Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7AT solutions or mods for faster, firmer shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You don't really understand the issue here. It's not forcing the trans to shift, it's the slow, soft shift that draws complaints. Two methods of improvement have surfaced in the five years this thread laid dormant: a tune and a Level10 Bulletproof Valvebody. They both cost about the same. Level10 includes an Uprev tune in that price, so it's the more cost-effective but you have to be able to get to New Jersay for them to do all the work.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 PM
Gcoupe37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Travivelli
I know this thread is old. But guys, all you need to do is let off of the throttle around the same time you shift then get back on. You will feel the gears engaging. It’s like burning the clutch on a 6mt. All you’re doing is power shifting when holding on the throttle.
I'm gonna revive the thread too so don't feel bad. You might be right I an extent. Today was the first time my 2010 G37x felt really responsive and light. BTW I just got a 2010 with onky 50k on it a month ago. One owner. Serviced at infiniti it's entire life. And in the last year or so of his ownership he really went all out. They changed front and rear differential fluids out. Flushed Tranny oil. Serviced rear dif. New tires. Thermo. Etc etc. Basically The works at 41 and 42k. Anyway, all highway miles, no accidents. Black on black. Engine looks brand new. So there's my intro. Haha.

[Inadvisable street driving behavior deleted. Please don't write more of it. Mod]

I got a feel for this thing. First of all 0-20 was quick today and idk why. So that's something I can't explain. Just went to 20 quicker and felt lighter. Anyway, right at 20 I let a tiny bit of pressure off, A HAIR, and then pushed down a little, all almost instantaneously, and it was rocketing to 40 with me barley pushing the peddle down. I'd let go and hold that feel and do it over and over. From dead stops. From 20. From 40 and a up a fee times. [mod deletes more of the same] I was using veey little pressure. I couldn't believe it. It was like I was in the pocket the entire drive on this road. AND THIS WAS IN D. Not DS.

The only things I changed a few days ago was put a half of tank of 93 instead of 91 in, I changed to Redline 5w30 too. I then did an ECU reset and throttle and pedel relearn for the 5th time too after all that. Then this..

I drove it hard as **** 3 nights in a row back and forth down a main road doing 0-60s, 60-80s. I wasn't pushing it all the way down, but was doing 40%,70%,70% 100% pressure on the peddle as it wss shifting. Then I'd do peddle to the ground. Then I use DS mode and do the same thing. And then two hard runs in M mode shifting early. Idk if these 3 things helped me or what but I'm telling you it's a different car for the first time since I owned it.And I just did another run tonight for good measure. I donr want to run it that hard over and over each night, so I'm gonna see how it feels in a couple days with some shorter night runs too. I'll let you know.

But like I said. I was accelerating slightly differently. It's like I meshed with the car finnaly and understood it. Now idk if it's more responsive so that's why it's reacting, or it's reacting because of how I'm letting it shift but I do think part of it is how I have a feel for it. I'd was faster then manual mode today all the way through. No doubt at all.

Now when I went to push the pedal down without giving it any room to breath, not stomping just not pulling up a hair, it wasn't nearly as responsive. Not from 0 and definitely not from 20/25-40. It didn't zip out. It would bog a little. The way I was driving made me love this Tranny. It wss shifting so dam smooth and accelerating faster each time like a miny rocket. [mod deletes even more]

A week ago I did do more work.I changed the air filters to AfEs, cleaned the throttle bodies, sensors, z1 maf silicone intake tubes, etc . That made a difference too and the car hasn't been too sluggish. Just not zippy or responsive. After the new things, it's a different car and I couldn't be happier.. I'm hoping it lasts. I'm not lying when I say that almost all of yiu would be happy how this felt today. Little pressure and it's flying. Zippy and responsive. Not jumping. But light and smooth. Idk guys. We'll see.

I didn't miss anything from before the update besides a little aggressiveness. Today this zippy feeling made me forget all about it. I really don't get it 100% yet, but I haven't felt a stock G37 so light on its feet before. I was pissed like others were until TODAY. Just yesterday I was researching tunes like no ones business. Today I was smiling ear to ear. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Gcoupe37x; 06-23-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

You apparently have not done a lot of reading on the issue. An ECU reset wipes away the learned behavior of the transmission. Pressing hard on the loud pedal teaches the trans you like to drive hard and it won't soften up the shift schedule.

