Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

I hate the rev matching when downshifting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
^Only 370s have DRM on the manual
You know, I test-drove the 370 6MT with DRM when it first came out, and my first impression wasn't a positive one. It seemed more of a toy than anything terribly useful. Plus, you can (or could) fake it out, which was rather disconcerting. From what I've read, most 370 owners turn it off.

Regardless, I am a little miffed I don't have that tech in my G. I've got nothing against toys.

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
My 6MT has MRF rev matching
That's exactly right. I believe the technical term is "driving". I learned how to drive a stick on a 1974 Ford Pinto, because you can't break what's already broken.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
The whole idea is *NOT* to upset the suspension when downshifting. This ensures you won't lose traction because all of a sudden weight has shifted forward (due to engine braking).
Winner.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-28-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
ncguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonVonG
I don't like it because i am always used to doing it myself. This is my first AT car and when i use the tiptronic my habit of manually rev matching + the automatic rev matching creates the opposite effect. I also don't like it when downshifting for engine braking. Sometimes a downshift needs a rev match but other times you want to down shift and to engine brake and the rev match delays this process. I would just rather more of the control to be in my hands when in tiptronic then for things to be done automatically. It will just take some getting used to i guess.
I really hope you don't take this as a prickish remark. I honestly don't mean it that way.

RM has been a pretty well-noted feature of the 7AT since the transmission was first put in the G. Every article I read about the car mentioned it. I have to assume you knew RM was there before you purchased. If you didn't want it, why didn't you just find a 6MT?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's exactly right. I believe the technical term is "driving". I learned how to drive a stick on a 1974 Ford Pinto, because you can't break what's already broken.
LOL, the first car I ever bought with my own money was a dull, faded, red 1976 Pinto 2.8L V6 - 103hp. My Grandfather was took me car shopping and convinced me it was a good car, for me at 16. I still love my late Grandpa anyway. I know he always looked out for me. Memories.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
LOL, the first car I ever bought with my own money was a dull, faded, red 1976 Pinto 2.8L V6 - 103hp. My Grandfather was took me car shopping and convinced me it was a good car, for me at 16. I still love my late Grandpa anyway. I know he always looked out for me. Memories.
Wow....my first was a 77 Pinto 2.3 4 banger w/4sp stick. Engine quit at 12,000 miles ....in warranty. I may have pushed it a bit
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
gthal

I don't like it because i am always used to doing it myself. This is my first AT car and when i use the tiptronic my habit of manually rev matching + the automatic rev matching creates the opposite effect. I also don't like it when downshifting for engine braking. Sometimes a downshift needs a rev match but other times you want to down shift and to engine brake and the rev match delays this process. I would just rather more of the control to be in my hands when in tiptronic then for things to be done automatically. It will just take some getting used to i guess.
How do you "manually rev match" in an auto? Do you put it in neutral, blip the throttle, and then put it in gear again? If so, that's the strangest thing I have ever heard

The purpose of the rev matching feature is to compensate for the fact that you can't rev match with an auto transmission like you can in a manual. It is actually an important feature when driving the car hard (say on a track) because rev matching is important, as others have pointed out, and it can't be done manually in an auto.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I would think that any rev matching done in an auto would be overridden by the ECU/TCU. If you click (?) on the paddle for downshift, and give it throttle, that probably confuses the computer. Maybe on non drive by wire cars this actually works, but these days computer controls are everywhere. On the newer cars, by clicking on the paddle, all you're doing is putting in a request to the computer that you'd like (appreciate, welcome) the trans to downshift.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
So why not just leave it in D (DRIVE) and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM
DonVonG

Originally Posted by ncguy
I really hope you don't take this as a prickish remark. I honestly don't mean it that way.

RM has been a pretty well-noted feature of the 7AT since the transmission was first put in the G. Every article I read about the car mentioned it. I have to assume you knew RM was there before you purchased. If you didn't want it, why didn't you just find a 6MT?
I understand what your saying. I did know about the rev matching feature but looked at it as a plus when looking at the car. Once I began driving it i would just prefer it not to have the feature. My mother has an 03 35 coupe and the tiptronic does not rev match and i like the feel of that tiptronic more.

I understand what everyone is saying about the "Proper" way to drive a car. I have driven a manual since my first car. I understand rev matching is the correct way to downshift and all that good stuff. However i prefer my car did not do it automatically!!!!! Yes it puts less stress on the transmission, BUT I DONT LIKE IT! haha Call me old fashion, but this new feature isnt a must. It is a feature and nothing more...many cars have preceded it without the feature. I am assuming there is no way to disable this feature though, which was my initial reason for posting this thread but was completely ignored.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Don, perhaps we're missing something. What do you feel is the proper operation of the engine/trans when you request it to downshift using the paddle?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
DonVonG

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Don, perhaps we're missing something. What do you feel is the proper operation of the engine/trans when you request it to downshift using the paddle?
I liked tiptronic without rev matching. The 03 g35 coupe i have driven did not have rev matching, and i liked the feel of that more. I guess it is something i will just have to get used to. I am really surprised that no1 agrees that they dislike the rev matching. IMO sometimes less is more, but hey to each his own!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
ncguy

I liked tiptronic without rev matching. The 03 g35 coupe i have driven did not have rev matching, and i liked the feel of that more. I guess it is something i will just have to get used to. I am really surprised that no1 agrees that they dislike the rev matching. IMO sometimes less is more, but hey to each his own!
I think it's more a case of everyone who drives a 7AT got what they expected, and everyone who wanted to match revs themselves bought a 6MT.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM
DonVonG

Originally Posted by ncguy
I think it's more a case of everyone who drives a 7AT got what they expected, and everyone who wanted to match revs themselves bought a 6MT.
Didnt really have that option i live in NY an needed an AWD to commute to work everyday. When it snows i still need to get to the office.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Didnt really have that option i live in NY an needed an AWD to commute to work everyday. When it snows i still need to get to the office.
I live in NY with a 6MT Sedan. When it snows, I'm reminded that I've got snow tires.

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Strange thread.
Haha, yep.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I hate when my engine rev. It wastes my gas.

Quick Reply: I hate the rev matching when downshifting!