Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Supercharger or Turbocharger for 7 speed auto transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Muujig612

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supercharger or Turbocharger for 7 speed auto transmission?

Hi all,

Thanks for viewing my post.

I have 2011 G37x which comes with AWD and a 7 speed automatic transmission. For those who don't know the 7 speed auto transmission, it's kind of slow... it's actually pretty slow, when you put your foot down on the gas pedal it doesn't instantly go to the lowest appropriate gear, what it does is first pick a 5th, then pick 4th and then go to 3rd, which I believe is slow. So, I'm thinking turbocharger kit is not very suitable to it.

My question is which is better for a slow tranny G37x? Supercharger or a Turbocharger?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
bigmike35nj (07-27-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
first off make sure you have the latest update for the tranny which you can check at your local infiniti dealer. That should help with shifting.

Second if you want your tranny to shift quicker do the GTM valvebody upgrade as that will help.

Third, when you do a force induction upgrade it should always come with a tune. That tune will help the shifting for the tranny whether it is a TT or a SC.

Just realize that a TT is like a big push of power (in my eyes harder on the tranny) and a SC is a constant gain of power (which in my eyes is less damaging on the tranny) but this is IMO.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (07-27-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Muujig612

what do you mean by update on tranny? is like an tranny software update?

Also what if I don't wanna open up my tranny, would that be OK if I go for the supercharger?

I just don't want to make a lot of modification. Just want to install either a Twin-Turbocharger Kit or Twin-Supercharger Kit and that's it
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Muujig612
what do you mean by update on tranny? is like an tranny software update?

Also what if I don't wanna open up my tranny, would that be OK if I go for the supercharger?

I just don't want to make a lot of modification. Just want to install either a Twin-Turbocharger Kit or Twin-Supercharger Kit and that's it
Lol, "don't want to do a lot of modification" does not belong in the same conversation as any form of forced induction. It is never just a matter of strapping on the kit.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
there is a TSB for the auto tanny that fixes issues also a tune will help as well.. but get the tsb first...also if you going FI i would get the tranny built to handle the power..
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Lol, "don't want to do a lot of modification" does not belong in the same conversation as any form of forced induction. It is never just a matter of strapping on the kit.

^^^^^ This............

Did you really buy the G37 thinking it was going to be a fast car? Did you not test drive it first? I never had an issue with my 7at and it was not slow by any means but they are not fast cars stock. If you really want to go FI with the 7at you should stick with a supercharger as if you go TT you will either have to run very little boost or dump a lot of money into your 7at. Its funny as a simular discussion is going on over at the 370z forum, although it started out differently.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Elperuano

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just slap the biggest turbo you can find and push up to 25lbs of boost. You don't even need a tune. Just drive with the windows down and enjoy the sounds.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
SPDCRZ

^^^^^ HAHAHAHA! ya he will enjoy the sound for about 100ft
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Muujig612
My question is which is better for a slow tranny G37x? Supercharger or a Turbocharger?

Thanks
First off, welcome to the wonderful world of forced induction.
Second, everyone here has an opinion (only an opinion if they have not done what you are asking before answering your question).

I have a 2012 coupe (2wd) IPL with a TT setup and a valve body upgrade. The tranny slipped with this setup. I was always afraid my transmission was one pull from burning up. This is my real world experience.
I don't like that constant fear.
From what I have gathered this is highly due to high torque produced by turbos.
I don't have a Supercharger, nor have I, but from what I have "heard" they produce less torque "on average". That is not to say that you can't get well north of 400+ lbs of torque from a high output supercharger. It has been done.

Another factor ( I hear) is how the power comes on differently in a TT setup vs a Super. My TT setup hits like a sledgehammer at about 3,500 RPMs. I break loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.
My "understanding" (not having one) is that the superchargers build much smoother. This will obviously effect your tranny.

And finally, you have an AWD vehicle. This means you will likely have "massive traction". My 2wd breaks loose often. When you add 100s of additional WHP & Torque eventually there will be a weak link or breaking point. In my car the tires tend to give out before the tranny starts slipping (at least in lower gears). I "assume" that wih yor additional traction (being AWD) something else "will likely" give first. Will this be your transmission, engine or something else?