Even still, the 7AT isn't a performance transmission. It sucks on a road course. Even with extra cooling and manual shifting.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 AM
Gcoupe37x

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
You apparently have not done a lot of reading on the issue. An ECU reset wipes away the learned behavior of the transmission. Pressing hard on the loud pedal teaches the trans you like to drive hard and it won't soften up the shift schedule.

Even still, the 7AT isn't a performance transmission. It sucks on a road course. Even with extra cooling and manual shifting.

Can't believe you said that considering I've almost lost my mind researching at this point. Gave me a laugh thinking about it . Ive done plenty of reading. Non stop actually. Every single day since I got the car. Every forum. Every post. I'm OCD, like I'm sure most on here are. I understand what it does. Why would I be resetting it if I didn't know it relearns your habits? And I've done the ECU reset 5+ times, and it's NEVER, EVER felt like this afterwards. Not right after. Not 3 days after. Not a week after. This is the first time it's felt like this. If it wasn't significant. Or I felt it was just the ECU feeling of resetting and relearning, I wouldn't have posted. And yes I know extra cooling doesn't change it significantly. We already basically have a CAI, which is why I just went with more linear post MAF tubes and better air filters.

Also I wasn't just pressing hard. I wss pretty descriptive in what was doing. And like I said. I feel it was only part of tbe equation. And I was actually trying to make a point to alot of people that don't get response whether flooring it or trying to ease it.

And as for it sucking on a road course, I didn't really ask if you thought it sucked on a road course. Today it performed better then I've ever seen or perform and I many would be happy. I've pushed it before after resets btw. I've tried everything under the sun. This was a Tranny that I liked alot today. And I ABSOLUTELY never thought I'd say that. Not content. LIKED Alot. In 90+ degree heat no less.

I was stating my experience today after 5+ resets. Probably more then 8 of them. And trying everything under the sun, and then some before this. Including other resets. I only did it this time for good measure Honeslty.

I felt a need to post this because it was different. I don't expect some to think it wss significant. I'm new here and everyone has heard everything I'm sure. But this was something else for me.

Changed to 93. Changed to Redline. Pushed it harder in a different manner the before every night. Not just a run here and there. And more importantly, I was accelerating differently. Like I said it was like I found the pocket. I had the tip of my foot on the pedal and wasn't giving it much. Just feeling it. And that was key for me. And it's a small area where it just would take off without feeling the shift, or hesitation. That's all I know and I wanted to let others know my experience.

I don't post things unless something worth while and dramatic took place. I just want you to know that. I'll keep you posted if it lasts. Which is the most important thing. As you know, alot of the time, they revert.

If it stays like this, then it absolutely has enough performance for me as a Tranny, especially considering everything else this car brings. And the fact I'm estactic with the condition and how it wss taken care of. Nothing sucked about this car today. It would be the reason I thought it was the total package to begin with. I didn't buy it for the track but on the road, in this state, it's definitely no lagging cruising car. I couldn't believe it wss the same car. It felt almost more significant then after getting the update. Let's put it that way. Anyway, take care of yourself. I'll let ya know either way.

Last edited by Gcoupe37x; 06-23-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gcoupe37x
Can't believe you said that considering I've almost lost my mind researching at this point. Gave me a laugh thinking about it . Ive done plenty of reading. Can't believe you said that considering I've almost lost my mind researching at this point. Gave me a laugh thinking about it.
The conclusion you drew is what led to my statement. It indicated a lack of reading to me. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Gcoupe37x
Also, I wasn't just pressing hard. I was pretty descriptive in what was doing. And like I said. I feel it was only part of the equation. And I was actually trying to make a point to a lot of people that don't get response whether flooring it or trying to ease it.

