Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7AT solutions or mods for faster, firmer shifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
11SAPG37

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
7AT solutions or mods for faster, firmer shifts

Before I start: I have been reading for hours about this and I did multiple searches but I am still left scratching my head.

I am looking for a modification (whatever it may be) to increase the shift speed of the 7AT. I'd like it to shift similar to that of the ZF 8 speed trans which is almost dual clutch quick, if at all possible.

I've read about UpRev, which I honestly don't understand a thing of... is it a tune, is it a cable, is it a license, is it a jet plane, I don't know. I've also read about the GTM Valve body kit which seems interesting and apparently it has worked for a lot of people.

My question is, what can be done (every possible option) to make this terrible terrible 7AT more responsive and shift faster and firmer. Every time my car shifts gears I get a nudge, almost like its gliding into the next gear. I don't like it. I've gotten the TCU update, I've complained to my dealer countless times, I've reset the ECU but nothing has helped.

I'm sure the 7AT has the potential to be a great gearbox with some modifications, so please, enlighten me.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Butternut

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thankfully I don't appear to have this problem with my 2010 xS, but here is how I've been driving mine, and my 7AT seems more responsive now than when I received it about 10K miles ago:

Most of the time I pretty much drive it like I used to drive my full sized SUV - no aggressiveness or craziness - but about once or so a week, on my way home from work late at night, if it seems safe, I punch it a few times while I am already at highway speeds to make it downshift and take off. Then each weekend, I find the time and space to take off from a complete standstill and force it redline as much as possible without using the paddles. So far this seems to keep mine really responsive when I need it to be.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Butternut
Thankfully I don't appear to have this problem with my 2010 xS, but here is how I've been driving mine, and my 7AT seems more responsive now than when I received it about 10K miles ago:

Most of the time I pretty much drive it like I used to drive my full sized SUV - no aggressiveness or craziness - but about once or so a week, on my way home from work late at night, if it seems safe, I punch it a few times while I am already at highway speeds to make it downshift and take off. Then each weekend, I find the time and space to take off from a complete standstill and force it redline as much as possible without using the paddles. So far this seems to keep mine really responsive when I need it to be.
im sure it could be faster.
interested on this thread
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Di3s3l_power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have to shift on medium / high (+3,800) rpm and throttle in manual mode. the harder you press the gas pedal the faster it will shift. is like the shift speed is progressive with the engine rpm and throttle input.

my old e46 m3 smg was the same thing, even after setting in S6
Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
From all the reading I have done on this subject, the Gtm valve body upgrade is the only way to get your desired results. Uprev is a tune, your tuner can adjust the line pressure in the trans to slightly crisp up the shifting but it doesn't eliminate the lag. I would like to someday get the valve body upgrade but it's about 2k and your car will be out of commission for a few days.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Transgo VB.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 AM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't think trans go makes a kit for the 7at. I definantly could be wrong tho, but last I read there was no 7at kit.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
7AT kit is made by GTM and has great results by everyone that has installed it. This will be one of my next enhancements for sure!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
From all the reading I have done on this subject, the Gtm valve body upgrade is the only way to get your desired results. Uprev is a tune, your tuner can adjust the line pressure in the trans to slightly crisp up the shifting but it doesn't eliminate the lag. I would like to someday get the valve body upgrade but it's about 2k and your car will be out of commission for a few days.
Who quoted you 2 grand?! You're getting screwed. They send you instructions on how to remove it, and how to put it back. You just send them the core.

GTM Motorsports AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GTM Valvebody Upgrade for 7 speed A/T

It's <900 dollars.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, I've got a 2012 G37 Sedan Sport RWD 7AT. I kind of hate the 7AT.

1. Shifts at ~40% throttle and greater are nice and crisp (could be a bit smoother), but it cracks them off nicely. I'm talking about shifts that happen at 3,500 and above.

2. Moderate driving ****s...too sluggish, seems to have some driveline shock (its the stupid variable locking TC), and it shifts too late. I know this sounds counter intutitve to what most think on the board but If I give it say 30%....it winds out too much, like to 3k, then shfits. The result is a fall off in power then a surge as it shifts to the next gear. Ideally the shifts should happen sooner (like they do in the updated 7AT of the Q50).

3. Sometimes if I drive really nice from a stop, I can can cruise around in 5/6/7 at a steady 30mph. This great for city driving and higher mpg. Other times, if make a turn as acceleration (think nicely turning from a 4 way stop) or hit some bumps it will lock in 4th gear...at say 1900 rpm's at 30 mph. Even with taking your foot off the gas or just slight pressure to maintain 30mph...she stays in 4th. Annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Nkamp15 (01-07-2020)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by Di3s3l_power
you have to shift on medium / high (+3,800) rpm and throttle in manual mode. the harder you press the gas pedal the faster it will shift. is like the shift speed is progressive with the engine rpm and throttle input.

my old e46 m3 smg was the same thing, even after setting in S6
I do this sometimes but It still isn't as crisp and snappy as I'd like. Plus I don't want to drive in manual mode all of the time. I don't have paddles. Additionally when I do use manual mode the trans doesn't respond quick enough to make it fun.

How quick can our 7AT be? Is the VB mod night and day? Will it be similar to the ZF 8 speed in a lot of German cars. The lag and it's inability to pick a gear based on throttle input is very aggravating at times. It getting worse as the miles build up too.

Anyone know of a video example of the VB mod for the 7AT?

What else would be cool too, is if somehow we can implement the exhaust burp, blip, fart or whatever they call it that the VW/Audi DSG and quick shifting autos do. What causes that burp when shifting? I originally thought it was just due to the quickness of the trans but I hear it has nothing to do with it. Possible fuel cut while shifting? There is something called the WOT box that cuts ignition time when shifting but I think it's only for M/T cars. If this is possible I WANT IT. Imagine the sound of our VQ's with a DCT like shifts and shift burp.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM
11SAPG37

Check this out --

It's a GTM Stage 4 7AT. It shifts like a dual clutch. I like!!

The question is how much $$
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SAPG37
Check this out --

It's a GTM Stage 4 7AT. It shifts like a dual clutch. I like!!

The question is how much $$
here it is:

GTM Motorsports AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GTM Stage 4 Transmission Upgrade
Old 11-14-2013, 04:28 PM
11SAPG37

Just found it. 7k to rebuild a transmission is ridiculous. I am sure it is hard work, but common now. The dealer probably doesn't even charge that amount for a brand new 7AT installed!

I can dream.

Moving on... So is a valve body the best option for what I am looking for? If so which one?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
esesnipey94
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I the only one who has chirped my tires going into 2nd sometimes 3rd in my 7at? I know its no DCT but it shifts pretty fast, sometimes annoyingly fast when I'm trying to drive smooth around town and it slams into the next gear.

Maybe since I have restarted the ecu a couple times, doing minor mods, it has helped. I do a spirited drive at least once a day whether its all out from light to light or 50% throttle to the speed limit.

I do believe its how you usually drive your car but the responsiveness people talk about is not necessarily the speed of the transmission but more a software issue. I do experience taking corners at a low speed in regular mode then sort of punching out of the corner the trans stays in, say 4th, and even if you press the pedal 70% it will stay in 4th but rev til redline if you keep the pedal down.

If the software/tune would react better to the throttle input, then we would have a real DCT competitor on our hands. Just my 2 cents aha
The following users liked this post:
Dbray2316 (01-01-2023)

Quick Reply: 7AT solutions or mods for faster, firmer shifts