Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Got my g37 coupe upgrev tuned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 AM
venzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my g37 coupe upgrev tuned.

Preface: 2010 G37 coupe 7at with IPL true dual exhaust, stillen gen 3 intake and Gramslight 57 extreme wheels. throttle body and MAF was cleaned prior to the tune although not necessary. I just installed the IPL exhaust on the same day of the tune and I did not do a ecu reset. Don't know if that effects anything.

The tune: Pretty straight forward, got my car on the dyno. An issue arises, they had to find a crack for my ECU because I recently had it replaced. The tech promptly found it and the tune went on. Took about 5-6 hours at Z car garage in san jose. They were so busy that most of my questions went unanswered...

Cost: 600

Dyno Results: HP 292.75 to 306.28, torque 241.75 to 249.72

My butt dyno results: Honestly for light driving i felt the car got more sluggish from 1-3k rpm. This is expected, you gain some and you lose some.
When I punch the throttle, however, The car flys off and it scares me unlike before.

Other comments:

1. The car feels the same. It idles better and drives smoother but it is still the same machine, unlike how other people say it feels like a brand new car after a tune.

2. The exhaust note changed and got louder after the tune... that was unexpected. I confirmed this by changing it back to the stock map.

3. it feels like all the other mods i have done. Gains when you punch it, losts when you casual drive it.

3. For some reason the throttle is different, it takes more for the car to downshift and more to accelerate. With stock map i can stay at one throttle position and it would continue to accelerate.

4. Its interesting to point out that this other member who has a 6mt IPL coupe with still gen3; Which is exactly the same mods i have, had gotten more HP and more TQ gains than me at the exact same tuner and dyno. Maybe its because of his IPL ECU, 6MT tranny or his car is in better mechanical condition than mine. He got 11 tq and 4 HP more than me. However, for some reason my power band is smoother.

His post is: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...en-3-tune.html

5. Overall a good mod would do again 10/10
Attached Thumbnails Got my g37 coupe upgrev tuned.-steven-lu-g37-uprev.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for the review Venzz. I have an appointment to get this done on the 30th, nice to know the results.

Questions, did you have hem remove the throttle lag? Did they mess with your timing?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will always make more power through a manual, less drivetrain loss.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
slims

Was your goal out of getting the tune only to gain more HP and TQ? Or were there other things (like shifting for example) that you wanted fixed or addressed with this tune? My thoughts are, $600.00 only to gain 14whp doesn't hardly seem worth it to me...however, as I said, if you did this to fix or improve other issues as well, then it might have been worth doing.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks for the honest, solid contribution, and informative review venzz
If we could get more of this, more using the search button, the forum world would be a better place.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by venzz
Preface: 2010 G37 coupe 7at with IPL true dual exhaust, stillen gen 3 intake and Gramslight 57 extreme wheels. throttle body and MAF was cleaned prior to the tune although not necessary. I just installed the IPL exhaust on the same day of the tune and I did not do a ecu reset. Don't know if that effects anything.

The tune: Pretty straight forward, got my car on the dyno. An issue arises, they had to find a crack for my ECU because I recently had it replaced. The tech promptly found it and the tune went on. Took about 5-6 hours at Z car garage in san jose. They were so busy that most of my questions went unanswered...

Cost: 600

Dyno Results: HP 292.75 to 306.28, torque 241.75 to 249.72

My butt dyno results: Honestly for light driving i felt the car got more sluggish from 1-3k rpm. This is expected, you gain some and you lose some.
When I punch the throttle, however, The car flys off and it scares me unlike before.

Other comments:

1. The car feels the same. It idles better and drives smoother but it is still the same machine, unlike how other people say it feels like a brand new car after a tune.

2. The exhaust note changed and got louder after the tune... that was unexpected. I confirmed this by changing it back to the stock map.

3. it feels like all the other mods i have done. Gains when you punch it, losts when you casual drive it.

3. For some reason the throttle is different, it takes more for the car to downshift and more to accelerate. With stock map i can stay at one throttle position and it would continue to accelerate.

4. Its interesting to point out that this other member who has a 6mt IPL coupe with still gen3; Which is exactly the same mods i have, had gotten more HP and more TQ gains than me at the exact same tuner and dyno. Maybe its because of his IPL ECU, 6MT tranny or his car is in better mechanical condition than mine. He got 11 tq and 4 HP more than me. However, for some reason my power band is smoother.