And as for it sucking on a road course, I didn't really ask if you thought it sucked on a road course.
Too bad, I offered. If my extreme use of the transmission didn't change the sucky behavior, I have no earthly idea what could have made yours suddenly behave so much better other than the many resets. You don't really offer an explanation, either, just the steps you took before the sudden change, none of which can be singled out as the causal factor.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Gcoupe37x

I'm happy to report it's still responsive and I have no idea why. I run it hard at night. I've already explained my other changes which were small. I honestly could not be happier and I have no effng clue how this is the same car. I was legit miserable for a awhile. I had one weird day of hard downshifting like the old times which was odd. But besides that, it's been great. I push the pedal about 1/4-1/3 of the way down to 20-25,then let up a hair and just push it again. But not hard. Just slightly harder and it responds. And it doenst have to be 0-25-40 etc. It changed across the board.

Here's another example was doing 40 today and had to slow down because some Jacko tried to cut across eneyone instead of waiting for the signal. Instead of keeping going, he stops on the middle of the road. To get away from this mess and hit it and I literally got thrown into the seat as it went. No hesitation.

Even my buddy at work was like wtf happened go this car? I give him a ride home everyday a few blocks, and he's been out for a week. He was back today. We get in, let it warm up a little, and we go. I frigging tap the pedal and it threw us back. I was like wtf! He loved it and thought I had work done. It just zipped away. Smooth and fast. I

I actually feel fast in this car now. I donr feel like some car is gonna come up and make me look dumb waiting at a red, ready to when accelerate nowhere.

I'm not lying at all btw or exaggerating
I'm not a child. I'm 37 years old and have absolutely no reason to lie or embellish. I wasn't happy for the first month and a half or so that I had my g37. The Tranny was driving me crazy. I couldn't believe with this engine and how nice the car is they did that to the Tranny. I was searching day and night for fixes. Idk if it's a combo of the small things, the redline, the 93 and me pushing it once and night? But I'm not changing a DAM THING now. And remember this is in 90+ degree heat. It wouldn't even move in hot weather before. I'm dying for tbe frigging fall now to see how she goes.

I know one thing, you cannot push this pedal when taking off more then half at most. Or it will slow down. It's a strange thing. It's like a 1/3 push and it just zips, let off a hair, and down again. Smooth and gone. You hit it hard, not gonna happen. It doesn't react well to that. Until high 2nd range.

Not only have I learned how to accelerate with it, but it HAS CHANGED alot. I'm frigging ecstatic. I was ready to just live with the crap Tranny. Well not the Tranny itself but how it's been programmed, etc.

BTW I'm not sure what update I have. It was done by a small, independently owned, dealershipp that sells Nissans and infinitis and they had the software. They said yep, we update the Nissans all the time, and we have it. After it was updated a month and a half ago it reved higher before shifting and was smoother and no slingshot feel. So good.

But it still felt weak in 1-2 gear especially. Idk, now I'm happy. I've reset this ecu a bunch of times and it never did anything. The nett day or so it would be back to bleh.

Anyway I said I would update you and I have. I'm gonna do the rotors and pads this week. Maybe get the brake fluid flushed next week. I don't think he's ever changed the rotors. No biggy. But they're pretty rusted being on new jersey all this time and they're ready.

Really all I want after this is drop the front an inch, maybe to do the exhaust, and a tune. Right now though, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. And I really thought I effed up. I'll see if anything changes in the next month or so. Take care guys.

Last edited by Gcoupe37x; 06-26-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Gcoupe37x

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
The conclusion you drew is what led to my statement. It indicated a lack of reading to me. Sorry.

Too bad, I offered. If my extreme use of the transmission didn't change the sucky behavior, I have no earthly idea what could have made yours suddenly behave so much better other than the many resets. You don't really offer an explanation, either, just the steps you took before the sudden change, none of which can be singled out as the causal factor.

Yeah if it didn't work for you, won't work for anyone. Cool. And what did you offer exactly? I must have missed the post. Let me know.

Listen man. Idk if you think I'm some crazy nut job that just likes trolling frigging infiniti g37 forums for kicks, or a liar. But I can't change your mind and I'm not here to. I'm a grown man, that has been looking for a solution since I bought the dam car. I'M OCD to the max so I am not easily pleased or placebod.

