Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

08 G37 Engine swap into a 09 G37 Sedan

Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
jbusbygbtc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 08 G37 Engine swap into a 09 G37 Sedan

Long story short, my previous engine failed due to rod bearings and replaced it with an 08 G37 coupe engine. Notice only the engine was swapped and I do know that the transmissions are different. My only issue now is to bypass the immoblizer, NATS security function. So i had the vehicle towed to a local dealer and now they're telling me that the engine isnt reading with the ECU. But you can clearly see the red light come on the dash for the anti theft NATS. They are now wanting to charge me a diagonstic fee for $280.00 and the reprogramming would be $135.00. I had an Infiniti mechanic with over 14 years experience from another dealer in town install the engine. What am I to do now? The wiring harness is new and the engine put in only has 32k miles. I dont know what else to do. As I have already invested 5k into this project!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
deep007

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbusbygbtc
Long story short, my previous engine failed due to rod bearings and replaced it with an 08 G37 coupe engine. Notice only the engine was swapped and I do know that the transmissions are different. My only issue now is to bypass the immoblizer, NATS security function. So i had the vehicle towed to a local dealer and now they're telling me that the engine isnt reading with the ECU. But you can clearly see the red light come on the dash for the anti theft NATS. They are now wanting to charge me a diagonstic fee for $280.00 and the reprogramming would be $135.00. I had an Infiniti mechanic with over 14 years experience from another dealer in town install the engine. What am I to do now? The wiring harness is new and the engine put in only has 32k miles. I dont know what else to do. As I have already invested 5k into this project!
Nothing is different i have seen a 08 g37 getting an 2012 370z motor. The g37 had 6mt where the 370z was 7 speed auto. The car turned on right away with no codes. I know the owner of the g37 and he's still running strong not even a single problem with it. I would go back and check all plugs and make sure the ECU is plugged in right.
The following users liked this post:
jbusbygbtc (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
+1

If you're using the same ECU there is no way on earth the ECU will able to know you swapped blocks, its not like it can read engine numbers. NATS communicates with the ECU so it's not smarter either.

We've had people swap engines from G37X's (AWD) into RWD 08s with no problems either.
jbusbygbtc (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM
jbusbygbtc

Angry

Could it be possible that the dealer is trying to get money out of me on this one? It just doesnt make any sense to me on why this damn car wont start and I've had bad experiences with them ripping me off before with service. Its at Sewell Infiniti Houston. I was informed from my mechanic that not only did he check it out and make sure everything was connected properly but also 2 other mechanics as well and they are telling me that the dealer is just trying to make some money. Everything is working electronically radio, lights, navi, brake lights, head lights EVERYTHING ETC...!!!!!!

The engine fired up with no problem when it was in the 08 G37 and also the old 09 G37 engine would crank and spark but not turn over evidently because of the rod bearings going poop! I'm literally out of options right now and cant really afford anymore service on this car.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
jbusbygbtc

Here is a video of the problem I'm having. I have already taken the vehicle to Infiniti and they just tried to rip me off and didnt even really put in the time or care to fully diagnose the vehicle.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
What type of new harness did you get? What year is it from?
hooey_b (01-08-2016)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Were the leads running to the starter checked? Ground wires to the block, battery terminal fuse blocks etc.? Your engine should turn over if nothing else.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 PM
deep007

Infiniti G37 wont start - YouTube

Here is a video of the problem I'm having. I have already taken the vehicle to Infiniti and they just tried to rip me off and didnt even really put in the time or care to fully diagnose the vehicle.

Thanks
just to tell you i know auto and Manual engine have different wiring harness that might be your problem. also check the ECU plugs two plugs are identical you can to see how the wire the bend and i should lead you to its stop. also there is another connector next to there the battery sits make sure you that as well. Something is not connected right that all your problems is.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
jbusbygbtc

The donor vehicle was a 2008 G37S Coupe. During the engine swap both wiring harnesses were never swapped out. It was just a straight engine swap with wiring harness intact. My vehicle is a 2009 G37 AT with Navi/Tech package and the donor again was a 2008 G37S Manual Coupe. I explained that to the guys that performed the swap that the engine harnesses would need to be swapped out as well. But they insisted that the harnesses were the exact same. I've been so frustrated out the a** dealing with this I had my vehicle towed to JTran Studios in Houston,TX. But now I know the problem could very well be the wiring harness. I'm contacting JTran now to have those wiring harnesses swapped out.

This has been a Hiroshima hole in my wallet!!!!!

Wish me luck guys and I'll keep you all posted by the end of the day. Thanks :-)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM
kilya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn man. Sounds terrible. I hope they get you sorted out without too much extra cost. I could only imagine the frustration. AT vs Manual has a lot of electronics that are different so a harness swap is usually required.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM
deep007

The donor vehicle was a 2008 G37S Coupe. During the engine swap both wiring harnesses were never swapped out. It was just a straight engine swap with wiring harness intact. My vehicle is a 2009 G37 AT with Navi/Tech package and the donor again was a 2008 G37S Manual Coupe. I explained that to the guys that performed the swap that the engine harnesses would need to be swapped out as well. But they insisted that the harnesses were the exact same. I've been so frustrated out the a** dealing with this I had my vehicle towed to JTran Studios in Houston,TX. But now I know the problem could very well be the wiring harness. I'm contacting JTran now to have those wiring harnesses swapped out.

This has been a Hiroshima hole in my wallet!!!!!

Wish me luck guys and I'll keep you all posted by the end of the day. Thanks :-)

So donor car was an auto?

I would just check them at home check the ecu connector maybe they are connected backwards. It's located behind the glove box
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM
jbusbygbtc

Donor car was 2008 G37S Coupe Manual
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
deep007

Donor car was 2008 G37S Coupe Manual
they the wiring should be same just check the ecu if everything is pluged in I know they are tricky plugs hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Oh I was under the assumption this was only a short block swap. Good luck indeed then.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
jbusbygbtc

So the guys at JTran Studios swapped out the harness and even though it has knocked out several issues. We are still unable to get the engine up and running. I'll post a video tomorrow. Idk what the issues could be! Money,money and more money! I trust they will get the issue resolved! Wish me luck guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 G37 Engine swap into a 09 G37 Sedan