Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Grounding Kit question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
pdarby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounding Kit question

I would like to get an intelligent answer to this question. EXACTLY what does a "Betty grounding wire kit" do for your car? What is the problem with the factory grounding kit? I'm just curious, everyone seems to make a big deal about it.

PD
Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdarby
I would like to get an intelligent answer to this question. EXACTLY what does a "Betty grounding wire kit" do for your car? What is the problem with the factory grounding kit? I'm just curious, everyone seems to make a big deal about it.

PD
The theory:
Installing a grounding kit is a safe and reliable way of creating a low resistance ground path for your car. The kit provides direct ground paths from battery negative to body, chassis, and specific engine components to give a noticeable improvement in electrical circulation. Reduced electrical “noise” can improve ECU signals and throttle response resulting in better performance and reduction in flat spots, better audio amp grounding and many other benefits associated with improved grounding.

To date I'm not aware of any scientific testing to prove this theory by measuring improved response times. Science definitely wouldn't disprove it "could" have an impact however.

Many would agree the chance for a minimal improvement and piece of mind worth the cost, especially when you consider how important electronics are with the fundamental operations of our cars today.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 06-24-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
KnoxvilleG37

.....waits for Black Betty to answer the man's question.....
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
.....waits for Black Betty to answer the man's question.....
As I have a brief explanation of what they do in my vendor thread, and I'm pretty active and answer PMs promptly, I presume that the OP wanted a non biased and objective explanation from someone besides me who's not selling them. That's what I'd want.

No to mention that Red's explanation was dead on and definitely better than I could have expressed it. I will likeley be "borrowing" his words. Great job Red.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you want betty to answer or me an electronic technologist?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM
shumby

Red charge betty for using your work put a M after your post. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
RedG37SNC

Have an A.A.S in Electronics Tech myself, although unused for years..lol

Take a look at the little stock grounding wire what is it a 12 guage or so...

Any wire will have inductance and therefore, inductive reactance. The longer the wire, the higher the inductive reactance and the higher the opposition is to the flow of current. The fatter or larger the wire, the lower the opposition to the flow of current.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
shumby

I use mine all the time I work with it on drilling equipment and 80% of the issues we get are poor or faulty grounding
Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
KnoxvilleG37

agreed....Red gave a perfect explanation.....I just felt like being a smart a$$ since Black Betty sells kits
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a related question. The G has a "Variable Voltage Control System" which according the owner's manual measures the battery drain during normal operation and adjusts the generator's voltage output.

There's a warning in the manual not to ground any accessories directly to the battery terminal as this will bypass the VVCS and the battery may not charge properly.

If you look at the charging system diagram the battery ground is connected to a current sensor monitored by the ECM which ultimately controls the generator via the IPDM E/R.

Wouldn't these grounding kits effectively bypass the VVCS by providing a direct path to ground?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
shumby

There have been a few issues with the g35 with this causing an issue. I have an alternate grounding point that will eliviate this issue, even though that I have not heard of any problems on the 37 yet. I will post a pic of my install when i get my kit. damn shipping is slow to canada almost 20 days now.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it help with the AT changing gear delays? :P
Old 06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Tranny is one of the easliest felt benefits of the grounding kit. It will definitely help the shifting. As for the radio and other systems I couldn't tell one difference, personally. But you do feel the tranny.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by Mysticalism
does it help with the AT changing gear delays? :P
The primary delay is rev matching which is by design however there's probably milliseconds of improvement noticed by some in the execution of the controls that results in a noticeable improvement.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
I have a related question. The G has a "Variable Voltage Control System" which according the owner's manual measures the battery drain during normal operation and adjusts the generator's voltage output.

There's a warning in the manual not to ground any accessories directly to the battery terminal as this will bypass the VVCS and the battery may not charge properly.

If you look at the charging system diagram the battery ground is connected to a current sensor monitored by the ECM which ultimately controls the generator via the IPDM E/R.

Wouldn't these grounding kits effectively bypass the VVCS by providing a direct path to ground?
The grounding kits work to improve grounding of chassis ground to negative. The stock design already includes a wire from the negative terminal to chassis, these are just bigger wires with less inductive reactance along with direct connections versus going through already connected parts of the car.

Quick Reply: Grounding Kit question