I'm here to report what has now happened to my g37. I have no idea why its acting like this. Especially in 90+ degree heat. I've stated that multiple times but apparently being honest, makes me more of a liar in your eyes? Take it or leave it. Idc. I have nothing but respect fo a ton of people on here. Ive been reading old and new posts like a freak trying to figure out what to do. So I tried little things. The afe air filters. The post MAF intake hoses. The redline. The 93 octane. And then I reset my car for the 6th or 7th time and started pushing it hard once a night. Mostly on Drive. The DS. And the Manual for a min or so. And idk. It woke up one day, went to work, and then on the way home from work, it was different. And has been ever since.

BTW, these experiences I'm having are all in drive. I donr even need to use DS anymore. That's how happy I am with it.. You want to what? Take that away from me and call me a lair now? Gotcha. Nice welcome btw to tbe forum and g37 owners club. You take care of yourself. It's a dam shame that someone can't share something postive with literally the only other people that understand how happy he'd be, Infiniti g37 owners. I tried explaining it to my wife last night and she's like u huh. Lol. Anyway yeah. So is what it is I guess.

And how did my conclusion indicate a lack of reading? Because it wasn't the conclusion you had? Buddy you have some issues. You're one of those guys that just doesn't believe anyone u guess unless it happens to him. Maybe my update wasn't the newest one. And that combined with everything I've done, has helped it. Maybe I run it differently at night then you and it's just enough to get my Tranny responsive. Maybe my g37 is just slightly different then yours and was run differently it's entire life. Who tbe hell knows.

But you need to step down off that high horse. No reason to act like that. How old are you exactly?

With that being said, there is no way in hell that I am the only g37 owner that has a responsive Tranny. It's impossible. I'm not special, nor is my car. And I'd never say that I was. And anyone thinking that would be certifiable. All I know is mine, the one I own, is dam responsive. After first feeling underpowered and then feeling like a slug. To now feeling like a lighter quick car.

BTW, as I said, punch it off the line to the ground. You'll feel like a slug too. As will I. It's not fine not matter what. So don't confuse what I've been saying with that. There's a feel to accelerating with this car. The issue isn't just the software and the Tranny just so you know. It's the throttle behavior and peddle. There's more to this then our peak torque being higher up in the rpm range. And there's definitely a feel to this pedal.

And the changes I've made to the car, how I drive it at night, and how I hit the pedal during normal days have all made the difference. If the issues come back, I'll be the first one on here to report it. As all I'm trying to do is share my experience, because I'm happy, and help as much as I can.

Last edited by Gcoupe37x; 06-26-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:36 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Not sure why you are getting defensive. A member who regularly tracks his car, which puts the transmission through more stress and demand than a few hard pulls would ever do, stated what your describing is an anomaly...which it is.

The remedies you stated have been done by others to no prevail so it doesn't make sense your transmission would behave the way you describe but hey, maybe you got a factory freak. The only remedies I've ever heard of working is either a throttle controller or a tune.

Anyways, it's great you were able to get the car to behave the way you want. Hoping a tune does the same for me. I've done everything from driveline / fluid swaps to grounding kits and have not experienced the throttle responsiveness you described; if anything, removing the grounding kit magnified the lag. The only thing that remotely helps is either shifting myself or putting the car is 'DS'.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:48 AM
lndrover

Lightbulb Idle Relearn and Dealer TCM Update Did it for ME ! !

