Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine trouble -- help diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
AMCDeac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine trouble -- help diagnose?

My G37S stalled almost immediately as I tried to return to work after today's break. I started again but immediately the car lurched hard as the engine tried to stall again. I made it around the block and back to my driveway but had my doubts that I would actually make it that far. (the lurching problem persisted the whole way around the block, maybe 1/2 mile). The car had never done this before so the problem seems to have appeared "out of the blue" while I was inside my house. No problem getting to work this am, or going to lunch this afternoon.

My initial thought was bad gas, although I don't really know what that would feel like. However, that does not make sense since I drove more than 200 miles yesterday on that same tank. I am using premium name-brand gas.

My current thought is something electronic, but I don't know what that would be.

Any thoughts or ideas on this one? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My guess is your ECU went a lil haywire... My car did this once and I reset the ECU and everything was fine... Kinda trippy when it happens... Totally a "WTF?" situation...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
do you have an injen CAI installed? could be your engine hydro locking maybe? if not probably ecu problem
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
AMCDeac

Thanks for the insights. Only install involving the electric system is a radar detector.

I am sure it was the ECU. However, I am a bit embarassed to say that when I went out with my "re-set the ECU" instructions tonight, I first turned the car on for the kicks of it and it worked fine. I don't know what was going on but fortunately the problem was somehow self healing.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
BroDaJin

make sure you check your oil level. Sound like a problem with the MAF meter.
How many miles on the car?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AMCDeac
Thanks for the insights. Only install involving the electric system is a radar detector.

I am sure it was the ECU. However, I am a bit embarassed to say that when I went out with my "re-set the ECU" instructions tonight, I first turned the car on for the kicks of it and it worked fine. I don't know what was going on but fortunately the problem was somehow self healing.
If you have an Automatic transmission remember that there is a TSB out for the ECU for a similar issue that you described.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
AMCDeac

Originally Posted by BroDaJin
make sure you check your oil level. Sound like a problem with the MAF meter.
How many miles on the car?
Interesting comments. I had the oil changed at the dealership last weekend. I am at around 10k miles (with one warning and one speeding ticket being corrected to improper equipment with the assistance of legal counsel). The car is a 6mt. I will check the oil. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Last edited by AMCDeac; 09-18-2008 at 09:14 PM.