Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Resetting the ECU in a G37 (with new mods)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 AM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Resetting the ECU in a G37 (with new mods)

I would like to bring my modding knowledge after 8 years of modding my 2005 Maxima SE: First off. The Nissan ECUs which Inifiniti's also use of course are learing ECUs.
1. When you install any mod you need to reset the ECU so that it learns the new mod.
2. The ECU will eventually adjust to the new bolt ons such as the intake and exhaust and most of time it will compensate all the variables so that the gain is virtually eliminated! As if you were running stock! That's why you need to do a tune: I recommend a proper garage with a Mustang Dyno and an experienced mechanic who is familiar with the Uprev Osiris software...many here consider this the best in the business.
3. Contrary to popular belief you do not need to unhook your battery to reset the ECU.
Most Nissans and Infinitis use the same procedure to reset the ECU: Push the start button twice without starting the engine (do not depress the brake pedal). (All the warning lights are on & best to turn off the radio when you do this.) Count to 3 seconds (you'll hear the beeps) then pump the gas pedal (all the way down) 5 times then let go of the gas pedal and wait for aprox 6.5 to 7 seconds and press the gas pedal all the way down without letting go until your SES light flashes....then let go. Then shut it down and then press the start button twice again then wait three seconds then depress the brake pedal and push start button to start you engine. I recommend doing this if you change gas types too such as regular -> High octane or High octane to very high such as Petro-Canada 94 or Sunoco 94 (Best in the business).<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up, but this procedure and its importance have been available here for some time now.

So you say that all mods are pointless without a tune because the ECU will pretty much cancel them out?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will this reset shift mappings as well?

The dealer recommended disconnecting the battery for a few minutes after doing an autocross so the transmission would forget about staying at high RPM in 2nd and 3rd for long periods of time...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Brandisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does reset shift mapping too.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
netwiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the correct process and step for 2012 G37x. I had tried other steps on forum couple of time but no luck. Last night I tried this and it worked. Don't know why!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM
veils1de

I recently got an 09 g37 and actually wanted to reset the ECU so the car can learn my driving patterns and forget the old. Would this be a good way to go about doing it?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
jon23

Yes, that looks like it is.

The one below comes directly from the FSM (Factory Service Manual), which is available to us here at G37.com.

I've followed it a few times already and it works. Make sure you time those 7 seconds right, otherwise it won't work.

Name:  ECUReset.jpg
Views: 4417
Size:  248.0 KB
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 PM
veils1de

Awesome. Thanks bud!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Is the above the procedure to do if the TB harnesses are disconnected?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM
cgrizzle

This might be a dumB question but following this procedure, how do you know if it has actually been reset? If you get the Service light to start blinking then go to full on does that confirm you have reset it?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by veils1de
Awesome. Thanks bud!
No problem at all bro!

Originally Posted by cgrizzle
This might be a dumB question but following this procedure, how do you know if it has actually been reset? If you get the Service light to start blinking then go to full on does that confirm you have reset it?
You are correct. The Service Engine light starts blinking about 10 seconds in during Step 7. Release the gas pedal within 3 seconds after the light becomes solid, then turn your engine on and let it idle for another 20 seconds and you are good to go my friend. Take her for a spin and let the ECU learning begin!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Is the above the procedure to do if the TB harnesses are disconnected?
I would do it, especially if you disconnect them for cleaning. When I cleaned mine, they were so dirty...the insides looked black, it actually looked as if that was their original color!

I actually noticed a huge difference right away, because my car used to stall quite a bit, and hesitate when I hit the gas... All that is gone!

There is a DIY for TB cleaning here too, just in case...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
tomro99

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
After coming across resetting the ECU when you add a new part to the car, I went ahead and did so since I just got the Tanabe medallion axle back a couple weeks ago. Not sure how necessary it was to do it but still went ahead with it. Now my exhaust doesn't sound as good. Sounds tamer/quiter. Before, it would roar when I would step on it. Not so much now. The exhaust was purchasd used so it was broken in already. Sorry for the dumb question but is there any way to revert? Or am I just talking jibberish and it's just me that my exhaust sounds different?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great info to know. Thanks man
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
TruLux

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomro99
After coming across resetting the ECU when you add a new part to the car, I went ahead and did so since I just got the Tanabe medallion axle back a couple weeks ago. Not sure how necessary it was to do it but still went ahead with it. Now my exhaust doesn't sound as good. Sounds tamer/quiter. Before, it would roar when I would step on it. Not so much now. The exhaust was purchasd used so it was broken in already. Sorry for the dumb question but is there any way to revert? Or am I just talking jibberish and it's just me that my exhaust sounds different?
Anyone have an answer for this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting the ECU in a G37 (with new mods)