I'm not going into a full dissertation about my G37, I've owned over 20 used cars in my lifetime and all purchased with 80K or more. With that being said, a few things I always perform, spark plugs, ignition coil, transmission change (RedLine). Common filters, hoses and occasionally radiator just to name a few. Now as for as the throttle lag, many have modified with throttle controller devices and other mods/tunes. I met a mechanic that has the exact same vehicle as my 2011 G37 S, he worked for the Infiniti dealership. We talked about the common things that would effect my performance, correct spark plugs, aftermarket ignition coils etc. After cancelling those issues out, He advised to have a idle relearn completed (especially if you've changed the battery) and have the vehicle checked for the latest TCM update. I had the transmission checked and had them to reprogram with the udpate/flash at the dealer. Solved all my issues, My wife has a 2014 Q50 S and prior to this update, her vehicle response was night and day compared to mine. I now have the same response and quickness to include slow down and take off in moderate traffic situations, car would downshift with a jerk. Especially when going from a slow down to 40-50 then would jerk when pressing back down occasionally. This update along with pedal relearn has my car driving totally different, even at 40-50 mph (lag zone), my slight punch gets me to 85 and higher in a blink. Cost was $145.00 Nalley Inifinti Atlanta..6/2020.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:48 PM
comperr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 11SAPG37
It's definitely a quick shifting automatic if you redline it into the next gear. Not denying that. Like you said though if you decelerate then press the pedal 70% it will stay in 4th but rev til redline. I hate that. If I slow down to about 35-40 mph taking a turn I don't want to rev the car to the moon just to get some speed. Maybe some people like the lazy glide like first to second shifts during normal driving but It really bugs me. Maybe it's just my car but during every shift I get an annoying push-forward like jolt. If my car is going to behave in that manner I'd rather have a neck snapping instantaneous shift. I think if our cars were to shift sooner and a lot more firm/crisp and quick it would dramatically improve the feel of the car.

But yes, I can chirp the tires from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. I'd like it if the trans were to shift that fast all the time, not just during hard acceleration like the ZF built 8 speed.

Please someone, tell me how this can be done...
you need to pop the throttle to get it to downshift. the intake and throttle is completely electronic. So let's say I am cruising at 35-40mph. punch it to 90% throttle, let off to 50%. it will still downshift and then roll through the gears, shifting around 5-6000rpm since you left it on 50% throttle.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:44 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by comperr
you need to pop the throttle to get it to downshift. the intake and throttle is completely electronic. So let's say I am cruising at 35-40mph. punch it to 90% throttle, let off to 50%. it will still downshift and then roll through the gears, shifting around 5-6000rpm since you left it on 50% throttle.
I have to agree with you up to a point.
In my old G35 and certain times in the G37 I use a few throttle taps to force the downshift then resume to climb the RPM range.

What the actual concern is that it once this tactic is learned then the owner gets used to it. Many times it takes an over reacting accelerator pedal for the trans to downshift. This is an intermittent problem since every once in a while it will downshift on 15-25% throttle.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:46 AM
comperr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I have to agree with you up to a point.
In my old G35 and certain times in the G37 I use a few throttle taps to force the downshift then resume to climb the RPM range.

What the actual concern is that it once this tactic is learned then the owner gets used to it. Many times it takes an over reacting accelerator pedal for the trans to downshift. This is an intermittent problem since every once in a while it will downshift on 15-25% throttle.
I agree it does require a little attention and it definitely acts different based on how you've been driving. I got my wife a mint condition 2003 G35 (we let go of it 2 weeks ago, RIP) and it acted very similar to my G37, you really need to step on it for it to downshift to 1st. But on that one, lucky the torque is low so you don't spin the tires by leaving the throttle depressed.

I drove a 2008 G35 with the HR engine for about 25,000 miles until it was savagely taken from me in a t-bone accident, that was an ideal transmission, probably works better because there are less decisions to make when you have a 5AT rather than 7AT.

About the G37, I did install the paddle shifters(they are all pre-wired, just plug em in) so I can press - and get the car to switch from 7th to 5th, which reliability ensures I'm about to accelerate in 5th, rather than it deciding to skip down to 4th sometimes. It's a great, cheap addition and solved my only gripe which is its behavior around 50mph, deciding whether to use 4th or 5th based on throttle input
Old 01-01-2023, 07:45 AM
Dbray2316
Registered Member

