Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Something is too close to a heat source, maybe the master cylinder or something...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XALTD-1
Yes yes, clutch is hydraulic. Infiniti of Tucson called me back yesterday and informed me my slave cylinder leaked which explains why the lack of pressure in the clutch. It is fully covered under warranty so Im a happy camper
Yeah, that's not the first time someone had a slave cylinder go bad. I wonder if they are installing an upgraded part to avoid future problems?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was on a 10-days road trip. At the end of the second day as I was turning off the hyway to get to a hotel the clutch slipped, the revs climbed almost to redline and I smelled the unmistakable smell of burnt clutch.
Here I was a thousand miles from home and, worse, nowhere near a dealership.
I checked-in at the hotel and used their business-center PC to do a search on this forum for similar issues.
Some of you recommended to just letting the car cool-off and see if the problem would recur.
Next morning I tested the car and everything worked fine. I also called my dealer back in Calgary and asked the service tech's advice, he said that under the circumstances (car was behaving just fine) I should just continue on my trip and next time I brought the car for service they would check the clutch.
The issue never recurred during the rest of my trip although I could swear I got the odd whiff of burned something at various times (most likely my imagination).
My car has only 12K miles.
Thanks to all of you who shared your experiences with clutch problems in various threads and the great advice on what to do, made my decision to continue on my trip a lot easier.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I burned mine very badly once trying to launch at the drag strip. I just got too excited and my foot slipped off and dumped it at high RPM instead of feathering it out. Exceptionally embarrassing to limp down the track in 1st gear inhaling the pungent stench of failure all the way and get raped by a civic. It was fine in about an hour and I've had not issues since then. Until now 1.5 years later as it's beginning to slip. But at 60K I'm OK with that.

I just got confirmation that my new clutch and flywheel have shipped so I hope to have it installed by next week. Thaks to Mike @ CZP.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Harley'sG

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Exceptionally embarrassing to limp down the track in 1st gear inhaling the pungent stench of failure all the way and get raped by a civic.
^^LOL!!!

Are you going to tackle this and DIY or you have someone here you are using for install?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
MSCA
Banned

I burned mine very badly once trying to launch at the drag strip. I just got too excited and my foot slipped off and dumped it at high RPM instead of feathering it out. :
The disturbing thing about that is the fact that your clutch slipped instead of the rear tires spinning.

I've side-stepped the clutch at least once on every car I've ever owned and every time it resulted in a massive burnout. Even on FWD cars that I've owned. Never has the clutch slipped.

Now I'm half temped to do it in my G....but I don't really want to beat on the car like that.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
jabrother

Originally Posted by MSCA
The disturbing thing about that is the fact that your clutch slipped instead of the rear tires spinning.

I've side-stepped the clutch at least once on every car I've ever owned and every time it resulted in a massive burnout. Even on FWD cars that I've owned. Never has the clutch slipped.

Now I'm half temped to do it in my G....but I don't really want to beat on the car like that.
I've dumped the clutch on my G a couple of times, like you said I'll try it a couple of times in every car I've owned, but in the G I got plenty of wheel spin but also some unwanted axle hop, not fun!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Team Punisher

What did you get. you seem to know your s*** so you know the aftermarket s*** is loud.

I burned mine very badly once trying to launch at the drag strip. I just got too excited and my foot slipped off and dumped it at high RPM instead of feathering it out. Exceptionally embarrassing to limp down the track in 1st gear inhaling the pungent stench of failure all the way and get raped by a civic. It was fine in about an hour and I've had not issues since then. Until now 1.5 years later as it's beginning to slip. But at 60K I'm OK with that.

I just got confirmation that my new clutch and flywheel have shipped so I hope to have it installed by next week. Thaks to Mike @ CZP.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I don't know if I know my **** in this instance or not Punisher. We'll soon see.

I did a little bit of research and decided to go with a setup I'm not really familiar with from personal experience. Southbend Stage III clutch and billet steel flywheel. It's only 4 or 5 lbs. lighter than stock so I'm hoping it won't have the insufferable excessive chatter like the really light aluminum units like JWT.

I'd hope for wheel spin before clutch slippage too but unfortunately it didn't happen that way. The unit I'm putting in should be much stronger than the OEM.

I'm not doing this one myself this time although I'd like to. The shop doing the work may let me help out though, do a lot of it myself but use their lift. If I could find a place nearby that rents out lifts I'd probably DIY.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The same think happened to my car when I dropped the clutch from 4k rpm at a light. The first and only time I had ever done it (at about 25k miles) and next thing I know its bouncing off the limiter and I'm not moving. The smell of FAIL was quite pungent....
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
XALTD-1

Just FYI, the JWT aluminum lightweight flywheel is going to have a lot more clutch chatter than the OEM. I don't know if you are aware. I just ordered from CZP also but got a billet steel flywheel. It's only 4 lbs. lighter than the OEM one, but shouldn't chatter like the JWT aluminum one. I'll post my thoughts on it when I get it installed. Hopefully by next week.
Infiniti of Tucson said theres no issues with clutch assembly, so I get to save some cash. But def let me know how it goes with ur new clutch setup, ur ordering the full kit from CZP but getting a different flywheel?? from where??
Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by XALTD-1
Infiniti of Tucson said theres no issues with clutch assembly, so I get to save some cash. But def let me know how it goes with ur new clutch setup, ur ordering the full kit from CZP but getting a different flywheel?? from where??
Ordered both clutch and flywheel from CZP. Southbend Stage 3 clutch and billet steel flywheel.

So if it's not your clutch, what's the issue? Slave cylinder?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 AM
XALTD-1

Ordered both clutch and flywheel from CZP. Southbend Stage 3 clutch and billet steel flywheel.

Yep, slave cylinder fully replaced and covered under warranty. Got my car back last night from Inifinit of Tucson!! no issues so far
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM
jabrother

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

wow this has me worried....bought my 08 g37s with 16200 miles on it...car has 17500 miles on it now but I havent had any issues yet.....took it in last week and had an oil change at the dealership and have them check everything for me and said it was all good...brakes, tires, fluids, clutch, parking break ( i thought for some reason it was too soft) I have noticed the clutch engages to what I think is high...but I 'm pretty sure that's just me getting used to this car. I havent had any slips and have driven it relatively softly with the occasional romp. Only clutch issue i had was the first day I had a nice burning smell..but I chalk that up to being away from the stick world for 8 years...since then havent had an issue but will be sure to be concious of it.

Quick Reply: How many G37 clutches have gone bad with low mileage?