Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch pedal reduced travel on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 AM
toastmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal reduced travel on cold starts

Hi all,

As of late, I've been noticing that my clutch pedal has noticeably less travel when I first start up the car, and the issue slowly goes away after a few minutes. The travel is such that the furthest I can push it is _just_ beyond the engagement point.

My car has 19k miles, and I've done the two clutch modes mentioned on this board--1. using coins to reduce the travel, 2. taking out that spring.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? My suspicion is that I just need to change the clutch fluid...indeed it's dirtier than the brake fluid, which was changed not too long ago, but the levels are good. If it is the clutch fluid, any idea where the air bleeder valve is? The technical drawing in the service manual is not very useful...

Thanks,
Roger
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mines been doing the same thing, not every day but quite often.

I didnt do the quarter thing but i did remove that spring.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM
MiLK_MD
Registered Member

Any update on this issue?

I originally had both mods done as well (removed assist spring and clutch stop installed). I set the clutch stop well past the engagement point but noticed on cold starts that the engagement point would be much lower i.e., closer to the firewall until the car warmed up. Occasionally the transition would be so low that I wouldn't even be able to disengage until after a few minutes of warm up. I have already changed the transmission fluid, checked the slave and master cylinders for leaks and malfunction. The only thing that remedied the problem was to replace the spring. I do not understand why having the assist spring alleviates the problem other than the fact that the pedal is not resting on the piston overnight although I don't see why that would be an issue.

Does anyone else who has the DIY clutch mod (spring removal) notice this problem?

FYI: video on bleeding clutch http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...vice-5694.html
Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM
toastmaster

Ok so as of late, I haven't been experiencing this issue _at all_. The biggest change I've noticed is that I no longer park on a downward slope at work. Before, when I did, then went home, let the car sit overnight on flat ground, the initial clutch travel was reduced. Now that I'm parking on a level spot at work, the clutch travel seems to be more consistent.