Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

for those who change their own oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
akfox37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those who change their own oil.....

well, i just did this for the first time today. coming from a 1998 honda this was much more time consuming due to all the screws and bolts you have to remove before you even get started (not to mention it took a pipe wrench for me to be able to get the oil filter off that the guys in the factory put on as tight as possible).

well anyways, i am not too thrilled about having to remove the cover underneath every time I change my oil/filter. so my plan was to cut some sections of this underneath panel out so that I would be able to have it screwed in and bolted down, but I would be able to access the oil drain bolt and the filter. so i guess i am just looking for people's opinions on whether or not this is a good idea or a bad idea. if i decide to do this i will take some pics and let everyone know how it goes. thanks for any input!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an easier way... here's my DIY:

1. Pull into your local Infiniti dealer's service valet
  2. Greet the nice Service man and ask for an oil change
  3. Grab a free coke or coffee and peruse the new G37S's for 15min
  4. Watch CNN for 15Min
  5. Pay the lady $29-$44
  6. Pick up your car
Of all the services you can get done on your car, the oil change is the most cost effective, you don't even have to deal with disposing the oil.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 08-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Achilles

Dude, are you kidding??? Just take it to a place that you trust... it's not that expensive and do exactly what RedG37 said......
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope you didn't remove the whole underneath plastic / underpan. There is a small 4 inch flap that bends that only requires about 4 screws to be taken out and then you have full access to plug and filter.

Honestly, it doesn't take me longer than 10-15 minutes to change the oil in the G37.

Last edited by Blackjack; 08-18-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 AM
MitoXbR

I glad I dont have to pay for oil change for 2yrs
Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC

3. Grab a free coke or coffe and peruse the new G37S's for 15min
  4. Watch CNN for 15Min
  5. Pay the lady $29-$44
  6. Pick up your car
Of all the services you can get done on your car, the oil change is the most cost effective, you don't even have to deal with disposing the oil.
This is exactly what I do now. I used to change my own oil/filter in past cars but it became quite troublesome to dispose of the old oil, so I now prefer to go to my dealer as you say (Mornings are best because they haven’t yet run out of free doughnuts).

In addition to looking at the new cars, I also like to browse around the parts department area looking for new trinkets and accessories.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov
This is exactly what I do now. I used to change my own oil/filter in past cars but it became quite troublesome to dispose of the old oil, so I now prefer to go to my dealer as you say (Mornings are best because they haven’t yet run out of free doughnuts).

In addition to looking at the new cars, I also like to browse around the parts department area looking for new trinkets and accessories.

LOL!!

I just did the same thing this past Friday morning. It took all of 30 minutes.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
hgunner

Great information Blackjack! I was about to tackle this job,

Some of us do not live next door to an infinity dealer (and even if I did I'm not sure I would bother to use them). Currently my closest dealer is over 120 miles away. So the gas (and time) is not worth it.

And I don't trust the quick lube places (just read some of the stories on the internet). If you do use a quick lube, always check there work (look for oil drips, or oil loss due to loose oil plug/filter!). Also, many times the quick lube places overtighten and often strip bolts. I know when I do it myself, the oil plug and filer on on correct (tight but not overtight). And it does not really take long to do.

I always changed my oil on my G35 myself but do not remember the crease? is that something new to the G37 (or am I crazy)? On the G35 you could bend the underpan down but it was a mess so I always took off the undertray to avoid a mess. (17 bolts... arg). I will try this on my G37
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hgunner
Great information Blackjack! I was about to tackle this job,

Some of us do not live next door to an infinity dealer (and even if I did I'm not sure I would bother to use them). Currently my closest dealer is over 120 miles away. So the gas (and time) is not worth it.

And I don't trust the quick lube places (just read some of the stories on the internet). If you do use a quick lube, always check there work (look for oil drips, or oil loss due to loose oil plug/filter!). Also, many times the quick lube places overtighten and often strip bolts. I know when I do it myself, the oil plug and filer on on correct (tight but not overtight). And it does not really take long to do.

I always changed my oil on my G35 myself but do not remember the crease? is that something new to the G37 (or am I crazy)? On the G35 you could bend the underpan down but it was a mess so I always took off the undertray to avoid a mess. (17 bolts... arg). I will try this on my G37
No problem... The G35 didn't have have the crease. At least my 2005 didn't. The G35 wasn't hard to do, but given the underpan as you described it could be a challenge doing it without removing the whole underpan.

Infiniti did a good job putting in the crease to were you can just fold back and access both. Another thing I found is is the get one of the oil change "sockets". Much easier than trying to get a stupid oil filter wrench up there. It is a tight spot, but not bad.

I dispose of my oil at my local AutoZone. They have a big container in the back and you just walk in, go back in the back behind the big oil racks and it is back there. They end up selling it off so they don't charge you. I think places like Advanced and O'Reillys does this too.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
akfox37

i know its not hard to take it to the dealer, but i sort of have a problem with letting other people touch my car ( especially when i am perfectly capable of doing it on my own). and with what i've heard about the dealers they would probably throw in a free car wash and scratch the hell out of my car. its not ideal for me to pay them more money and have them scratch my car/waste my time.

thanks for the info blackjack, i can handle removing 4 bolts each time to do this. i just also removed the 12 screws and 3 retaining clips yesterday haha. oh well, i guess i learned from my first time and next time will be a lot smoother.

and i also live about 2 minutes away from an autozone, not very hard to dump oil there

Last edited by akfox37; 08-18-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now that just made me laugh out loud, f**king hilarious.. thanks man..

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC

3. Grab a free coke or coffee and peruse the new G37S's for 15min
  4. Watch CNN for 15Min
  5. Pay the lady $29-$44
  6. Pick up your car
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by christian655321
now that just made me laugh out loud, f**king hilarious.. thanks man..
BEST PRACTICE UPDATE: G37 Oil Change Rev. 123432.10:
  3. State clearly the car is not to be WASHED!!!!
  4. Grab a free coke or coffee and peruse the new G37S's for 15min
  5. Watch CNN for 15Min
  6. Pay the lady $29-$44
  7. Pick up your car
Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im with you on this... i was just saying the way you put it made me laugh because that how I would do it. At my dealership they have models for salespeople crazy hot.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
RedG37SNC

Yep, same here. I do have a premium version as well...

Instead of 15Min of CNN, go outside and watch the hot service chick drying cars as they come out of service. When she ask how come you aren't getting your car washed tell her you'd have to know her better before you'd let her give you a wash Feel free to depart some washing best practices like using a clean MF mit & towel for each car to break the embarasment... she will remember you.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

I wish I knew why some dealerships charge more for oil changes.... like mine charges 51-54 bucks...

Some of you all say its 30s and 40s for you and some have said over a 100...

I just dont get why they vary so much....

Quick Reply: for those who change their own oil.....