His post is: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...en-3-tune.html

5. Overall a good mod would do again 10/10

You have to remember, even though everyone gets the same engine.
Ipl has 18 more hp & a more responsive ecu.
The g motor can vary + or - 20 hp, unless its the same car same dyno, your splitting hairs.

When my uprev tune was done was 11whp & 8lbtq.
I had every mod you can get, I pulled 309whp with aftermarket 20s.
Yet bone stock z pulled a 298whp stock.
Same car add tp/cat back/stage 3.
It pulled 334 whp, I was like wtf?
How is that possible, they take to mods much better, again I will say its the ecu that has improved.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM
IPL 370GT

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
You have to remember, even though everyone gets the same engine.
Ipl has 18 more hp & a more responsive ecu.
The g motor can vary + or - 20 hp, unless its the same car same dyno, your splitting hairs.

When my uprev tune was done was 11whp & 8lbtq.
I had every mod you can get, I pulled 309whp with aftermarket 20s.
Yet bone stock z pulled a 298whp stock.
Same car add tp/cat back/stage 3.
It pulled 334 whp, I was like wtf?
How is that possible, they take to mods much better, again I will say its the ecu that has improved.
This plus so many other factors. Weather, mileage on the engine, fuel, clean mafs, clean throttle bodies, clean filters make for better or different results.

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You scare me when you said the car got more sluggish from 1-3k rpms . When getting a tune isn't it suppose to correct the low end torque and fix the AFR that you lose when you have a intake/exhaust and HFC. But for 600 bucks I don't wanna feel the car got more sluggish driving around town as you stated.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
$600 for only a 13.53 hp gain or $44.35 PER 1hp?????

Im sorry but thats just plain STUPID, IMO if i was you i would have modded the car some more say a FULL EXHAUST from headers back, a nice CAI or even a supercharger/turbo, but to tune a basically stock car and pay that much for such little gain is absurd. All they do is add timing to the cars' existing stock tune to make more power.

PS: you to get technical you will need to retune the car in the summer time because when the air is hot its less dense than when its cold which will change your AFR quite a bit and depending on how much timing is added and the air temp in the summer you might have to worry about detonation because of the combination of higher timing + hotter air + an already high compression engine = problems.

Sorry to rain on your parade bud.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
IPL 370GT

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz

Im sorry but thats just plain STUPID, IMO if i was you i would have modded the car some more say a FULL EXHAUST from headers back, a nice CAI or even a supercharger/turbo, but to tune a basically stock car and pay that much for such little gain is absurd. All they do is add timing to the cars' existing stock tune to make more power.

PS: you to get technical you will need to retune the car in the summer time because when the air is hot its less dense than when its cold which will change your AFR quite a bit and depending on how much timing is added and the air temp in the summer you might have to worry about detonation because of the combination of higher timing + hotter air + an already high compression engine = problems.

How exactly are you raining on his parade?
While some of your post may be fact, some of it is entirely in left field. People spend more on Stillen Gen 3 with install cost. HFC's nearly 600$ or more, and typically an exhaust system is way more than that. The gains on any of the mentioned mods are VERY minimal and bolt-on's never amount to much. A properly Uprev tuned Car is far more enjoyable to drive. While OP didn't pick up massive gains, the car is usually more responsive and aggressive. Fortunately, now his mods are working together and it's fun to drive. Some think that's worth 600$..without the rainy parade.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by IPL 370GT
How exactly are you raining on his parade?
While some of your post may be fact, some of it is entirely in left field. People spend more on Stillen Gen 3 with install cost. HFC's nearly 600$ and typically an exhaust system is way for than that. The gains on any of the mentioned mods are VERY minimal and bolt-on's never mount to much. A properly Uprev tuned Car is far more enjoyable to drive. While OP didn't pick up massive gains, the car is usually more responsive and aggressive. Some think that's worth 600$..without the rainy parade.
Guess you didn't read my post in its entirety...I just felt like i was the only one that posted what i felt was the truth thats all. Like i said a tune with minimal bolt-on mods simply put is a waste of money because the gains like i said are so minimal that its not really worth the cost. As far as the added hp thats cool that you have some extra hp i just think it would be wiser to mod the car more (in engine performance) prior to tuning...and like i said you would need multiple tunes for different seasons depending on how aggressive the tune is.

