Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
cgrizzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.

Hey guys,

I found an ad on craigslist the other day for an Ark Grip Exhaust for sale. He wanted $750 but I noticed he had posted it multiple times over the past month so I figured I could talk him down some. I got him down to $500 but I am a little sketched out over how easy it was for him to come down on it(unless he just doesn't know how to bargain or care).

I was just wondering if there is anything in particular I need to look out for/inspect prior to purchasing a used Ark exhaust. I was thinking like gaskets/hardware/etc are intact.

It was on his car five months and he sent me photos with a little damage on the bottom from which I assume is because his car was lowered.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-ark.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I would check the welds too depending how bad the damage is and location. Never know, there could be a weld broken.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

Maybe have him bring it to a performance shop you trust, so they can inspect it and install for you.

Some guys just want to get rid of their FS parts quickly. Most of the members on here tend to reduce their FS parts by $100 or a little more...so their parts sit forever, since there is no real savings. Clearly this guy just wants that part gone.

Youve come up on a great deal! I love my ARK exhaust.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Main thing is just to make sure there are no leaks.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
cgrizzle

Thanks for the responses. I am going to meet him and take a look at it prior.

Dumb question: How do the burnt tips look with Athens Blue. Is it a weird color contrast. I could always get different tips if it is I guess for 500$ it is hard to pass up.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
personally, i prefer the burnt tips.

i think the techno tips look rediculous.

chrome rolled look ok, but i'd prefer the single wall chrome if i were to get an exhaust...but only as a second choice to the burnt titanium tips.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a super deal on a REALLY good exhaust. I have the 2.5" full version and I couldn't be happier. I like saving $1000!

Yes, the cans hang low, so clearance is minimal. I don't think that has any structural problems.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
cgrizzle

Update: Purchased the system for $500 and figured if I needed something for it would still be less money than the brand new. Didn't have gaskets so I contacted Ark to see if they sell a gaskets kit. I attached updated photos and had a couple questions about it.

Question 1. If my shop inspects it and finds that there is a leak at that corner, how hard would it be to fix that? The seller stated there were no leaks but who knows.

Question 2. Is that just heat sink around I believe the baffle? Is it an issue that it is ripped/torn?

Question 3. What's the best method to clean/polish the system? For some reason the X pipe region is extremely dirty compared to the rest of the system.

Thanks,
Getting excited.
Ark will go on the same time as the Hotchkis sway bars since the car will be in the air anyways. Thinking I might weld on some small plates around those edges so when the car eventually gets dropped it has a skid plate to hit prior to destroying the canisters haha.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-photo-1.jpg   Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-photo-3.1.jpg   Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-photo-2.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
whatthefoie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THAT is from five months? hummm i find that hard to believe.. unless he really abused it.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
cgrizzle

Well when I met in person he mentioned a year. So who knows how long it actually was.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
SharpByCoop

1. I'd have someone weld stainless onto that area. It's not going to get worse, really, but it would patch it.

2. Those are flex areas for vibration, not a heat covering. Not sure how that will be affected. Not much you can do.

3. 3M pads with soap or WD40, or simple steel wool pads for pots and pans. That works well. You will not get the tan coloring to change, that's going through and through. All hot pipes will change to that color.

Coop
Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
cgrizzle

Ark installed looks awesome and sounds great. Was going to do it myself in the driveway then realized it would be 10x easier with a lift so I brought it down to the local shop.

Couple Random Questions:

1. After the install, it seems that car is more sluggish/slower. Is this in my mind or has anyone else noticed/felt this? I didn't think after only an exhaust install I would need a tune but who knows.

2. One exhaust tip(right) seems to stick out a little more. This is me being **** about perfection and nobody would probably ever notice but has this happened to anyone else?

3. After the install, the mechanic re-installed the brace that crossed over the old system. It took a little bit to install but I have noticed on other system photos nobody put that brace back in. Is this needed? I felt like it may be making a rattling/vibration noise because its so tight around the pipes.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-exhaust-1.jpg   Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-exhaust-2.jpg   Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-exhaust-3.jpg   Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.-exhaust-4.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM
cgrizzle

Bump

Anything? haha
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
SharpByCoop

1: You've got the exact same exhaust I do, and I've dyno'd at almost 600whp. To think it's a bolt-on with no tuning necessary on an OEM engine would be.... well, you are seeing the results. Lots of flow needs matching tune.

2. You have OCD. Looks great. I've never looked at mine that close to worry.

3. I don't have that brace and it's not mandatory. Extra support. If it's rattling, well, lose it!

Looks great. A tune will not only match to the exhaust, but there are added ponies beyond that. You saved enough to go for it.

Coop
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
cgrizzle

Thanks for the reply.

I may wait until I do an intake to do the UpRev Tune since I just priced out the tuning cost at a shop locally.

Quick Reply: Questions about possibly purchasing an ARK Exhaust.