning does for their staged Accessport tunes which are used by virtually every tuner out there.

I get that I could have driven a few states over to get a specific dyno tune to eek out maybe a touch more power at the cost of reliability, but it is not worth it for me. A car with 400hp is nothing to brag about. If I were trying to hit 1,500hp on a dyno queen, then I would go that route. I would much rather have a good reliable car that I can track regularly with a little safety built in.

I have tracked with many guys with custom dyno tunes and they are usually the guys with the problems that have to quit early because their custom tunes were too close to the ragged edge. No thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:27 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Dyno Tune>Remote Tune>E Tune>No Tune. Enough said.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Teckminded76
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is Seb?... I always looked into the Z1 kit but then I am skeptical, does it push 400 HP (not wheel) after blah blah (exhaust, Intake, tune and if so what tune)?I made the mistake of getting gen 2's as a starter for intake for the NA build. I really want to know who has this kit and what tune they use to achieve the 400 hp. What up !! Also if you are in New Jersey area and want to cruise hollaaa!!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Sebastian, one of the guys who runs SpecialtyZ. This is a bit Captain Obvious but they specialize in the G/Z platform and Seb is also their lead tuner I believe. He tunes using ECUTek.

www.specialtyz.com