My solution to disbelievers and my issue

I know that this issue isn't an issue but more just a quirk or way the car just naturally is mostly based off the engine transmission and fuel intake design....it is what it is. Its about the way somebody drives though that makes the most impact if maintenance to the parts needed for required action are all up to service and you know as a G owner that you have done due diligence....best solution without major upgrading and trying to build a modified g37s is going to be the adaptable throttle position sensor reset and then establish the driving patterns u want the car to function under and consistently do it that way....what I do is this....
reset.
Establish positions to be remembered in D mode AND driving patterns to be established in DS mode and M mode....because this car remembers what all 3 modes are doing so drive it normally and establish my baseline in D....pretty much about 15 to 20 mins driving. Then I will stop put in park. NOT kill the car, go straight to DS mode and go ahead and drive the car aggressively for 10 to 15 mins...making the best shifts up and down I possibly can, use braking and 75 percent throttle pushes from different RPMs amd keep catching those gears and the last 5 mins ill open it up to Top Speed and not let off until I no longer accelerate in the car which is usually 158 on flat road or 161 down a hill....then I just let it shift itself down in DS til I stop completly on side of a hwy with hazard lights on, put in park, kill the car open door, shut door again as if it was like I was getting out of the vehicle but not actually....then immediatly crank it amd once it idles down shift to park and drive normally.....since I've did this I haven't had the issue that the O.P. had with his sluggishness and common issues that I had experienced.....this was my fix...maybe work for some ppl like the other guy who said he's so happy and doesn't understand why.....then the other guy half *** hating acting like how could this be!!! Blah blah....this is a forum. And its fir owners of this vehicle to collaborate to share excite, happiness experience, troubleshooting, tips tricks etc...not disrespect...so if somebody suggests something to me and I know it won't work cause I tried then I just say tried that thank you anyway. And keep looking....cause why would I be rude to somebody who makes a suggestion or definitely not be an *** to somebody sharing joy that his car now drives like he wants it to again...but I also understand that words get misunderstood sometimes and tone and meaning from someone can easily get lost in translation through written text in an online forum chat thread especially....no hard feelings for nobody...like I said this was my solution for my situation of annoying shifts and sluggish seeming performance when all my maintenance was up to date and nothing else worked for me to get that snap back into the car...somebody said they tried it and I had already ran thru the TPS, TB cleanout, air filters, intake lines, PCM, MAF cleans and connection checks...etc. so I gave the reset a try. Figured why not....I just treated it like it was an A.I and its is a computer after all....thst learns. So. I taught it what I wanted it to do the way I wanted to drive it....understanding that there is 3 different drive modes on the car and probably would learn it 3 different ways and adjust it how it sees fit based of my presumptive driving patterns. And sure as hell worked. I use D to drive normal and save gas, islap it over to ds and manually shift with the know because I personally feel like there is a very small but present amount of latency in the shift reaction times at the paddles compared to the slap stick....undoubtedly so. Not sure if because I learned it with the slap shift and not paddles or because of the fact that it shifts faster with the **** in general....but I digress.. I wouldn't care anyone's opinion about that fact because I certainly feel the difference of probably am 1/8th of a second or less maybe on the difference from paddles to slap stick, but that difference makes my brains shift pattern react differently because I'm used to shifting it a certain way and it does perform faster without the paddles....idk if anyone would agree or not but on MY car its undeniable....but I do enjoy using them from time to time in D mode to kinda zip thru traffic when needed,

Also the 7AT has quirks. U got give it a quick to the floor and back off tap to prep it for that 5th to 3rd down shift it needs to over take somebody on the rd without losing that crisp acceleration we all grew to love and cant help but miss when it seems unpresent. And that's not mechanical fix, its driver knowledge of the car, awareness of the grade of the terrain ur on, current speed, speed needed to make the move u want and current rpm and the required rpm needed also....and knowing that in D mode it has a little bit of that delay if ubwere driving normal and all the sudden need to overtake and pass amd do it quickly. Then tap pedal before you get ready to change ur lane anticipation that after the tap u will immedialy go to floor amd let off to 75 percent or so leaving urself room to not pedal down the motion as it will stay in the lower gear longer....but also using the paddles in that situation to maintain the gear needex....cause ppl may forget they can be used in D mode if u hit the right paddle first then u can go down immediatly as many gears as u want with ur left paddle....so I do that mixed with throttle sends that open the sensor postion up and use that delay in my move....its about knowing how to drive amd operate this car im learning....its probably the most difficult thing I've driven when it comes to driving aggressive and staying aggressive with irregular shift patterns sometimes but I think personally it's because its a 7 speed. Ive never had these kind of issues with a 5, 6 or 8 speed trans....this is the first time I've owned a 7 speed anything....amd I think this is the blame for the 2-3 shift complain i commonly read about etc...but the car in DS mode with the shifter **** doing the up and downshift, ive none of these issues....but im a pretty great driver because I practice a lot cause I drive alot in life...this car is growing on me....have had it 45 days now almost...and ive learned this about it so far and just wanted to share with the community. Im happy. Happy new years 2023 to all!