Again I don't have an AWD, or a supercharged G, but there is my experience.
My advice is to seek out another member with an AWD G with TT setup and one with a Supercharged setup. AND call a shop that has experience installing & REPAIRING those setups after they fail.
The following 3 users liked this post by wattles:
ANMVQ (07-27-2013), timp (07-26-2013), warpeacelove (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM
SPDCRZ

Originally Posted by wattles
First off, welcome to the wonderful world of forced induction.
Second, everyone here has an opinion (only an opinion if they have not done what you are asking before answering your question).

I have a 2012 coupe (2wd) IPL with a TT setup and a valve body upgrade. The tranny slipped with this setup. I was always afraid my transmission was one pull from burning up. This is my real world experience.
I don't like that constant fear.
From what I have gathered this is highly due to high torque produced by turbos.
I don't have a Supercharger, nor have I, but from what I have "heard" they produce less torque "on average". That is not to say that you can't get well north of 400+ lbs of torque from a high output supercharger. It has been done.

Another factor ( I hear) is how the power comes on differently in a TT setup vs a Super. My TT setup hits like a sledgehammer at about 3,500 RPMs. I break loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.
My "understanding" (not having one) is that the superchargers build much smoother. This will obviously effect your tranny.

And finally, you have an AWD vehicle. This means you will likely have "massive traction". My 2wd breaks loose often. When you add 100s of additional WHP & Torque eventually there will be a weak link or breaking point. In my car the tires tend to give out before the tranny starts slipping (at least in lower gears). I "assume" that wih yor additional traction (being AWD) something else "will likely" give first. Will this be your transmission, engine or something else?

Again I don't have an AWD, or a supercharged G, but there is my experience.
My advice is to seek out another member with an AWD G with TT setup and one with a Supercharged setup. AND call a shop that has experience installing & REPAIRING those setups after they fail.
^^ saying that, I have an Awd supercharged g and can agree that the power is not as forceful when it kicks in. But I do have the valvebody upgrade and in 4th I still have very slight slippage.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
^^ saying that, I have an Awd supercharged g and can agree that the power is not as forceful when it kicks in. But I do have the valvebody upgrade and in 4th I still have very slight slippage.

Do you a VB upgrade & Uprev increased line pressure setup to mitigate your slipping issue?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
My tranny was fine on my Stilen Kit, 457WHP and 330 WTRQ. I could how ever break the tires loose so traction was still an issuse. With UPREV my tuner just adjust the line pressure on the trany and it shifted perfect
Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM
SPDCRZ

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Do you a VB upgrade & Uprev increased line pressure setup to mitigate your slipping issue?
Yes I have the vb upgrade and uprev tune. It did stop like 95% of any slippage.

But just so you are clear, I do go out to the track once in a while, so I push my car HARD!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Muujig612

Wow, thank you everyone for your answers and opinions so looks like I will need that Valve Body upgrade thing. Hmmmm... all this is making me think twice about the damn upgrade. SPDCRZ I have a question for you.

How much did your kit and the tuning cost?
And how hard is that valve body upgrade is?

You see, my car is not located in US. It's halfway around the world, in Mongolia. So, I can buy whatever I need from US, but strapping everything I got from US is gonna be done by me and my friend mechanics. That's why I don't want to get into those complicated stuff. Like opening up my tranny and stuff.

Is there a guide of some sort on upgrading the valve body on the tranny?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Oh wow! I never knew Infiniti's were even sold there. If the issue is with the reposnse of your transmission, I don't think boosting your car will fix the issue.

GTM Motorsports will send you an installation along with the valve body upgrade. If it looks too complex I wouldn't attempt it then.

PS: My brother was in Mongolia last year and judging from his feedback on the roads over there, I wouldn't bother boosting the car. 330hp is enough to get wheel spin in the first few gears.

Quick Reply: Help Supercharger or Turbocharger for 7 speed auto transmission?