Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

New G37x coupe...coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 AM
jehu909

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New G37x coupe...coolant leak

Hi guys, brand new to the forum. spent the last few hours reading most of the topics.

I just purchased a 2011 g37x coupe automatic end of january. About 2 weeks ago, I took the car out on a drive at night. It only had about 300 miles at the time. The car started making a horribly loud, I mean extremely loud noise. So i pulled over and waited. It did it for 1 minute straight. I thought ok let me get home, only a few blocks away.

About 500yrds later, I hit a sewer cover on the road, and that lil bump, stopped all that loud noise/screeching noise. Tho I can still hear a sizzling/burning of fluid noise. I come home, has a strong burning smell...nothing leaking.

Next morning, I see 3 huge puddles of green fluid, in 3 various spots of the front end. I call the dealer, they come take it......keep it for whole day.......tell me, EVERYTHING IS FINE.....and they saw no leaking residue. I was blown away. Nothing has come up since then, still has a bit of a burning smell....car only has 800 miles on it now. Any advice guys?....anything I can check on my own(i have no car repair skills at all!)?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 AM
brianbot5000

If you have no car repair skills, there's nothing you'll be able to do on something as complex and compact as the engine in a G37. I would just keep all records of communication with the dealer - get their "findings" (whether they find anything or not) in writing. Take pictures yourself of what you see, and generally document what happened. Might come in handy later. And in the meantime, just drive the car and try to enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

in my strange guess, engine coolant system had an air bubble; that ended up somehow jamming in the water pump. Upon hitting the pothole, that in return then shifted the bubble, the system then "burped" some bubble/liquid out- and returned back to normal.

or thermostat got stuck half way due to air in the line, and the bump shook the bubble free

-i could be totally wrong.

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:06 PM
riderreay

Same issue

I have a 2013 G37X with 12000 miles on it and am experiencing the same issue. I have had it to the mechanic a few times, but no one was able to diagnose it. I can't drive more than 15 minutes in the heat before it overheats. My brother was working on a G35 with similar issues and found that they have a progressive coolant valve that has sensors. These sensors can go bad, but diagnosing which is very difficult and they cost about $150/sensor. Not a great design and I don't even know if this is the same issue I am dealing with.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by riderreay
I have a 2013 G37X with 12000 miles on it and am experiencing the same issue. I have had it to the mechanic a few times, but no one was able to diagnose it. I can't drive more than 15 minutes in the heat before it overheats. My brother was working on a G35 with similar issues and found that they have a progressive coolant valve that has sensors. These sensors can go bad, but diagnosing which is very difficult and they cost about $150/sensor. Not a great design and I don't even know if this is the same issue I am dealing with.
If you're able to drive it without overheating on a cool day I lean towards something blocking the radiator or broken/missing fan shroud .. I'll assume you've checked the obvious ones like the level of coolant, bubbles in the system and any oil in the coolant right? If it keeps over heating your going to get or already have a blown headgasket so fix it sooner than later.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
riderreay

Originally Posted by Kris9884
If you're able to drive it without overheating on a cool day I lean towards something blocking the radiator or broken/missing fan shroud .. I'll assume you've checked the obvious ones like the level of coolant, bubbles in the system and any oil in the coolant right? If it keeps over heating your going to get or already have a blown headgasket so fix it sooner than later.
I have replaced fluid often. No oil in coolant and the car runs fine other than the heating issues. There is no discoloration in the exhaust that would result from head gasket issues.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by riderreay
I have replaced fluid often. No oil in coolant and the car runs fine other than the heating issues. There is no discoloration in the exhaust that would result from head gasket issues.
Good! Then I would check to see if anything is obstructing the flow to the radiator through the bumper. Then make sure the fans are actually turning on when the car warms up. If they are fine, I would replace the thermostat since its cheap and easy. If it still has issues, I have no idea.