In my Talon which was pushing around 618hp to the wheels (depending on air temp) and i used to tune the car myself so i know a thing or two about this and like i already said, the AFR will change dramatically between winter-summer, perfect example since my car was running E85 IDEAL AFR is 12.1-12.4 under full throttle so in the winter time it was in that range but in summer time the car was pig rich 10.9~11.4 because of the air being less dense so the ratio of air to fuel is now different, when the air is more dense you need to add more fuel vice versa...

either way, as long as the op is happy thats cool because at the end of the day its his car not mine.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
venzz

Not raining on anything. I like honest talk. The thing is, I do not want to go header exhaust because of the lost of low end torque. I daily drive this car and I want it to be able to accelerate effortlessly.

I payed 600 for my GEN 3 CAI too the gains were much less noticeable than this tune. If you want the most gains per dollar just go the NOS route. I know the turbo/supercharger route is the BEST but i have NO MONEY for that kind of setup. Not to mention it will probably be a headache to maintain a FI'ed Car. You are speaking as if money is not a problem.

Full exhaust I had the FI CBE, didnt like the lost of low end torque and the sound now I m running an IPL exhaust which is a true dual exhaust design. I have a nice CAI too, the stillen gen 3. I payed 600 for my GEN 3 CAI too the gains were much less noticeable than this tune.

I do not think summer is going to be an issue because I live in the bay area, the temperatures are very mild during summer. The place where I got my tune at, during that day it was already like a summer day for us in san francisco.

All in all. I think it is smart for one to get a tune even after only an intake upgrade. Make the most out of the mods you already have.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
venzz

Guess you didn't read my post in its entirety...I just felt like i was the only one that posted what i felt was the truth thats all. Like i said a tune with minimal bolt-on mods simply put is a waste of money because the gains like i said are so minimal that its not really worth the cost. As far as the added hp thats cool that you have some extra hp i just think it would be wiser to mod the car more (in engine performance) prior to tuning...and like i said you would need multiple tunes for different seasons depending on how aggressive the tune is.

In my Talon which was pushing around 618hp to the wheels (depending on air temp) and i used to tune the car myself so i know a thing or two about this and like i already said, the AFR will change dramatically between winter-summer, perfect example since my car was running E85 IDEAL AFR is 12.1-12.4 under full throttle so in the winter time it was in that range but in summer time the car was pig rich 10.9~11.4 because of the air being less dense so the ratio of air to fuel is now different, when the air is more dense you need to add more fuel vice versa...

either way, as long as the op is happy thats cool because at the end of the day its his car not mine.
Most bolt on are a waste of money too, when I installed my CAI, i didnt feel jack. When I installed my FI CBE, I lost low end power. I can bet my money it is the same for HFC, TPs, headers.

However, the tune is the only gains that i can actually feel. The truth is, the tune is what will help you realize the gains and smooth out the powerband. Yes, it is true the more mods you have the more gains you will see. The power you gain scales with the amount of mods you have.

And yes I m happy. For some reason you make it sound like: "oh hes ****ing up his car"

I use to have a 2g DSM too, eclipse gst
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Wen I installed my FI HFC and CB, my car feels quicker. I don't think I lost anything on the low end....

Then again, I'm in manual mode cuz I'm smiling at the sound.

One thing I did notice, is that my MPG has gone down like 3mpg....hoping to get that back with the tune.

And venzz, you didn't answer my question about the timing or throttle response.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

First off remember,yes you tune for gains.

It's only a waste if be bad parts on order & didn't wait for the delivery, that's different.

Maybe his next mod won't be done for a while, also tunes are done to smooth out the car.

Makes it more efficient on gas, plus with the extra timing you won't have to push so hard.

Btw I had stage 3 / fi HFCs/ fi cat back / even had a custom x pipe to help exhaust flow.

I gained 11whp & 8 or 9wtq.

The only thing I added later was stillen headers/oil cooler.

I gained 12whp & 15tq, final was 320whp after the headers & retune.

Still less than the z with less mods, IMO same set up on the 370 & it's at the 350whp.

Quick Reply: Review Got my g37 coupe upgrev tuned.