Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Got my g37 coupe upgrev tuned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
OP, thanks for the post. Not excited to hear about the low RPM sluggish feeling though.

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
PS: you to get technical you will need to retune the car in the summer time because when the air is hot its less dense than when its cold which will change your AFR quite a bit and depending on how much timing is added and the air temp in the summer you might have to worry about detonation because of the combination of higher timing + hotter air + an already high compression engine = problems.
So you're saying I need to retune the car for summer and winter? What if the air temp changes from 100 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees in the fall and 20 degrees in winter, should I get three different tunes? I'm being sarcastic, I'm not asking you these questions. If you're tuning your own car, you might want to learn how the the computer calculates air density as one of parameters to adjust AFR. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 AM
venzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Wen I installed my FI HFC and CB, my car feels quicker. I don't think I lost anything on the low end....

Then again, I'm in manual mode cuz I'm smiling at the sound.

One thing I did notice, is that my MPG has gone down like 3mpg....hoping to get that back with the tune.

And venzz, you didn't answer my question about the timing or throttle response.

sorry bud, completely overlooked your post

TBH i m not sure, the shop i was at was so busy that I couldnt talk to them. They are one of the most reputable shops around our area so I would expect them to tune it.

As for throttle, there is an difference. It feels like i need to give it more throttle to get the car to go. i m not completely sure yet, I need to do more spirited driving.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by venzz
Most bolt on are a waste of money too, when I installed my CAI, i didnt feel jack. When I installed my FI CBE, I lost low end power. I can bet my money it is the same for HFC, TPs, headers.

However, the tune is the only gains that i can actually feel. The truth is, the tune is what will help you realize the gains and smooth out the powerband. Yes, it is true the more mods you have the more gains you will see. The power you gain scales with the amount of mods you have.

And yes I m happy. For some reason you make it sound like: "oh hes ****ing up his car"

I use to have a 2g DSM too, eclipse gst

NICE!

like i said at the end, if the op is happy thats all that matters
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
OP, thanks for the post. Not excited to hear about the low RPM sluggish feeling though.

So you're saying I need to retune the car for summer and winter? What if the air temp changes from 100 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees in the fall and 20 degrees in winter, should I get three different tunes? I'm being sarcastic, I'm not asking you these questions. If you're tuning your own car, you might want to learn how the the computer calculates air density as one of parameters to adjust AFR. Thanks for the laugh.

thats what happens when you get acustomed to speed density...no MAF in speed density, just IAT and a MAP sensor...my fault lol
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Not too bad. Pretty good numbers. Is that all you going to do since you got the tune?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM
venzz

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Not too bad. Pretty good numbers. Is that all you going to do since you got the tune?

No, I m going to try to lighten the whole drivetrain so i can get the most out of the car. CF driveshaft, lighter rotors.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Very good numners man, Like what I made NA 297 WHP and 240 WHTQ .. Guys they tune just help out things remember we make like 255-265 WHP stock he pick up and overall 40 or so WHP with bolt ons and tune, The tune is well worth it .. It makes the car so much more fun to drive, The big gains are in the mid range where we need it,
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't understand why OP said she lost low end with the FI CBE? Because when I installed my FI with X pipe stock cats on my 2011. I did not lose anything I did not even reset the ECM! And I feel more top end now. I also installed the Injen SRI system and did not lose any low end and I have more top end, again did not reset ECM. I just drove around for about 1 week or so and the car adjusted it self.

So I think going from the FI to the IPL setup was more of a placebo effect then anything. But I ask did you give your car a chance to learn your new setup?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This just seems to prove that the G37 is not a very good car to mod. Even though the dyno showed an improvement it doesn't seem to any use in normal day to day driving. I appreciate the review. Now I can take this off my list too.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Bill Whitlock

awesome thread! very informative. I ordered my Stillen CBE and CAI the other day. Should be installing them in the next few days. Looks like I'll wait and install the HFCs before doing an ECU tune.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You necromancer, you.