MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Review Transgo Kit for 5AT (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/237427-transgo-kit-for-5at.html)

SharpByCoop 07-09-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ANMVQ (Post 3484971)
No all I have to do is fine one for a 7SPD, Is there one?

Negatory, good buddy. So far there are no mechanical upgrades kits for the 7spd, beyond GTM's soon-to-be-released VB modification.

It won't be a $300 kit install.

Probable labor for this kit installed on a 5AT is about 4-5 hours, plus trans fluid ($150). Plan on around a G-note. :D

Coop

navecm 07-09-2012 08:58 PM

I put a transgo kit on a V8 S10 blazer I had. It would leave rubber on the 1-2 shift while getting a little sideways. Definitely added to the fun factor of the vehicle.

dal1307 07-09-2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ANMVQ (Post 3484971)
Perfect thanx man, No all I have to do is fine one for a 7SPD, Is there one? An after my SC gets rebiult or replaced, YEA something happened to it Friday night or Saturday am, not sure, I have thread going, :dunno:

ANMVQ,
I saw your thread last night, sorry to hear that you are having problems. I am going to check it tonight to see if you have any updates.

As Coop said, I don't think there is anything out yet for the 7AT but I would think that Sam should have his VB upgrade out soon. I remember reading something about its development in a thread a good while back. I forgot that you were 7AT and not 5AT.

dal1307 07-09-2012 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ColesAircraft (Post 3485000)
This is good news! The only thing I hate about my G is the lag between 1st and 2nd w/ my AT (couldn't get the manual - I have a wife, so . . . ).

Under $300 for the kit isn't bad - but what's the cost for installation???

The labor for my installation was the same as the labor for the oil cooler install. They have to drop the tranny to do the Transgo install. Although they did not quote me the number of hours for my install Coop is probably about right in his estimate. He knows how involved the process is since he did his install himself. You should take a look at his build thread, it has pictures of some of the process. I was impressed that he took that task on!

dimsler 07-10-2012 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by dal1307 (Post 3485473)
The labor for my installation was the same as the labor for the oil cooler install. They have to drop the tranny to do the Transgo install. Although they did not quote me the number of hours for my install Coop is probably about right in his estimate. He knows how involved the process is since he did his install himself. You should take a look at his build thread, it has pictures of some of the process. I was impressed that he took that task on!

The install isn't very complicated, it comes with detailed instructions. You do not have to drop the transmission, you just remove the valve body. Its 3 actuators, 4 springs, and some holes to drill. 2 guys can get it done under 2 hours. I've done several of these.

Tuning the TQ tables if you have an uprev tuner license is simple too, just increase or decrease expected torque figures on the map, and test drive, its very much trial, error, and preference to where you like the line pressure at during a shift.

For anyone that is considering the transgo kit, it is only for drag racing, for anyone that road races or tracks there car on a course, in an aggressive hairpin turn if you're shifting gears at wot you are losing control of the car.

So for those that are the fence about it, the kit isn't for everyone, it all depends on how you are using your car; and since you're drilling the center plate, its irreversible as well.

superchargedg 07-10-2012 11:54 AM

Still one of my favorite mods and a must have with FI.

wattles 07-10-2012 07:54 PM

Sam put the VB on my 7AT. It stiffens up the tranny a bit. I am having it tweaked a bit to make it more performance and less "comfort". Sam says that for my TT setup it was more for longevity of the stock 7AT so it can handle the 500 lbs torque. Otherwise I'd probably be wearing out my tranny in short order with the softness that comes stock.
Overall I'm hoping to be midway between stock (mushy) and performance (teeth shattering) shifts when all the adjustments are done.

dal1307 07-13-2012 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by dimsler (Post 3485499)
For anyone that is considering the transgo kit, it is only for drag racing, for anyone that road races or tracks there car on a course, in an aggressive hairpin turn if you're shifting gears at wot you are losing control of the car.

I would think that one would not be driving through an aggressive hairpin turn at WOT much less shifting under WOT while driving through an aggressive hairpin turn but hey, maybe I just don't know anything about road racing or track driving. :dunno::drivingskid:

saparda 07-13-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ANMVQ (Post 3482752)
Hows you car shifting? I would worried about it banging into gear no?

shifting is FAST! but one thing i hate is the car slips alot when i push her!, the tune improved the shifting dramatically!!

but you think i should go back and tune it again after the install!?

ANMVQ 07-13-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by saparda (Post 3488002)
shifting is FAST! but one thing i hate is the car slips alot when i push her!, the tune improved the shifting dramatically!!

but you think i should go back and tune it again after the install!?

I think you should have let the TQ tables alone, Someone else chimmed in above and said they had the tune and the VB, Oh wait that was Coop-has them both

LORDHAVEMURPHY 07-29-2012 01:38 PM

My only Mods are Stillen Gen 3's and a ARK exhuast. I was wondering would it all be worth it, if I Get an Uprev tune and Transgo kit with Oil/tran cooler. I would go SC, But I have almost 80k on the OD.

Nashville G 07-29-2012 01:48 PM

My only mods are the Gen 3 and Ark also and i have it and love it! ive put about 10,000 miles on the kit and love it everyday

LORDHAVEMURPHY 07-29-2012 06:22 PM

Thanks Nashville G!! Now, all I have to do is decide on GTM or Specialty Z??

gtracing 09-23-2012 06:51 PM

would you guys recommend this mod for daily drivers? can you get this mod done without uprev tune? or is it not recommended?

dal1307 09-24-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by gtracing (Post 3527160)
would you guys recommend this mod for daily drivers? can you get this mod done without uprev tune? or is it not recommended?

It does not require the uprev tune. I think it would be fine for a DD. If you run in auto and are not really romping on it then it doesn't shift too harshly.