Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help OEM Clutch Replacement Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM
killstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Clutch Replacement Recommendations

Last week I took my car in for a service because my 6spd would make an awful grinding noise whenever I try to engage 3rd gear. It turned out to be a synchro issue (which seems to be common problem for Nissan transmissions ).
The dealership decided to replace the transmission with a new one under warranty. But as they broke the news to me, they also told me that my clutch is shot and would need to replaced. It sounded strange to me since I only have 23k miles on the car, I don't have any power mods, and I don't even drive my car like a maniac.

The service rep quoted me total of $2230 for parts only.
Flywheel Assembly: 12310-EY00A = $1100
Pressure Plate: 30205-JK40C = $1000
Clutch Release Bearing: 306A1-JK40D = $130

I knew factory parts were expensive but I had no idea it was this expensive.

Long story short, since they are not charging me labor fee, I thought I would take this opportunity to swap out the OEM with aftermarket.

Any recommendations? I'll be keeping my car at light mod, nothing crazy. I am currently looking at Exedy Stage 1.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
wait, clutch is not under warranty?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
clutch is never under warranty.

look into the
spec twin
southbend
act
jwt but their lightweight flywheel is noisy so i don't recommend this kit

you should get the aftermarket throwout bearing along with it. aka CSC(concentric slave cylinder) Zspeed probably sells them
Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Z gave way to G

If vehicle is under warranty, then clutch should definitely be under warranty. I had mine replaced in my 350Z, right after I bought it used and the clutch in my G was replaced right before I bought it used. Both times under warranty
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I replaced my OEM clutch at 60K. I got Southbend DXD Stage III. I also got their billet steel flywheel. I've had a few issues in the 9K miles since then but seem to have gotten it worked out. It was not a problem with the parts, they are awesome and the clutch now engages MUCH better than OEM. I will tell you that when you replace your clutch and or flywheel with an aftermarket one, it's very important to replace the CSC with the Zspeedperformance heavy duty one. Not doing this when I replaced the clutch seems to have been my problem. I put one in and now all is great.

Joe at Zspeedperformance is extremely knowledgable and helpful.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I replaced my OEM clutch at 60K. I got Southbend DXD Stage III. I also got their billet steel flywheel. I've had a few issues in the 9K miles since then but seem to have gotten it worked out. It was not a problem with the parts, they are awesome and the clutch now engages MUCH better than OEM. I will tell you that when you replace your clutch and or flywheel with an aftermarket one, it's very important to replace the CSC with the Zspeedperformance heavy duty one. Not doing this when I replaced the clutch seems to have been my problem. I put one in and now all is great.

Joe at Zspeedperformance is extremely knowledgable and helpful.
Thanks for this info.

OP PLEASE post which route you go and what brand you go with. I would like to be prepared.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
killstone

Spoke to Joe from ZSpeedPerformance over the phone today and he made a great recommendation for me based on my needs. (Street + Auto-X)

Just placed my order for South Bend TZR-SS kit along with billet flywheel and CSC.

I'll post a review once I break it in. No full-throttle for at least 1000 miles

Thanks for the recommendation Betty!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
AJQuiles
Registered Member

Question

Hey killstone!! isn't on 1000 milles yet I want to hear the outcome. Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
killstone

Hahah no unfortunately. I am never home so it's only been 300miles so far.
But the South Bend TZR clutch feels great. Clutch feels bit heavier but the engagement is soooooooo smooth. Unlike OEM clutch which seemed to change its engagement point every morning.

I haven't had a chance to rip it since I'm still breaking it in. But I can already tell that this thing grips like mother...
Old 07-30-2011, 10:48 PM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chattering with the lighter flywheel? Is the engagement any smoother or more consistent over OEM?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by thejumpoff
Any chattering with the lighter flywheel? Is the engagement any smoother or more consistent over OEM?
jump jump! i heard the Southbend flywheel doesn't chatter
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by killstone
Hahah no unfortunately. I am never home so it's only been 300miles so far.
But the South Bend TZR clutch feels great. Clutch feels bit heavier but the engagement is soooooooo smooth. Unlike OEM clutch which seemed to change its engagement point every morning.

I haven't had a chance to rip it since I'm still breaking it in. But I can already tell that this thing grips like mother...
I have the exact same setup. Joe and Jeremy (BB) were very helpful in helping me make my choices. The clutch does feel a bit heavier than stock but you quickly get used to it. The clutch catches very consistently in my opinion as well. So far I have about 4000 miles on it.

Funny thing was, my dealership quoted me $3600 for parts alone plus another $800 for labor to get a stock replacement when my OEM setup went out. Going aftermarket was a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
jump jump! i heard the Southbend flywheel doesn't chatter
Originally Posted by thejumpoff
The flywheel does chatter if you drive below 2,000 RPMS and a hint of chattering at idle. It needs more revs off the line as well or else it won't be smooth because the RPMs drop pretty quickly at low speeds. During gear changes you have to shift quicker compared to the OEM setup to be smooth. If you like to drive aggressively, this setup is very nice and gets you clean crisp gear changes and quick engine revs. However, I noticed that repeated hard launches will get the clutch pedal to start feeling "sticky"

Last edited by Ken; 07-31-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Ken
I have the exact same setup. Joe and Jeremy (BB) were very helpful in helping me make my choices. The clutch does feel a bit heavier than stock but you quickly get used to it. The clutch catches very consistently in my opinion as well. So far I have about 4000 miles on it.

Funny thing was, my dealership quoted me $3600 for parts alone plus another $800 for labor to get a stock replacement when my OEM setup went out. Going aftermarket was a no brainer.

The flywheel does chatter if you drive below 2,000 RPMS and a hint of chattering at idle. It needs more revs off the line as well or else it won't be smooth because the RPMs drop pretty quickly at low speeds. During gear changes you have to shift quicker compared to the OEM setup to be smooth. If you like to drive aggressively, this setup is very nice and gets you clean crisp gear changes and quick engine revs. However, I noticed that repeated hard launches will get the clutch pedal to start feeling "sticky"
thanks for the info! i just ordered mines through zspeed.

southbend tzr clutch kit
southbend flywheel
zspeed csc
b&m short shifter

those should go well on my car. my jwt clutch isn't holding up very well when going in boost, it's actually making a very bad smell lol
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys, very well appreciated.

Wei, LMK how that setup works out for you. I might go the same route when it's time to change mine if you're having good results with yours.