David
2012 G37s Journey Sport Sedan 18 in enkei wheels, racing suspension. Racing brakes. Offset tires front to back. 328hp RWD with T/C on off selection, 7-Speed AT, sunroof, all leather, paddle shifters, navigation in dash, 100k miles, bone stock.... 0 to 60 in 5.23 seconds, top speed 159 mph.... and will irk irk from 1 to 2 EVERYTIME in M mode and traction control OFF and feathering that throttle the right way and knowing when to hit 2nd gear lol...love my car. Had to throw that last part in....saw a bunch of ppl saying how much they missed the way there's used to spin tires into 2nd from a dead stop....SAFE TRAVELS TO ALL!!!
Old 01-02-2023, 03:02 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Dbray2316
I know that this issue isn't an issue but more just a quirk or way the car just naturally is mostly based off the engine transmission and fuel intake design....it is what it is. Its about the way somebody drives though that makes the most impact if maintenance to the parts needed for required action are all up to service and you know as a G owner that you have done due diligence....best solution without major upgrading and trying to build a modified g37s is going to be the adaptable throttle position sensor reset and then establish the driving patterns u want the car to function under and consistently do it that way....what I do is this....
reset.
Establish positions to be remembered in D mode AND driving patterns to be established in DS mode and M mode....because this car remembers what all 3 modes are doing so drive it normally and establish my baseline in D....pretty much about 15 to 20 mins driving. Then I will stop put in park. NOT kill the car, go straight to DS mode and go ahead and drive the car aggressively for 10 to 15 mins...making the best shifts up and down I possibly can, use braking and 75 percent throttle pushes from different RPMs amd keep catching those gears and the last 5 mins ill open it up to Top Speed and not let off until I no longer accelerate in the car which is usually 158 on flat road or 161 down a hill....then I just let it shift itself down in DS til I stop completly on side of a hwy with hazard lights on, put in park, kill the car open door, shut door again as if it was like I was getting out of the vehicle but not actually....then immediatly crank it amd once it idles down shift to park and drive normally.....since I've did this I haven't had the issue that the O.P. had with his sluggishness and common issues that I had experienced.....this was my fix...maybe work for some ppl like the other guy who said he's so happy and doesn't understand why.....then the other guy half *** hating acting like how could this be!!! Blah blah....this is a forum. And its fir owners of this vehicle to collaborate to share excite, happiness experience, troubleshooting, tips tricks etc...not disrespect...so if somebody suggests something to me and I know it won't work cause I tried then I just say tried that thank you anyway. And keep looking....cause why would I be rude to somebody who makes a suggestion or definitely not be an *** to somebody sharing joy that his car now drives like he wants it to again...but I also understand that words get misunderstood sometimes and tone and meaning from someone can easily get lost in translation through written text in an online forum chat thread especially....no hard feelings for nobody...like I said this was my solution for my situation of annoying shifts and sluggish seeming performance when all my maintenance was up to date and nothing else worked for me to get that snap back into the car...somebody said they tried it and I had already ran thru the TPS, TB cleanout, air filters, intake lines, PCM, MAF cleans and connection checks...etc. so I gave the reset a try. Figured why not....I just treated it like it was an A.I and its is a computer after all....thst learns. So. I taught it what I wanted it to do the way I wanted to drive it....understanding that there is 3 different drive modes on the car and probably would learn it 3 different ways and adjust it how it sees fit based of my presumptive driving patterns. And sure as hell worked. I use D to drive normal and save gas, islap it over to ds and manually shift with the know because I personally feel like there is a very small but present amount of latency in the shift reaction times at the paddles compared to the slap stick....undoubtedly so. Not sure if because I learned it with the slap shift and not paddles or because of the fact that it shifts faster with the **** in general....but I digress.. I wouldn't care anyone's opinion about that fact because I certainly feel the difference of probably am 1/8th of a second or less maybe on the difference from paddles to slap stick, but that difference makes my brains shift pattern react differently because I'm used to shifting it a certain way and it does perform faster without the paddles....idk if anyone would agree or not but on MY car its undeniable....but I do enjoy using them from time to time in D mode to kinda zip thru traffic when needed,

