Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission Problem, I swear....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
ThaqAtaq313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problem, I swear....

I want to smack the "F" out of Infiniti. I have taken out the service foreman, master tech, and they still can't find anything wrong. My G's problem is as follows: when I down shift (without braking) car does not catch gear and when I throttle--no movement. It happens in trip-tronic and when in automatic.

Car info: 2008 G37S

Pissed as all hell!
Any suggestions?

Last edited by ThaqAtaq313; 10-12-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trade it in for a stick shift...... I know.. no help , but I couldn't resist :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
ThaqAtaq313

Originally Posted by mikelr
Trade it in for a stick shift...... I know.. no help , but I couldn't resist :-)
Almost laughed, lol
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
fldriver

I am new to the forum, but found this thread searching for the problem I had with my 2010 G37 tonight.

I was on the way home today, left the parking lot and when the car hit 4th gear, the tanny just started slipping. I had to coast to a stop, turn the car off and back on again for the tranny to reset.

I was about 5 miles from home, and I had to repeat the process about a dozen times of accelerating until the tranny went out, and coasting to a stop, restarting the car, etc....

The tow truck just left, and it is a 2 hour drive to the nearest Infiniti Dealer.

The car is a 2010 Journey Coupe that I just got last Friday, and it has about 425 miles on it.

I hope they can figure it out, I am scared to death after reading all the threads about how bad the 7AT tranny is on these cars.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by fldriver
I am new to the forum, but found this thread searching for the problem I had with my 2010 G37 tonight.

I was on the way home today, left the parking lot and when the car hit 4th gear, the tanny just started slipping. I had to coast to a stop, turn the car off and back on again for the tranny to reset.

I was about 5 miles from home, and I had to repeat the process about a dozen times of accelerating until the tranny went out, and coasting to a stop, restarting the car, etc....

The tow truck just left, and it is a 2 hour drive to the nearest Infiniti Dealer.

The car is a 2010 Journey Coupe that I just got last Friday, and it has about 425 miles on it.

I hope they can figure it out, I am scared to death after reading all the threads about how bad the 7AT tranny is on these cars.
The dealers going to have to get the error code and let you know.
I have a 7AT and had a loss of power issue once. prolly due to not breaking in the car hard enough. I've not had a re-occurance.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...-the-vert.html
Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 AM
fldriver

Originally Posted by cereal2k
The dealers going to have to get the error code and let you know.
I have a 7AT and had a loss of power issue once. prolly due to not breaking in the car hard enough. I've not had a re-occurance.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...-the-vert.html
I read your thread. My car acted a little bit differently, it didn't lose power, it acted like the transmission was shifted into neutral. If I pressed the accelerator, the engine revved just like it was in neutral.

The Dealer had the car all day long yesterday and couldn't pull a code or get it to repeat the issue.

I went and picked it up, and on the 2 hour drive home I did everything I could think of to make it happen again with no luck. Hopefully it was just a glitch in the matrix, and it was a one time thing.

If it continues it would be a serious safety concern because I live out in the country, and most of the roads I pull out on are 60 Mph speed limits.
I'd hate to pull out in traffic and have that happen again.

I shot a video of it when I got back to my Garage the first time. It clearly shows that I had the car in drive and reverse, and I was sitting in the Garage pressing the gas, and the car was just sitting there. The Dealer wouldn't have believed me if I didn't show them the video.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Good thing you had the video. Hope it does not happen again. Good luck.

I read your thread. My car acted a little bit differently, it didn't lose power, it acted like the transmission was shifted into neutral. If I pressed the accelerator, the engine revved just like it was in neutral.

The Dealer had the car all day long yesterday and couldn't pull a code or get it to repeat the issue.

I went and picked it up, and on the 2 hour drive home I did everything I could think of to make it happen again with no luck. Hopefully it was just a glitch in the matrix, and it was a one time thing.

If it continues it would be a serious safety concern because I live out in the country, and most of the roads I pull out on are 60 Mph speed limits.

I shot a video of it when I got back to my Garage the first time. It clearly shows that I had the car in drive and reverse, and I was sitting in the Garage pressing the gas, and the car was just sitting there. The Dealer wouldn't have believed me if I didn't show them the video.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
RepnBK

Did the dealership figure out what the problem was? I'm starting to experience the same issue and they arent able to pull any codes or replicate the problem. I noticed it happened more when I first drive the car for the day, like if its been sitting overnight or after I leave from work. Have another appoint. tmw to figure something out.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
are you in a high altitude location?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It clearly shows that I had the car in drive and reverse, and I was sitting in the Garage pressing the gas, and the car was just sitting there. The Dealer wouldn't have believed me if I didn't show them the video.
Even with problems like this...I wouldn't recommend doing this a whole lot...I can see the next thread now:

"I drove my car through my garage wall!!!"
Old 11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
RepnBK

Originally Posted by da mayor
are you in a high altitude location?
Nope, I'm down in northern va. Have you ever had someone come through your dealership with this issue? If you guys know what the hell is going on, I'd drive up to NY to get it fixed.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
mileage on your 2008 G37? automatic i presume? had a tranny flush yet?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM
RepnBK

Originally Posted by da mayor
mileage on your 2008 G37? automatic i presume? had a tranny flush yet?
Its an '09 33k mi, auto. havent had a tranny flush yet
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
love it!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
fldriver

Originally Posted by RepnBK
Did the dealership figure out what the problem was? I'm starting to experience the same issue and they aren't able to pull any codes or replicate the problem. I noticed it happened more when I first drive the car for the day, like if its been sitting overnight or after I leave from work. Have another appoint. tmw to figure something out.
They never figured anything out (the closest dealer is 2 hrs away from me, so I haven't pressed the issue) and it hasn't happened again. I've put another 500 miles on the car since it first happened.

I would suggest you buy a cheap digital camera that has a video function so you can try to record it when it happens. It will help the Techs at the dealer start looking somewhere because there is no history of it on the cars ECM.

I keep one in my car now so that if it happens again, I can record the whole event, and document it if it continues without resolution for a lemon law complaint.

I am not worried about it anymore, I am hoping it was a one time deal.

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
Even with problems like this...I wouldn't recommend doing this a whole lot...I can see the next thread now:

"I drove my car through my garage wall!!!"
You are right about that. I was only revving to 1800-200 RPM, and my left foot was hovering over the brake just in case. I felt pretty confident that it wouldn't do anything because I just repeated the same process a dozen or so times on my trip back to the house that day.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem, I swear....