MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Help Alternate filters for R2C Intake (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/248121-alternate-filters-for-r2c-intake.html)

Rochester 06-16-2013 06:54 PM

Alternate filters for R2C Intake

Has anyone ever put a different filter on the R2C Intake? For years, I was partial to the Apex-i pop-charger, and was wondering how that would fly with the R2C?

TVPostSound 06-16-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3642717)
Has anyone ever put a different filter on the R2C Intake? For years, I was partial to the Apex-i pop-charger, and was wondering how that would fly with the R2C?

Why?
R2C makes the most effective filters in the world!!

Deprecated Browser Error

Rad_Slinger 06-16-2013 08:18 PM

i'm changing my K&N filters on my typhoons.

going to be going with AEM filters.

having the oiled filters is kinda freaking me out. supposedly AEM makes very good filters.

Rochester 06-16-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 3642729)
Why?
R2C makes the most effective filters in the world!!

Because I have an aesthetic consideration that the R2C filter doesn't satisfy.

And because I'm asking.

Rad_Slinger 06-16-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3642757)
Because I have an aesthetic consideration that the R2C filter doesn't satisfy.

And because I'm asking.

elaborate on your aesthetic preference please

AEM makes a "reddish maroon" and a "black" filter.

Rochester 06-17-2013 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger (Post 3642762)
elaborate on your aesthetic preference please

AEM makes a "reddish maroon" and a "black" filter.

The only thing the R2C lacks is that visual appeal in the filter element, and you know I like to detail my engine bay as much as the rest of the car.

The Apex-i pop-charger is an attractive and respectable design, and I was just wondering if anyone had ever swapped out the R2C filter element for something else, as mated to the R2C intake kit.

http://www.autonationals.com/images/...air-filter.jpg

Rad_Slinger 06-17-2013 08:22 AM

Apexi is pretty. Ya know its not gonna stay like that though.....right?

Rochester 06-17-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger (Post 3642895)
Apexi is pretty. Ya know its not gonna stay like that though.....right?

Yessir, I do. I know that from experience. After a while, that blood red look fades away to a dingy maroon.

At WOT, the Apexi pop-charger has an amazing howl to it. For a while there and years ago, SRI kits from various vendors came in two flavors: K&N filter, or another $50 for the Apexi.

In any event, I'm reasonably sure I could put any pop-charger I wanted on the R2C intake, given proper diameter and length. The point of the thread was to see if anyone had done it, is all. And to TVPostSound's point, R2C makes a seriously high quality filter, so... doubtful anyone bothered.

TVPostSound 06-29-2013 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3642897)
Yessir, I do. I know that from experience. After a while, that blood red look fades away to a dingy maroon.

At WOT, the Apexi pop-charger has an amazing howl to it. For a while there and years ago, SRI kits from various vendors came in two flavors: K&N filter, or another $50 for the Apexi.

In any event, I'm reasonably sure I could put any pop-charger I wanted on the R2C intake, given proper diameter and length. The point of the thread was to see if anyone had done it, is all. And to TVPostSound's point, R2C makes a seriously high quality filter, so... doubtful anyone bothered.

Im trying to see of I can fit R2C filters on my Stillen Gen 3!!

Rochester 06-29-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 3647666)
Im trying to see of I can fit R2C filters on my Stillen Gen 3!!

Don't the pop-chargers on the Gen3 have some kind of connecting point at the hats?

blnewt 06-29-2013 04:21 PM

Will the Amsoil filters fit the R2C? Been very happy w/ mine on my SRI, sound great too!

TVPostSound 06-29-2013 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3647701)
Don't the pop-chargers on the Gen3 have some kind of connecting point at the hats?

Yup, they do, it's technically a bolt stuck through the top of a K&N.

Rochester 06-29-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 3647757)
Yup, they do, it's technically a bolt stuck through the top of a K&N.

Ah. Top notch engineering then. :biggthumpup:

I've been going back and forth on which intake I want for the G, since long before even buying the car. I've decided I want this R2C kit over the long-tubes.

TVPostSound 06-29-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3647762)
Ah. Top notch engineering then. :biggthumpup:

I've been going back and forth on which intake I want for the G, since long before even buying the car. I've decided I want this R2C kit over the long-tubes.

My first intakes were R2C.
The R2Cs gave a quick off the line acceleration, then the curve stayed fairly flat.
The Gen3s, not a jolt at first, but I feel the car pulling harder all the way to redline.

What turned me off was the intake noise, just too loud with short rams!!
Sounded like a Civic without an air filter.

Rochester 08-11-2013 08:54 PM

Now that I've got the R2C intakes, the answer to my question is, "No."

The R2C filter elements have a thick rubber coupling built into the end. Apex-i filters are flat, and intended to bolt on to an adapter. Getting the two designs to play well means using yet another coupling to marry the mid-pipes to the pop-charger adapters. And that doesn't seem practical, or something that would fit.

I suppose someday I'll look into this again, with proper measurements and all, but for now, it is what it is... which isn't half bad.

http://www.johnclare.com/pics/cars/r..._intake_05.jpg

http://www.johnclare.com/pics/cars/r..._intake_07.jpg