MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   DS Mode Issue (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/196912-ds-mode-issue.html)

Tony D 07-09-2009 05:16 PM

DS Mode Issue

hey guys, im new here so if this has been brought up already i apologize in advance (i did try using search and got nothing so hopefully i dont look like a huge noob haha.) About a month ago i was driving my G37 coupe around in manual mode and i noticed it wasnt shifting when i told it too. i looked down at my gauges and noticed that instead of having a 1-5 it had just a D. i was confused because the car was still in the DS side of the tranny but it was in D where its displayed in the gauges. i then shifted it back to standard D and then tried shifting it back over to DS and it still remained in D. i usually drive in manual mode so im quite frustrated by this issue. i brought it into infiniti and they said they ran a diagnostic and claimed that everything is functioning properly. they also noted that it reverts to D sometimes if you drive it rough while manually shifting although ive never had this problem before. i took that into consideration and drove it softly and i still have the problem. anyone out there having a similar issue or heard of it before? id really like to get it fixed but im not sure what to tell infiniti. any and all help with be much appreciated :biggthumpup:

finagle69 07-09-2009 06:22 PM

Tony,

There is a thread on here about this, but it is difficult to find. Myself and two others (i think) here have or have had this issue.

Mine went from "man that's weird, I coulda sworn I pressed 'up-shift' hard enough" to "when the eff is this going to register that i pushed up-shift?" gradually over the course of a couple of months.

Finally, I took it to my (at that time) preferred dealership, who effectively told me to go pound sand. They said that the computer wasn't throwing codes, so nothing was technically wrong.

After a few heated phone calls and such, I took it to the other dealership here. the service guy really took care of me and treated me with respect after I told him about the bad dealings with the first place.

At first, he called and said the tech couldn't find a problem.

I'll just stop right there and let that marinate...

basically, he hooked up a computer and saw no codes... this will obviously not present the problem. So I drove to the dealership and requested the tech ride with me. After this, the tech said, "dude, there's something definitely not right here.", to which i said, "thank you..."

The fix, as far as anyone knows, is for the dealership to replace the entire shifter assembly. Once this was done, my DS and M modes were back to perfect working order.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John.

Mike 07-09-2009 06:54 PM

Go the the dealer, and tell them you can replicate the problem, and then, proceed to show them.

Any service writer worth anything should go for a quick ride with you.

Tony D 07-09-2009 07:13 PM

fortunately, one of the people that handle the paperwork inside has been a long time friend so ill explain all of this to him...how long did it take for infiniti to order/install the parts needed to fix the vehicle?

finagle69 07-10-2009 02:46 PM

If I'm remembering right, once they committed to the problem, it only took them a couple of days to complete the work. I'm assuming a day to receive the parts, then a day to install/test.

edit: My inflatable side bolsters were screwed up at that time as well, so the dealership had to replace them also. So I'm not sure how dependable my timeline above is. Now that I remember, they had my car for about 5 days due to Infiniti Corp. not knowing how to handle the side bolster issue.

J.Oh 07-11-2009 05:00 PM

this JUST started happening to me the other day and i have it recorded on video...

gmlee86 07-11-2009 07:26 PM

Mine's been doing this since February. Too lazy to take it in though :/ Mike should I take it to Riverside when I have time? Still have any pull there? I forgot to ask you about this yesterday at ten ten lol

Tony D 07-11-2009 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by J.Oh (Post 2680650)
this JUST started happening to me the other day and i have it recorded on video...

ill be your best friend if you could email me that video :D

shaybly 09-24-2009 08:12 PM

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. My car is in the shop now for the 2nd time and they are having a hard time getting the car to replicate. They said they wanted to do a "pin check" before replacing the entire shifter. They already replaced another part that obviously was not the issue.

Tony D 09-25-2009 02:33 AM

when you get to infiniti, be sure to ask to take the technician for a drive. thats what i did but you could always just abuse the tranny a bit to get it to purposely get stuck in D mode while in the DS position. leave the car on, and the shifter in that position and throw your e-brake on then ask the technician to take a look. they should grab a diagnostic tool and solve it. i got lucky and got an awesome technician who loved his job. of course, when i needed it to screw up it wouldnt (just my luck). as we pulled in, it messed up and it got all fixed up. the entire shifter feels different. before, when i would go from D to P or vice versa, it was VERY loud and stiff. now, it is very very smooth and quiet.

RISKY GUY 09-25-2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by J.Oh (Post 2680650)

have the shifter checked out.

Mine just went, i could not duplicate problem until it got full temp. ??

I had my shifter replaced.

KAHBOOM 10-11-2009 09:43 PM

I just started having this issue on Friday. Going in Tuesday to get it checked out and printing off this thread. infiniti should release a TSB for this.

wakeboardr116 06-14-2010 01:11 AM

Anyone have any new info on this? Mine just started doing it yesterday.

Q8y_drifter 06-14-2010 05:55 PM

the problem is electrical and is in the shifter. Most people got their shifter units replaced.

Oggie 11-14-2010 02:32 AM

I have this problem ocurring. Any further news on what is the proper fix? Other than a full tranny replacement?