Also the 7AT has quirks. U got give it a quick to the floor and back off tap to prep it for that 5th to 3rd down shift it needs to over take somebody on the rd without losing that crisp acceleration we all grew to love and cant help but miss when it seems unpresent. And that's not mechanical fix, its driver knowledge of the car, awareness of the grade of the terrain ur on, current speed, speed needed to make the move u want and current rpm and the required rpm needed also....and knowing that in D mode it has a little bit of that delay if ubwere driving normal and all the sudden need to overtake and pass amd do it quickly. Then tap pedal before you get ready to change ur lane anticipation that after the tap u will immedialy go to floor amd let off to 75 percent or so leaving urself room to not pedal down the motion as it will stay in the lower gear longer....but also using the paddles in that situation to maintain the gear needex....cause ppl may forget they can be used in D mode if u hit the right paddle first then u can go down immediatly as many gears as u want with ur left paddle....so I do that mixed with throttle sends that open the sensor postion up and use that delay in my move....its about knowing how to drive amd operate this car im learning....its probably the most difficult thing I've driven when it comes to driving aggressive and staying aggressive with irregular shift patterns sometimes but I think personally it's because its a 7 speed. Ive never had these kind of issues with a 5, 6 or 8 speed trans....this is the first time I've owned a 7 speed anything....amd I think this is the blame for the 2-3 shift complain i commonly read about etc...but the car in DS mode with the shifter **** doing the up and downshift, ive none of these issues....but im a pretty great driver because I practice a lot cause I drive alot in life...this car is growing on me....have had it 45 days now almost...and ive learned this about it so far and just wanted to share with the community. Im happy. Happy new years 2023 to all!

David
2012 G37s Journey Sport Sedan 18 in enkei wheels, racing suspension. Racing brakes. Offset tires front to back. 328hp RWD with T/C on off selection, 7-Speed AT, sunroof, all leather, paddle shifters, navigation in dash, 100k miles, bone stock.... 0 to 60 in 5.23 seconds, top speed 159 mph.... and will irk irk from 1 to 2 EVERYTIME in M mode and traction control OFF and feathering that throttle the right way and knowing when to hit 2nd gear lol...love my car. Had to throw that last part in....saw a bunch of ppl saying how much they missed the way there's used to spin tires into 2nd from a dead stop....SAFE TRAVELS TO ALL!!!
Hey David. This is true that the car does adapt it's shifting to the driver and many times it adapts the "old lady" driving patterns because we dont need to be hauling azz everywhere we go.

Where we start disagreeing is on your self discovered method of a fix. No type of learn parameter should require top speed to take place, granted this is what worked for you however in a top speed even: ATF temperatures raise about 30 degrees, fluid thins a bit, passages clean up from the added pressure + less viscosity, less fluid in the pan more pressurized fluid in the trans, etc. Many things are happening all at once.

If an ecu reset and a change in driving pattern is what helps them then a simple reset and coverage of patterns will fix this issue but we know that this is not the case. You have owned this car for almost 2 months, you cannot simply do this every single time and I'm willing to bet it wont work every single time.

I still stand by a sensitive shift logic that's affected by many sensors which is all surrounded and affected by driving pattern. So you're not wrong on you initial deductions and experiment but give it time to further diagnose and repeat and you'll get to the point where other have.