MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Opinion on Transmission Cooler (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/196696-opinion-on-transmission-cooler.html)

Lastchance 07-03-2009 09:39 AM

Opinion on Transmission Cooler

Im going to STillen on Mon to get an oil cooler. Does anybody know if the transmission cooler is worth buying also?? I have a 5AT. The Stillen Trans Cooler seems to be about the same size as the stock one.......

Q8y_drifter 07-03-2009 11:20 AM

we have a tranny cooler?

Lastchance 07-03-2009 09:11 PM

Anybody?

VRG37S 07-04-2009 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lastchance (Post 2674743)
Anybody?

Well the 5AT's have a built in trans cooler...It's small but it works...If your really pushing your car I would say go for it and get a bigger trans cooler.... You definitely want to keep your trans cool when romping your car.... Let me know what the oil cooler sets you back...Im looking into one of those for my car....

Kidcane 07-04-2009 01:18 AM

If you plan on tracking hard I would say yes. I know a few members had some downshift issues on the AT when it got real hot.

Q8y_drifter 07-04-2009 06:13 AM

Where is the stock oil cooler located?

Mike 07-04-2009 04:52 PM

IMO, get the tranny cooler to be safe.

I do know TerryCS has one on his 5AT, but he also has a shift kit, and is putting out a lot more power.

Dustin, before you get the oil cooler, I'd recommend getting a oil temp probe and gauge installed, so you can track the changes it actually makes to your car.

Lastchance 07-04-2009 07:53 PM

Cool thanks....what is the shift kit?? Is there a website I can check out for that??

Q8y_drifter.....there is no stock oil cooler but the stock tranny cooller is down by the vents, in front of our radiators.

Mike, do you think the Stillen Tranny Cooler will be more effective than the stock one??

Mike 07-05-2009 03:01 PM

I don't know specifically what brand/parts are used by GTM, but it basically makes it so your shifts come faster and harder (which is technically better). Normally trannys are made to "slip" a bit and try to be in two gears at once, to smoothen the shifts out.

What happens with Terry's car is that it revs so fast that he'll bang off of the rev limiter between shifts, even in DS. The shift kit speeds up the shift so that he won't hit his rev limiter.

Re: the Stillen: I have no idea to tell the truth, and the only way to really tell is to have a temperature probe....

Lastchance 07-06-2009 12:28 AM

Cool thanks...

Q8y_drifter 07-06-2009 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lastchance (Post 2675230)
Cool thanks....what is the shift kit?? Is there a website I can check out for that??

Q8y_drifter.....there is no stock oil cooler but the stock tranny cooller is down by the vents, in front of our radiators.

Mike, do you think the Stillen Tranny Cooler will be more effective than the stock one??

The cooler on the passenger side infront of the radiator is for the power steering. Can you take a pic of the tranny cooler you are talking about? Thanks

Lastchance 07-08-2009 03:24 PM

I went to Stillen yesterday and had the oil cooler and transmission cooler installed. The transmission cooler is the unit in front of the radiator.

I am going to go to my next track event in Fontana, Ca in August....I'll post up how the car feels later...

Mike 07-08-2009 05:25 PM

@ Dustin: Open testing at Buttonwillow this weekend if you're interested. Open track.

Lastchance 07-08-2009 05:50 PM

Nice....I just may be there. How do I sign up?? Is it Speedventures or another company running the track...?? Thanks

Mike 07-08-2009 06:07 PM

It's just an open testing day at Buttonwillow.

Really rare to be on a weekend.

$210 for full day, or $120 afternoon only, including gate fee.

Configuration #13, CW (Time attack config)

Call me if you want to go... I'll ride shotgun. I still don't have tires. I have a few friends going as well. Also, Laguna Seca is the weekend after, so there's gonna be a lot of cars tweaking their suspensions.... :biggthumpup: