MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   6MT owners, change out your clutch fluid regulary. (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/238338-6mt-owners-change-out-your-clutch-fluid-regulary.html)

bythabay 07-31-2012 05:36 PM

6MT owners, change out your clutch fluid regulary.

Not sure how many of you have noticed this, but our internal clutch slave
system on the 08+ G 6MT models exposes the clutch fluid to a lot of clutch dust. The dust causes very quick fluid deterioration that has led to many master, slave units going bad. In vehicles that the dust has been allowed to build up in the lines, the fluid can be very difficult to bleed, so regular maintenance is of importance. My advice is to replace the fluid twice a year or at least once at year - regardless of fluid color/etc. Keep the fluid clean and you won't have problems bleeding the system and the master and slave will last longer.

JSolo 07-31-2012 07:27 PM

I drive ~6K miles a yr, so doing it 2x seems a bit excessive. Maybe once every 12-15K miles is a better interval, or just keep an eye on the color. When it starts to darken, change it.

bythabay 07-31-2012 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jsolo (Post 3499683)
I drive ~6K miles a yr, so doing it 2x seems a bit excessive. Maybe once every 12-15K miles is a better interval, or just keep an eye on the color. When it starts to darken, change it.

I recommend replacing it before the color changes (as with brake fluid) -if the color changes significantly, the new fluid will darken almost immediately upon replacement. The dust is always generated and enters the fluid. Dust accumulation is not directly correlated to mileage but number of times the slave does its thing. Change it often, and you'll likely never have a problem with the hydraulics. Putting in a new CSC will require dropping the tranny..

cribbsjy 08-02-2012 10:45 AM

Um, hate to ask the noob question, but does clutch fluid = transmission fluid?

JSolo 08-02-2012 10:46 AM

Clutch fluid = brake fluid (dot 3/4 usually)
Manual trans fluid = gear lube (not the same as ATF)

cribbsjy 08-02-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jsolo (Post 3500859)
Clutch fluid = brake fluid (dot 3/4 usually)
Manual trans fluid = gear lube (not the same as ATF)

What I was wondering was if "change your clutch fluid" was the same as "change your transmission fluid," but your response answer my question anyways :)

So, OP, how about a write-up on how to change the clutch fluid? :) I have been driving MTs for about 8 years now and have never done this before >.>

JSolo 08-02-2012 03:56 PM

^^There's really not a whole lot to it. I'd probably evacuate 2/3's of the fluid in the reservoir using some sort of suction device, pour in new fluid, then it's just like bleeding brakes.

The entire system uses VERY little fluid, so flushing it is quick. The bleeder is very accessible at the MT.

If you've never done it, the bigger concern would be to get the bleeder open without busting it.

bythabay 08-03-2012 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by cribbsjy (Post 3501281)
What I was wondering was if "change your clutch fluid" was the same as "change your transmission fluid," but your response answer my question anyways :)

So, OP, how about a write-up on how to change the clutch fluid? :) I have been driving MTs for about 8 years now and have never done this before >.>

Here's a video of me doing it on a 1st gen G:

2003-2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe Clutch Fluid Service Procedure | Infinitihelp.com

unknowndesi 08-03-2012 04:26 AM

great advice... I swapped over from the dot 3 to dot 4 and recently motul 5.1 for the brakes and the clutch and its made a world of a difference. The pedal feels smoother and the shifts feels smoother

cribbsjy 08-03-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bythabay (Post 3501639)

Bythabay, I hate to be a bother, but could you put this information in a thread in the DIY section? I'm sure I am not the only person out there who wasn't aware of this maintenance process, and having it in a single location with the other DIY stuff would be helpful to the community.

Or maybe we can get a mod to move this thread? I don't know, just trying to help.

DashKid 08-03-2012 09:59 AM

Speaking of clutch fluid change. Need to do that some time next week. I'm almost at 60k miles.

harbin9er 08-03-2012 01:38 PM

thanks for the tip

mikelr 08-06-2012 05:23 AM

Clutch dust getting into your clutch fluid??.....Now I've heard everything....

Not to say that servicing your clutch master cylinder isn't a good thing to do on a semi-regular basis, but thinking that your fluid is darkening due to clutch dust is ridiculous.
I just had the same conversation on one of the motorcycle forums I belong to, member said that your clutch fluid gets dark because of the build-up of chain lube and dirt/gunk that collects under the front sprocket cover/slave housing. Not the case......
Funny how my V-rod with belt drive darkens up the fluid as well. LOL!
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret..... it darkens due to slave and master cylinder seal wear. Every time you push down the clutch pedal the seal on the piston on both ends wipes down the LONG length of the cylinders (as opposed to the short throw of the brake master) and micro abrasions wear off the seal material (which is black) which darkens the fluid over time. Simple as that.

drewls6 08-15-2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mikelr (Post 3503150)
Clutch dust getting into your clutch fluid??.....Now I've heard everything....

Not to say that servicing your clutch master cylinder isn't a good thing to do on a semi-regular basis, but thinking that your fluid is darkening due to clutch dust is ridiculous.
I just had the same conversation on one of the motorcycle forums I belong to, member said that your clutch fluid gets dark because of the build-up of chain lube and dirt/gunk that collects under the front sprocket cover/slave housing. Not the case......
Funny how my V-rod with belt drive darkens up the fluid as well. LOL!
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret..... it darkens due to slave and master cylinder seal wear. Every time you push down the clutch pedal the seal on the piston on both ends wipes down the LONG length of the cylinders (as opposed to the short throw of the brake master) and micro abrasions wear off the seal material (which is black) which darkens the fluid over time. Simple as that.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Cl...es/page5_2.jpg

Clutch dust is a big part of the darkening. and if you drive your car hard at all i would change the fluid every couple thousand miles

Clutch Care

IAmYourPal 11-21-2013 08:39 PM

This is an old thread but I just had to bump it! I recently changed my clutch fluid and it made a huge difference as far as way smoother shifts.

My old fluid was so dirty and gunky it was disgusting. I used the syringe method and did it 4 times. Now the fluid is squeaky clean. Easiest and most cost effective DIY ever!